Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Home Theater Intro Featuring CERT'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-14-05, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Joshua Zyber's DVD review of Home Theater Intro Featuring CERT at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14025 and...

I find it rather shocking that the review of the Home Theater Cert Intro wasn't better, esp compared to the Cinemawise disc.

For one, the animation for Cert is longer at a minute and a half, and looks very professionally produced compared to paying $50 for only 20 seconds of customize animation? And doesn't look like a kid with a cheap 3D program produced it. And the Cert customization allows for 50 or so characters that give you the option for a personal message, not just Joe Shmoe's Home Theater.

Next, the sound is fully discreet 5.1 and nicely showcases the customers audio system.

An as for the rest of the "features" on the Cinemawise disc - I'm sure someone would want that stuff, but seriously, if I invite guests over to see a movie the last thing we are going to do is sit around and wait for it to start. Some of us don't like going to the movies for that very reason. This Cert one is short, very sweat and to the point - nevermind that my sisters kids adore the character, they jump and dance around whenever the robot does.

This review also left out the inclusion of 3 trailers, one Dolby Digital and 2 DTS that are found on the DVD

For the High Definition animation, my disc has an installation read me file that goes along with the HD version of the animation, you need to actually insert the disc into your DVD-Rom to get that far, but I would think that is fairly obvious (most computer software supply the manual on the disc these days). If you do have a HTPC this animation is absolutely gorgeous!

I guess I could agree on the DTS option, personally it never occurred to me, I'm happy with the Dolby version and probably would have chosen that option irregardless.

So, there's a very different opinion of this Intro disc, but you, the reader will have to decide for yourself. Personally, for me it's $55 well spent (for just the HD version I would have paid that much)
Old 01-15-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
To each their own. In my opinion, there's no way that the CeRT disc is worth $55.

Regarding the Read Me file for the high def version, have you actually read it? It basically says, "Save this program to your computer and do with it whatever you do with other high definition files". Not terribly instructive.

I'll edit the review to include mention of the DD and DTS trailers.
Old 01-16-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
To each their own. In my opinion, there's no way that the CeRT disc is worth $55.

Regarding the Read Me file for the high def version, have you actually read it? It basically says, "Save this program to your computer and do with it whatever you do with other high definition files". Not terribly instructive.

I'll edit the review to include mention of the DD and DTS trailers.
Josh i agree 100% with your review....55$$ for 102 seconds is just plain crazy...there are far better options out there,where you get,so much more.

it`s also refreshing to read a review of a product that Wasn't Bought and Paid For by the manufacturer...

Last edited by tommy28; 01-16-05 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-17-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tommy28
it`s also refreshing to read a review of a product that Wasn't Bought and Paid For by the manufacturer...
Hey, I make no promises! This disc was a free screener from the manufacturer. They're not guaranteed a good review if we don't like the product, though. Complete objectivity is in the contract.
Old 01-30-05, 11:44 AM

I'd agree with your assesment Kenobi, not sure I understand the fairly negative review - especially in comparison to the Cinemawise disc. I have and enjoy both discs, but they are two completely different products. I normally only use the Cinemawise DVD for kids parties when we are trying to keep the kids quiet while we get them into the theater in stages.

The CeRT intro is much more impressive for adults and does what I'm looking for. Demo the HT, and get to the movie. We don't want to sit through 10 minutes of trivia everytime we sit down to watch a movie. If you skip the trivia, what's left on the Cinemawise disc is not nearly as appealing, and you'd have to play all the little intros to to equal the time of the animated CeRT short.

One word of caution, the following portion of the CeRT review is what prompted me to order the Cinemawise DVD:

Both sound options are excellent, but the DTS track is the more robust option and has better kick from the bass channel. Unfortunately, both soundtracks are 5.1 mixes and will not trigger a center rear channel if you have one. This isnít a problem, per se, but itís a minor oversight that might have been nice to address.

Apparently Cinemawise made the same "oversight" because as it turns out, it is also a 5.1 mix.

Bottom line, I like both products, but for different applications. Unlike the reviewer, however, if I had to pick only one, I'd pick the CeRT intro because in practice, it is the one that I use far more often. And with the money I spent on my HT, I want that Skywalker soundtrack to blow away my friends with.
Old 01-30-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheaterGoer
Apparently Cinemawise made the same "oversight" because as it turns out, it is also a 5.1 mix.
Perhaps, but the Cinemawise disc does not make a point of doing a targeted walkaround to demonstrate each speaker, as the CeRT disc does. Also, the track on Cinemawise may be a 5.1 mix but it matrixes into a surround back channel well if you turn on EX decoding anyway. The CeRT disc is straight 5.1 with no activity in the surround back.
Old 01-30-05, 12:04 PM

BTW - I ended up going with the $40 non-custom version of the CeRT, since I already had the Cinemawise version customized.

What's funny is your review prompted me to get the Cinemawise DVD instead of the CeRT initially. And although I disagree with the summary of your review and wish I had just purchased the custom CeRT to begin with - I actually agree with the review as a whole. My mistake was not reading carefully enough to recognize that the issues you found as negatives were not negatives from my viewpoint. (Except for the lack of a true EX or ES soundtrack which I would have preferred on both discs)
Old 01-31-05, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It seems pretty clear to me that the Company can not take constructive criticism to well....neither poster contributes to dvdtalk,and only signed up to voice there opinion....

very un-Professional!

Last edited by tommy28; 01-31-05 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 01:44 PM

It seems pretty clear to me that the Company can not take constructive criticism to well....neither poster contributes to dvdtalk,and only signed up to voice there opinion....

very un-Professional!
I don't claim to be a professional (in DVD's anyway), and if I'm not supposed to sign up to voice my own opinion, who's opinion do you recommend? As I said, the heart of the review I agree with, and I enjoy both Intros that were mentioned in the article. But if I flat out disagreed with the review, is it taboo to mention that on DVDTalk?

Maybe instead of posting:
"there are far better options out there,where you get,so much more"
you could share that info for those of us that are looking for quality intros to show off our HT. I don't buy DVD's (holding out for HD DVDs), I rent them from NetFlix, so I haven't really had a need to to do anything but lurk until this point.

You seem a bit defensive when faced with an opinion that is only moderately different than your own. Do you have some financial interest in one of these "other" Intro companies (other than Cinemawise or CERT) - Next you'll be challenging me to a HT showdown - a challenge I'd happily accept
Old 01-31-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,214 Posts
Just to be clear, I know TheaterGoer from another home theater-related forum I read, and I can vouch for the fact that he's not a shill from any of the companies producing these DVDs. He's just an enthusiast like any of us.

I'm not familiar with Kenobi, so I can't say anything about his background one way or the other.
Old 01-31-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ē Adam Tyner ē

I'm not familiar with Kenobi, so I can't say anything about his background one way or the other.
I've been told by reliable sources that he's our only hope.

das
Old 01-31-05, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey

das
You may think so, and it sure seems that way, but:

Spoiler:
I hear he gets capped in Episode 4 - we'll have to wait and see
Old 01-31-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Weesa in big doodoo dis time!