Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Napoleon Dynamite'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of Napoleon Dynamite at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13488 and...

I just wanted to say that many people, including myself, think that Napoleon Dynamite is one of the funniest films to come out in a long, long time... Yes it will polarize people with it's sense of humor. But for those who really "get" it it's quite hilarious. Unlike the reviewer's qoute that the main character, Napoleon Dynamite, is "unlikable", I think he is COMPLETELY WRONG. He is not only totally likeable, but you'll end up wanting to sport some sweet baby blue Tees with Horses on them and get a nice pair of Moon Boots!!! Also I found no "struggle" at all while watching Napoleon Dynamite. The pacing and humor is relative to the characters and the setting in which the inhabit, which also in turn makes the film so great. Also for being a "Teen" Wes Anderson film, I completely disagree. I saw this in the theater several times with younger people under 18 in the audience. They not only seemed to NOT understand the film, they also didn't appriciate the more subtle humor the film provides.

Do yourself a favor and check this out regardless if you've not seen it. You'll probably absolutely LOVE or think it's just so-so.

"YES I LOVE TECHNOLOGY, BUT NOT AS MUCH AS YOU YOU SEE!"

Last edited by Heliosphann; 12-01-04 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-01-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You are obviously in this film's core audience, and thankfully, you've found a movie that speaks to you. You have to admit though, that Napoleon Dynamite, if placed in a real world setting, would be beaten mercilessly on a near-daily basis. If I knew someone who talked the way he did, I would be made to commit violent acts upon that someone. This guy just didn't sit right with me.

But despite that, I still recommended the film. That is the movie's triumph in my opinion. But, as you admitted, it will polarize people, and those not in ND's camp will likely struggle with the movie.

As far as my calling it a teen Wes Anderson film, I only meant that the people in it are teens, not that it was aimed at them. I'll have to ponder how to better get that point across.

If you want to stump for Hess' vision, go for it. I see nothing wrong with supporting offbeat films. Offbeat characters that rub you like a brillo pad on the other hand...
Old 12-02-04, 01:07 AM

I think that the best part of the movie are the unusual characters.

Spoiler:
The fact that Napoleon stays a loser, even at the end of the film is very refreshing

Too many times are we supposed to root for a character that may be perfect or have a slightly dodgy past, but tries to be good. This is simply a good story with a different type of character.

I guess I just disagree with the review as well.
Old 12-02-04, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't think we actually disagree. I enjoyed the same concepts that you did, but in writing my reviews, I try to take into account a wider spectrum of "enjoyment level" and realize, there's a large percentage out there that will simply not like this movie. It's my job to let them know about why they might not like it, as well as why they might like it.

I'll say it again, I gave this movie a Recommended rating. That says quite a bit, considering the problems I had with the film. This is not the kind of film that defies a label like good or bad.
Old 12-03-04, 11:49 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

You're not the first to say Napolean's an unlikeable character, Francis, but I still can't fathom such an opinion. I guess we crumudgeonly, yet good-hearted geeks gotta stick together.
Old 12-03-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I believe I'll politely disagree, as well. I think Napolean is one of the most likeable characters I met all year at the movies. This DVD is going to end up on my "Most Rewatchable DVDs" list at year's end.
Old 12-03-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That's the bizarrer part, Jason. I watched it five times before writing my review. There's something about the movie that's pretty enjoyable. But in my eyes, it's not Napoleon. Maybe it's because I know people like him, and they are wastes of oxygen, or perhaps it's the way he acts so aggressively towards people while being oblivious to how he makes them feel, but I just don't like him. No sir.
Old 12-03-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Well, okay, if he were an actual human being I might not want to have much to do with him, but as a movie character, he's top notch.
Old 12-03-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thinking about this topic, I can't wait to see what is done when "A Confederacy of Dunces" is released. Ignatius Reilly is a completely unlikable person, but I love that book. Will he remain as disturbing in the movie? I wonder...
Old 12-05-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The movie is flippin sweet! Not only was Napoleon very likable to me, but as far as I'm concerned he'll go down in my mind as one of the most memorable characters ever.

The film is also just slap full of classic lines:

"But my lips hurt REAL bad!"

"I caught you a delicious bass."

"Napoleon, don't be jealous just because I've been chatting online with hot babes all day."
Old 12-05-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll side with Francis. I saw this in a second-run theater on a rather boring weeknight, and came close to walking out on several occasions simply because Napolean struck me as such an unlikable, near-infuriatingly annoying character. Despite this and finding the whole thing to be only slightly amusing, there's something oddly endearing about the film, and I've actually recommended it to several friends. Still, I don't think I'll ever feel compelled to re-watch it.
Old 12-05-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I thought Napoleon was quite likeable, as a movie character not for real life. I knew a guy in high school who was like Napoleon and Pedro combined (ran for president and everything), except worse. I felt sorry for the kid because he was always picked on(yea I'm a bit guilty too), although I became friendly with him, I never liked him much. So it's understandable others wouldn't like Napoleon. I find the film highly rewatchable.

On another note, I did this fun little experiment and was trying to find other songs for Napoleon's dance sequence (although I love the song he dances to). I found that the Elvis Presley song, A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix), works surprisingly well. The perfect point to play it at is right after they show the volume controls getting hiked up and it cuts to Napoleon just standing there on the stage. You have to play it as soon as you see Napoleon, many of his actions go with the music.
Old 12-05-04, 07:49 PM
Banned

This movie is so awesome, saw it the day it came out in the theaters. Cant wait for it to come out on DVD, im buying it!
Old 12-06-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Napolian Dynamite will be known as one of the greatest comedies of all time and will be a large cult film maybe even beyond the Wes Anderson level.
Old 12-06-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I absolutely loved this film and was shocked when I heard others say that it's boring or poorly done. In retrospect, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. It's a movie about a particular time, person, and place. If you don't like or get it then the movie would be boring. For many I know, we knew that kid...or someone just like him...and it's funny! Or we were that kid and can identify. Whatever the reason, this film struck me as very personal for those that can enjoy the Dynamite humor. The rest of the audience is left just scratching their heads. And I'd say that a few are those who were nerds but have since put the memories far in their subconscious. It's a bit too close to the bone for them.
Old 02-08-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
I saw this last weekend, and thought it was absolutely hilarious. And I thought the characters were great--totally likeable, but maybe I just like curmudgeonly geeks.
Old 02-10-06, 03:35 AM

not only is it super funny but it accomplished that without a single bit of profanity in the entire movie.
Old 02-10-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I think Napoleon Dynamite was a great movie and it definitely does not show all its characteristics the first time around. I remember the first time I watched it, sitting there dumbfounded, almost wanting to stop it. Then it got funnier and funnier.

I do think that the movie is overrated and overquoted by a lot of people. It's not the second coming of Woody Allen or anything. My main question is: Will the Hesses be able to move beyond the quirkiness of this film and make movies that are not quirky for quirkyness' sake?
Old 02-10-06, 10:57 AM

As someone who has only seen the movie once after hearing everybody praise it to the heavens I have to say that I was really bored with it. I'm tired of people saying I don't "get it". Well, I do "get it" I just don't care. This film tries much too hard is the problem. It's so concerned with being subversively different, cool, understatedly"off" that it's obnoxious. And on some level I found it highly pretentious because of this. I don't know if anyone here agrees with me, nay, "gets me" but I would like to think so. All us uncool people have to stick together! And I liked tater tots way before this film.
Old 02-10-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I'll side with Francis. I saw this in a second-run theater on a rather boring weeknight, and came close to walking out on several occasions simply because Napolean struck me as such an unlikable, near-infuriatingly annoying character. Despite this and finding the whole thing to be only slightly amusing, there's something oddly endearing about the film, and I've actually recommended it to several friends. Still, I don't think I'll ever feel compelled to re-watch it.
This is almost exactly how I feel about Napoleon Dynamite. I don't know how people can even begin to argue that it works as a movie. The best that can be said is that Napoleon is a funny or memorable character. That much is true, although the comedy comes from the bizarre characters and weird one-liners rather than from the situations or the relationships among characters. It's more Family Guy than The Simpsons, and that's coming from someone who's only ever laughed once while watching Family Guy.
Old 02-12-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I didn't really like this film at all. There were some pretty funny one-liners, but everything else just grated on me. I watched it a couple of times to see if it was my attitude the first time, but it didn't help. This movie is definately not on my top 800 list (if one were to exist), and I've never recommended it to anyone.

Good it found an audience, though. I like odd movies, just not this one.
Old 05-12-06, 06:06 PM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1523739

Think I should go for it? Great film!

But I've spend about $200 on DVDs in the last week.