Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Hidalgo. Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 02:15 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hidalgo. Any good?

Just wondering how this movie is. The previews look alright, but I don't know anyone that saw it. Is the DVD a good blind buy? or a skipper?
Old 08-03-04, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a little something:

http://wiog.com/misc7890.asp

For what it's worth, I thought it was unappreciated in theaters.
Old 08-03-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The movie is very good. I wish the disc would have had some worthy extras... the DVD is less than worth $15+. I am waiting for it to hit $10 or less. Still a very good movie worth watching.
Old 08-04-04, 09:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked it up and watched it last night. Enjoyable. I'll rewatch it again. If you love horses then this is a definite collector DVD. Otherwise, it's good, but it is a reformulation of other similar stories and movies.
Old 08-04-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
The movie is very good. I wish the disc would have had some worthy extras... the DVD is less than worth $15+. I am waiting for it to hit $10 or less. Still a very good movie worth watching.
it's already at that price. $19.99 + Tax - $10 MIR @ FYE, Coconuts, Strawberries, Warehouse, etc.

See this thread for details.
Old 08-04-04, 10:26 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, i'll add this to my list of stuff to get eventually. Gotta love those FYE rebates though.
Old 08-04-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, didnt even see the rebates on that one...

Too bad there is no wherehouse anymore here and FYE is 50 miles away
Old 08-05-04, 11:12 PM

if you can get it while it's $15 at some stores or wait till it's previewed at BBV. i liked it and bought it at walmart today.
Old 08-08-04, 01:52 AM

I just viewed this disc and, while an enjoyable enough film, I found that I had to manually turn the English subtitles on in order to get a translation for the "non-English" scenes. (There were at least four scenes in the movie that featured Indians and Arabs speaking in their native languages, and I really couldn't tell what was going on until I reversed back and manually enabled the English sub-titles.)

Did anybody else experience this problem? My current player is a relatively new (about 2 months old) Sony DVPNS575P .
Old 08-08-04, 12:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by Joseph B
I just viewed this disc and, while an enjoyable enough film, I found that I had to manually turn the English subtitles on in order to get a translation for the "non-English" scenes. (There were at least four scenes in the movie that featured Indians and Arabs speaking in their native languages, and I really couldn't tell what was going on until I reversed back and manually enabled the English sub-titles.)

Did anybody else experience this problem? My current player is a relatively new (about 2 months old) Sony DVPNS575P .
I didn't have that problem, those subtitles showed up automatically.

I thought the movie was only worth the rental I did.
Old 08-08-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Activate subtitle track 06 and you should be ok.
Old 08-08-04, 08:52 PM

Activate subtitle track 06 and you should be ok.
Thanks for the tip! But since I rented this title and have already returned it, I'll have to wait awhile to try this out! (Since both my wife and I enjoyed the movie, we may purchase it later when it's placed in the "used" bin.)

I have to wonder, though, why the selection of this track wasn't automatic on my player?
Old 08-08-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Thanks for the tip! But since I rented this title and have already returned it, I'll have to wait awhile to try this out! (Since both my wife and I enjoyed the movie, we may purchase it later when it's placed in the "used" bin.)

I have to wonder, though, why the selection of this track wasn't automatic on my player?
Not sure...it was automatic on mine (Philips 727). It kinda took me by surprise, because I was expecting burnt-in subs.

Overall, the film is automatic must-have for any collection.
Old 08-11-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked this movie. The only problem I had with it, was towards the end
Spoiler:
when Viggo puts the gun to Hidalgo's head, meditates for a few minutes and then all of a sudden the horse gets up and they run to win the race.
That part just seemed too forced unlike the rest of the film where things were unraveling pretty naturally unlike that part I mentioned.

The cinematography was a real treat though.
Old 08-11-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one thing I dont like about the DVD is if you want to see the featurette about the horses you need to put it in your computer to watch a MOV file about 20 min long. I hope they do a real SE some day of it. It is a fun movie to watch.