DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "It's Alive" (1974) or "The Deadly Spawn" (1983)? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/394918-its-alive-1974-deadly-spawn-1983-a.html)

OldBoy 11-08-04 04:42 PM

"It's Alive" (1974) or "The Deadly Spawn" (1983)?

Having read the two DVD Talk reviews (Adam Tyner and G. Noel Gross), most recently "The Deadly Spawn" which Adam Tyner seemed almost giddy over...I want to get at least one right now. I want one of these cheesy 70 & 80's horror behemouths that I have never seen or heard about till recently and rental is not an option as my Blockbuster doesn't have 'em.

I would lean toward TDS simply because of the "hard R" rating and the more gore. I like over the top gore and this seems to have it.

So I want to know from other "viewers like me" who have seen at least TDS to comment on which I should get now.

Adam Tyner 11-08-04 05:00 PM

Having seen both in the past couple of weeks, my personal recommendation would be The Deadly Spawn. I like It's Alive, but...yup, The Deadly Spawn really did make me giddy.

Ian Jane 11-08-04 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
Having seen both in the past couple of weeks, my personal recommendation would be The Deadly Spawn. I like It's Alive, but...yup, The Deadly Spawn really did make me giddy.
Likewise. There's a lot more in the way of extra features on the DS disc as well. Really though, you can't go wrong with either one. They're both great movies.

Zodiac_Speaking 11-08-04 09:34 PM

Its Alive's horror are more subdued and implied, but also being intelligent. There's some creepy moments, but I doubt if you'll be scared. Should defiantely be on your horror shelf, especially if you enjoy Cohen.

Deadly Spawn is serious fun, only if you don't take it seriuosly and have fun with it. Its loaded with extras and is a fine presentation; I heartly agree with Adam Tyner. Acting is spotty, but hey, I like to see someone do better with $20, 000!

You can't go wrong with either one and you should eventually get both, since their $15.99 at BB, I'd go Its Alive though. Remember to just have fun with DS, if you don't then its a waste of your time.

OldBoy 11-09-04 01:28 PM

i guess we need G. Noel to break the tie since he reviewed "It's Alive" and gave it the coveted 'Collector's Series' label. Wonder if he saw DS and can compare...

Zodiac_Speaking 11-09-04 01:56 PM

...I'm sure he would give DS his Collector Series label too (just my hunch, so take it for what's its worth to you) :)

LiquidSky 11-10-04 08:00 AM

Definitely "The Deadly Spawn".

Jason Reynolds 11-11-04 03:33 PM

Both are great B flicks and deserve to be in any horror fans collection, but I give the edge to Deadly Spawn.

-Jason

asianxcore 11-12-04 10:54 PM

I like both movies, but another vote for The Deadly Spawn. it's only 14.99 at borders.

OldBoy 11-13-04 02:22 AM

Yes! DS pulls into a tie!!

G. Noel Gross 11-15-04 08:54 AM

There's more than enough room any good gorehound's collection for BOTH, friends. I naturally favor the It's Alive flicks. Aliens? Feh. MURDEROUS MUTANT BABIES!?! They're just plain wrong. Show it to any woman in your life and they'll never trust your cinematic judgment again -- sorta like after the baby-napping scene in The Hills Have Eyes.