DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Would HBO's Deadwood be a good blind buy?

Old 12-29-04, 09:27 PM
Banned

Would HBO's Deadwood be a good blind buy?

OK, I like Westerns to a point. It's not my favorite genre, but from time to time, I like to watch a Western for some good ol' "cowboy diplomacy". I'm more of a fan of modern Westerns, (ie. post-John Wayne, Henry Fonda, etc), but I can tolerate and enjoy Sergio Leone's stuff.

Anyway, I haven't really seen any of Deadwood and so therefore don't know much about it. What is the show about, much action, or does it focus around a saloon for the most part?

Is it worth a blind buy for the high price of HBO sets?

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-29-04 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 09:45 PM
Registered

Yes
Old 12-29-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's an acquired taste
Old 12-29-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the series so I have to say "yes".
Old 12-29-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I think it's an acquired taste
I agree totally. I was turned off by the first three episodes, but I caught pieces of others and thought it was a show I could get into if I gave it a chance. I'd rent before I bought though, and thanks to Warner's crazy pricing for these sets, that's probably not a bad idea.
Old 12-29-04, 10:28 PM

No, I really liked the show, but the price HBO charges for box sets is rediculous. If you dont like it your out $100 bucks.
Old 12-29-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do you mind a lot of filthy language?
Old 12-30-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it a lot, and I don't normally care for westerns.

Not a lot of replay value for me though. I'd just rent them or wait until HBO replays them probably right before the new season starts
Old 12-30-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely a rent first, buy if you will want to watch again.

You said western really isn't your favorite genre. Although it has great acting and a good storyline, it's still a western styled show.
Old 12-30-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is one that you'll either love or hate. There is no middleground with this show. Definately rent first.
Old 12-30-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the show, but a like Burnt Alive says, you'll love it or hate it. I would rent it first. Give yourself at least half the season before you give up. There is more cussing in Deadwood than any show I've seen.
Old 12-30-04, 09:23 AM
Cool New Member

I seen the first episode of this, and found it rather tedious (Tarkovsky-nerd talking). Obviously, a proper opinion of the show can't be attained from the first episode, but it didn't really make me want to even watch it the next week. Really, this is an ideal show to revisit for me on DVD, because it always sounded like something I'd love, but it's way too expensive for a 'maybe.' I'll just wait for a sale or something.
Old 12-30-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have been buying Sopranos and Six Feet Under which are two shows I really appreciate - but Deadwood never succeeded in holding my attention.
Old 12-30-04, 09:39 AM

absolutely yes, loved the show from the first episode and managed to get quite a few people into it as well. The character development is great and the show definetly does not have the slow downs of recent sopranos seasons.
Old 12-30-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with the "aquired taste" camp.

I hate westerns, but gave this a shot because of the great reviews. I barely made it through the first episode. Then gave it a much more serious shot when it went to repeats, but only made it through 4 episodes.

It's just not something I could get into or care much about.
Old 12-30-04, 12:27 PM

yes, the show had the best writing i have ever seen in a tv show. It is a bit steep, but well worth it.
Old 12-30-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sticky Bomb
yes, the show had the best writing i have ever seen in a tv show
How hard is it to write "c*cksucker" into every sentence?
Old 12-30-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
How hard is it to write "c*cksucker" into every sentence?
You mean 3 c0cksuckers and 2 fucks. In every sentence. That takes skill.

What was it that people didn't like? The only things I've heard are "too much swearing" and a very generalized "didn't like it/hold my interest""... I find it at least as compelling and high-quality as the other HBO shows...

I would have said yes, it's a great blind buy before reading these responses. IMO, this has the best western characters in a decade.
Old 12-30-04, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
OK, I like Westerns to a point. It's not my favorite genre, but from time to time, I like to watch a Western for some good ol' "cowboy diplomacy". I'm more of a fan of modern Westerns, (ie. post-John Wayne, Henry Fonda, etc), but I can tolerate and enjoy Sergio Leone's stuff.

Anyway, I haven't really seen any of Deadwood and so therefore don't know much about it. What is the show about, much action, or does it focus around a saloon for the most part?

Is it worth a blind buy for the high price of HBO sets?
I don't know what you mean by "modern westerns"...stuff like Unforgiven? If so, Deadwood might be for you. Ultra-realistic(ie filthy people, language, living conditions) people being petty, cruel, and multi-dimensional. Even the "villain" of the show is occasionally a good guy(in certain contexts), and the "heroes" do rotten things if necessary.

Basically it's the story of a frontier town in the Dakota territory(theoretically "owned" by native americans but soon to be annexed by the US), experiencing a mild gold rush. The stories revolve around saloon owner(and unofficial town leader) Al Swearengen, who is also responsible for most of the local crime. He's impacted by the booming population of the town which threatens his stranglehold and draws other main characters who will come to oppose him, like a former Sheriff who wants to start a hardware store, and the legendary Wild Bill Hickock, who's there ostensibly to mine for gold, but ends up spending his time gambling and drinking.

The acting is excellent from every player(Timothy Olyphant, who plays the former Sheriff, Seth Bullock, is a revelation) with Ian McShane's Al Swearengen probably one of the most visceral characters in tv history.

Like others said, you either like it or you don't. The extreme violence, profanity, and sexual content rules out a blind buy imo, even if you don't mind any of those things. Rent 1 disc, is my recommendation.
Old 12-30-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the show a lot, but given the price, it probably isn't a good blind buy.
Old 12-30-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

I would just tivo it, most likely. Or get a tivo, which is cheaper than buying the dvd, but it is a good one to watch.

When Al yelled, "Get those whores fuckin'" I don't think there was a dry eye in the house.
Old 12-30-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adamblast
You mean 3 c0cksuckers and 2 fucks. In every sentence. That takes skill.

What was it that people didn't like? The only things I've heard are "too much swearing" and a very generalized "didn't like it/hold my interest""... I find it at least as compelling and high-quality as the other HBO shows...

I would have said yes, it's a great blind buy before reading these responses. IMO, this has the best western characters in a decade.
I'd have to say what I didn't like (at least in the few beginning eps I saw) was a lack of cohesion within the story and the fact that I kept thinking, over and over, that this is simply the Sopranos set in the old west.
Old 12-30-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My favorite Al line that I try to use whenever possible, something along the lines of:

"I dont want to see you open your mouth unless its to put my cock in it"

I laughed for 10 mins after I heard that line. Anyway, if you like foul language and dont mind seeing a guys fully exposed, erect cock before seeing a cooch, than get the show blind.

Personally, I loved the show (except for the cock part, as it seemed too out of the ordinary and just stupid). I thought the cussing was way too much at first, but I either got use to it or they toned it down later on. Plus Ive read conflicting articles that cussing in that form was common, where as Ive heard it was, but not with those words, or no cussing at all. Either way, the show had great cinematography and awesome acting. I dont remember the finale too much, but I recall liking all the episodes. Ill be picking this set up ASAP when I see a great price.
Old 12-30-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you have HBO-HD, I'd recommend you watch it on that channel. They're finishing a rebroadcast of the last season of "The Sopranos" this week, then "Carnivale" next week, and I suspect "Deadwood" will be aired again a few times, too.

If "The Sopranos" is any indication, then the HD broadcast will look much better than the DVD. So, if you've got this option, take it!
Old 12-30-04, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
If you have HBO-HD, I'd recommend you watch it on that channel. They're finishing a rebroadcast of the last season of "The Sopranos" this week, then "Carnivale" next week, and I suspect "Deadwood" will be aired again a few times, too.

If "The Sopranos" is any indication, then the HD broadcast will look much better than the DVD. So, if you've got this option, take it!
The Deadwood re-broadcast starts Monday, 1/3.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.