Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'SNL: The Best of Will Ferrell Vol 2'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of SNL: The Best of Will Ferrell Vol 2 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12342 and...

You're missing a couple of line breaks before The Quality.

das
Old 09-22-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to see that our reviewers have resorted to basically calling our acting President "a bafoon" in their reviews. Pretty professional.
Old 09-22-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Nice to see that our reviewers have resorted to basically calling our acting President "a bafoon" in their reviews.
...bafoon...?... don't you mean "buffoon"...?... or, possibly, "baboon"...?...

...either is very disrespectful... mumblemumble...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-22-04 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-22-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If only he was the "acting president"....

If you think Bush has done a good job, that's your opinion.

My opinion is not shared with yours. Fortunately, we live in America (or at least, I do), so we can have different opinions, and we can satirize a man who leads the free world but can't master a high school vocabulary.
Old 09-22-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Did you ever hear that Stephen Hawking guy speak? Man, what a retard he must be.
Old 09-22-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

*sigh*

Yes, let's compare a man who was robbed of speech by disease to a man who robbed himself through drugs and alcohol. That seems fair.
Old 09-23-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sigh all you want, but no one cares what you think about Bush when they reading a Will Ferrell DVD review, or what scatter-brained idea you have regarding some perceived speech impediment. There are plenty of other forums available for your left-wing ranting, and if anyone on this thread gave a rip about it they would be there and not here.
Old 09-23-04, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

no one cares what you think about Bush when they reading a Will Ferrell DVD review
Considering a sketch making fun of Bush's "perceived" inability to understand words like sovereignty is the first sketch on that Will Ferrell DVD, talking about him being a boob seems appropriate.
Old 09-23-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, speak your mind all you'd like. To me, taking a cheap shot like that in a DVD review is inappropriate. As someone said, there are plenty of places to voice your opinion on the topic. Chances are, anybody who is reading the review already has the jist of Farrell's impression of Bush. Your editorial isn't necessary.

This is probably not as big a deal as I'm making it. I just thought it was in poor taste.
Old 09-23-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whatever you want to believe, Dan Rather.

OK, that was a cheap shot.
Old 09-23-04, 10:22 AM

Pay no attention to them, Rizzo. It's painfully obvious their complaints stem only from disagreement with your particular viewpoint over the president. For them to couch their protests inside a hysterical obsession for "proper" review protocol is rather cowardly.

And when Needle says "no one cares what you think about Bush," just remember he's already contributed 3 times in a thread devoted just to that.
Old 09-23-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jeeze. It's a review of a comedy show that makes fun of many things including people in the news. Remember President Ford knocking over the Christmas tree? Regan's confusion over "No Sir, Yassir."? Bush Sr.'s "Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent."? The constant McDonalds and womanizing jokes of Clinton? And I can't remember any sketches with Jimmy Carter but it most likely had something to do with peanuts.

Buffoons one and all! (in the context of SNL only, I'm sure...)
Old 09-23-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by John Spartan
Pay no attention to them, Rizzo. It's painfully obvious their complaints stem only from disagreement with your particular viewpoint over the president.
Um, I am currently an undecided voter. I have plenty of complaints about Bush, and I can see the humor in Farrell's impression. However, I wouldn't include my political views in a DVD review. It doesn't seem appropriate.
Old 09-23-04, 11:48 AM

No one should be getting bent out of shape over satire -- are you also angry at Lorne Michaels for choosing to air these sketches?
Old 09-23-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the Bush sketches are hysterical, and I wish they had included more (along with more Harry Carrey).

I also think comments such as:

"Ferrell's excellent imitation of the Buffoon-in-Chief isn't as funny now, as the country struggles under the real thing. You can still appreciate the talent, even if the subject matter is more depressing than funny."

is pure sophistry, and utterly pointless to include in a DVD review. The lefties on the thread continue to completely miss the point, and boo-hoo when asked to keep their political prattle in the appropriate forum. Typical.
Old 09-23-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bill Needle
Did you ever hear that Stephen Hawking guy speak? Man, what a retard he must be.
Boom-shaka-laka-laka-laka-laka-laka-laka...
Boom.
Old 09-25-04, 03:40 AM

Bill,
You clearly have a lot of pent up anger toward liberals...which some people would find rather distasteful.
I suppose Clinton-bashing is OK, right? I doubt, based on your thread, that you've never posted negative comments about Clinton--or other liberals--in the past. Perhaps, Mr. Rizzo was just on to something you won't let yourself comprehend.
It's a free country, in case you've forgotten...and you're entitled to "ignore" comments you don't like, just as you would change the channel when you don't like what's on TV.
Old 09-25-04, 03:50 AM

oh, and BTW... the Stephen Hawking comparison is beyond ridiculous and clearly grasping at straws.

You're comparing someone with a serious medical condition (and an extraordinarily brilliant mind; a fact disputed by none) to someone who didn't have a goal in life until he was in his 40s.

Stephen Hawking earned his genius...Bush has had everything handed to him on a silver platter -- including the presidency.
Old 09-25-04, 03:55 AM

...and you might want to chew on this, from Ferrel himself:
http://whitehousewest.com/
Enjoy!
Old 09-25-04, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
Boom.
family guy is great
Old 09-25-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bronyaur73
oh, and BTW... the Stephen Hawking comparison is beyond ridiculous and clearly grasping at straws.
That was the point.

You clearly have a lot of pent up anger toward liberals...which some people would find rather distasteful.
Not sure how you draw that conclusion from this thread. But then again, I'm not writing a SNL DVD review. Should I save it for there?

I suppose Clinton-bashing is OK, right? I doubt, based on your thread, that you've never posted negative comments about Clinton--or other liberals--in the past.
Of course it is, and I have, as is Bush bashing, and perfectly acceptable in its place. I also don't see any Clinton, Gore, Kerry, or any other Democrat bashing anywhere in this thread or the posted review, so you accusation is utterly without merit or context. You continue to miss the point of the thread. I suggest you re-read it from the beginning, and try not putting words in my posts this time.

It's a free country, in case you've forgotten...and you're entitled to "ignore" comments you don't like, just as you would change the channel when you don't like what's on TV.
Thanks for the civics lecture professor.

Last edited by Bill Needle; 09-25-04 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-25-04, 02:07 PM

Well, that sums it up. It's obvious that reason and logic are completely lost on someone of your character, as i suspected they would be. You've done nothing but attack since your original post. I was foolish to think I could have reasoned with you, when talking to you makes about as much sense as clapping w/one hand. And, go ahead...get the last word...I know you can't help yourself.

"Opinions are like a--holes: Everyone's got one...and they all stink."
Old 09-25-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
And, go ahead...get the last word...I know you can't help yourself.
How about we make the last word be "closed"?
Old 09-26-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Better still, how about we make the last word: "Please use the Report This Post To A Moderator button."

Look, guys - we mods can't be everywhere at once. If something like this happens, please tell us so that we can dump some water on it. Thanks.

- David Stein