Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Guns of Navarone - Superbit'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-04, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Holly E. Ordway's DVD review of The Guns of Navarone - Superbit at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13184 and...

Holly worries too much about special effects of today in comparison with what was available over 40 years ago. Relax, Holly. That's the biggest problem with today's movies; too much of it. As a result, some movies suffer by it.

To see today's writers include stupid, senseless, humorous lines in the middle of dramas to spice up climax like in The Day After Tomorrow is what brings some people back to old stuff such as Guns of Navarone. Even Cameron's Titanic, Spielberg's Jurassic Park, and Lucas' recent Star Wars were getting dumb.

I mean, come on...
What's a bouncy big-eared bunny "Mesa culled Jar Jar Binks" doing in a serious Sci-Fi adventure? I think he was making up for a boring stiff princess who seemed like she bit her lip with all that makeup!

Getting back to Guns of Navarone, it was meant to be serious as war usually is. Back then, one had the sense of being with the characters at those uncomfortable places, yet we were glad that we were cuddled in our sofa. The experience is still like that when watched today.

Must agree with Holly on the DVD differences. I own Guns on regular and Superbit. No big deal in either sound nor picture improvements in Superbit. Perhaps my equipment needs updating.

We should commend Columbia-Tristar for their effort, though. They've already improved video as seen in the documentary. Guess they felt it was enough. And it is! It's just that major improvements are not evident on their Superbit as expected.

It's a good movie to own. If not, rent it. In either case, watch it. Don't analyze it, enjoy it.

Mike Aspras
Brooklyn, NY
Old 12-19-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I kind of agree. Comparing a movie back then to today's movies is a little naive.

What I would like to see on ALL Superbit reviews, is the actual File size of the Superbit movie and the file size of the non-Superbit version. Personally, I think many Superbit titles are merely a scam.