Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: The Complete Epic Series'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 11:08 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Matthew Millheiser's DVD review of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: The Complete Epic Series at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13368 and...I loved the show as a kid.The show on DVD holds up as it did when it was first broadcast.

I really think Universal dropped the ball on this title though. Giving us the movie instead of the pilot, since the pilot had the footage that was deleted from the film. no deleted scenes, no documentary. They did better with the Battlestar galactica title.
Old 11-30-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I don't mind the lack of the original pilot and having the theatrical movie instead (although some purists may disagree). It's six of one, half-dozen of another, although the extra scenes from the pilot should have been included as an extra.

Still, the complete and utter lack of extras just stinks. There's a sizable BR fandom out there, and Gil Gerard and Erin Gray have made the convention rounds in recent years waxing poetically about their contribution to and love of the show. Heck, IIRC I think Dr. Huer is still pimpin' has role. I suppose Universal didn't want to invest a whole lot in the series, and prefered to just release it "as is".

Still, it's a fun set, and definitely garnered a Recommendation rating on content and comprehensiveness alone (it *is* 37 hourlong episodes, after all.) But it could have been so much more. Like, for instance,
Old 11-30-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
But it could have been so much more. Like, for instance,
Like, for instance...?

I read somewhere that Erin was disappointed that Universal didn't ask them to participate with this release..
Old 12-06-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm wondering how many reviewers are actually watching these shows or are relying on their fond memories of a quarter-century ago because I'm simply aghast at how awful - like "bad bad", not "bad good" - the show was.

I'm beginning to wonder if I repressed some sort of abuse from my childhood as well, cuz I definitely had a better nostalgic recollection of BRit25C.
Old 12-06-04, 11:49 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't believe they had no extra's on this DVD. Regardless, I thought it was a great show and watching it will bring back a lot of memories.
Old 12-07-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by DirkBelig
I'm wondering how many reviewers are actually watching these shows or are relying on their fond memories of a quarter-century ago because I'm simply aghast at how awful - like "bad bad", not "bad good" - the show was.

I'm beginning to wonder if I repressed some sort of abuse from my childhood as well, cuz I definitely had a better nostalgic recollection of BRit25C.
Now now.

I won't pretend -- even for a second -- that nostalgia isn't clouding my feelings about BRit25C. But I will say this: I watched every last moment of all 37 hours of this show. And I came out of it loving the show as much as I did back then. Perhaps for different reasons: in 1980, I just marvelled at the fun of it all. I was a nondiscriminating customer, and the show simply entertained me.

In 2004, I look at BRit25C as just a warm, goofy, silly yet but certainly fun example of the type of Sci-Faux shows that were coming out at the time. Was it important, trendsetting television? Good God, no. Was it worthwhile as a science fiction entity? Not even close. But you won't find a single better example of Roller Boogie Spandex and Spaceships this side of SciFi Night at Club Twist. This was the angle I was pushing in my review, and I hope I did it somewhat successfully.