Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Fat Girl'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of Fat Girl at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12628 and...

I thought it a great, well-written and informative review. I'm glad to see he got into the important details of the extras, which really clears them up for me. Although I am still wondering if the only deleted scene is the alternate ending and if there are other scenes.

One section of his review merits some clarification:
In watching the movie, seeing the girls nude bothered me. Though Mesquida, the actress playing Elena, was 18 at the time of shooting, Reboux was just 13. Knowing that now, what I saw was disturbing. This is something to be considered before viewing the film, depending on your own feelings about pre-teen nudity. If you can get past that, this movie has an interesting story to tell.
I read that a body double was used for Reboux's nude scenes, so she does not do the nudity herself.

Last edited by slowcloud; 10-11-04 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the kind words.

There are no other deleted scenes on the DVD. The alternate ending is shown as part of one of the interviews, after Breillat talks about it.

(I edited this next point after doing a bit of research.)

As far as Reboux's nude scenes, a double would have been impossible. Both scenes in which it occurs include her face. But I just did some checking, and Breillat actually had a prosthesis made of Reboux's chest (like Marilyn Manson's breast suit), and used that so as to not show Reboux's body.

Last edited by FrancisRizzo3; 10-11-04 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the clarification. I forgot where I read that about the body double, but I certainly wondered about the nudity in the film, so the factoid stuck out to me.

Again, great review. Keep up the good informative and perceptive work!
Old 10-11-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like some clarification; is the film uncut? "Criterion has released an unrated, and likely uncut Fat Girl" isn't at all conclusive. I search and find nothing but conjecture about runtimes. Can we get a definitive answer?
Old 10-11-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can clarify the cut/runtime issue...

The cut Criterion will release seems to have the correct runtime. Cowboy Booking, who distributed the film in the U.S. theatrically states Fat Girl has an 83 minute run time. I trust Criterion know what they are doing. They pay attention to detail in their obscure films. A lot of other sources do not. I also have faith the company that distributed the film know the runtime of a movie. I know, as I have worked for film festivals and have dealt with Cowboy Booking.

There are sources like IMDB and a Hong Kong version of this film that are both not completely reliable sources as to the runtime of films, in general, least of all an obscure film like this. They are wrong. Criterion is right, so this need not be an issue any longer.
Old 10-11-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

Can we get a definitive answer?
If I could get you one, I would, but I can't find an exact length. I didn't want to deal in definites considering how this has been argued since the film's release. As slowcloud says, Criterion is normally on the ball with these things, and Breillat approved this DVD, so I will assume this is her final cut.
Old 10-12-04, 04:00 AM

Reading the review, i get a feeling that I won't like this film, but i still just have to watch it because it sounds so different.
Old 10-14-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely one I want to rent at least. It does sound a bit disturbing, but I'd like to try it.