Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Black Hole (1978) should I pick this up??

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.
View Poll Results: get it?
get it
56.25%
avoid it
43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

I forgot thsi was comign out,but I just read DVDfile's review which rated the video a 4 or 5 audio 3 of 5, anyhow is the movie worth picking? I remeber seeing it in the mid 80s but I don't remeber anything about it.
Old 07-29-04, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Seeing as we know nothing about you and your tastes, how are we to decide?
Old 07-29-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I can comment on is my personal tastes. I probably have 1500-2000 DVDs (never really counted). The Anchor Bay DVD is (hands-down) my most watched disc.

The film isn't great, it has plot holes, it has hokey moments. But there's just something about it. I rewatch this more than any other film in my collection.

I can't rationalize it... but I'm definitely upgrading to the new Disney DVD.
Old 07-29-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I think this was one of the first movies I ever saw in a theater. Don't remember much, so if I did not like it as a child, I seriously doubt it could have been good.

Here's a review:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...blackhole.html
Old 07-29-04, 06:31 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you one of those people who watches the stuff you loved as a kid, but haven't seen in 15-20 years, and have all those warm, fuzzy, halcyonic feelings wash back over you like not a day has past since you first saw those films, or are you the type who watches the stuff from your youth and says, "What the hell was I thinking back then?!" If you're the first, as I am much more often than not, pick it up--great stuff, and not nearly as virtuous only as high camp and cheese as today's DVDFile review would make you believe...
Old 07-30-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was 32 when I saw it in its theatrical release. I thought it was terrible.

Last edited by movielib; 07-30-04 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-30-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The real question is...Is it worth upgrading to? I loved the film and I think it's still a unique family film. Very spooky...especially for kids. And we loved the robots as kids. B.O.B. was great.
Old 07-30-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
First movie I ever saw in a theater. Might purchase it for nostalgia value only. Can't imagine actually watching it.
Old 07-31-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
First movie I ever saw in a theater. Might purchase it for nostalgia value only. Can't imagine actually watching it.
do you have many dvds you dont intend to ever watch ?

I may pick this up too since I had fond memories of it. Im sure it wont live up to them but it should still be fun
Old 07-31-04, 07:48 PM

Watched the Disney reissue today. The movie...it'd been about 21 years since my last viewing. I didn't like it back then (I was that rare kid with high standards--probably higher than they are now) and I still don't.

By the same token, it's pleasantly violent for a Disney flick (if bloodless), and there are subtextual bits of business that continue to give me the willies, e.g. an embedded DELIVERANCE reference involving an R2-D2 copyright infringement with a hillbilly accent and a Darth Vader copyright infringement. The middle-section, which promises all sorts of cool stuff that never comes to fruition (at least, not in a way that lives up to your imagination--this is one of those movies like STAR TREK V that bites off more than it can possibly chew), is actually quite involving.

The DVD's anamorphic transfer and DD 5.1 sound are first-rate. (Shocked by how deep and how often the subwoofer rumbled.) The print looks like garbage whenever there's an optical effect, though, which is frequently, since entire sequences are performed in front of a bluescreen. I haven't watched any of the extras yet, but it's hard to get excited about them. A forced trailer for Disney family fare on DVD opens the disc.

To buy or not to buy? Ultimately, I'd pass. That's money that could go towards the Martin Scorsese Collection, or Blue Underground's Alan Clarke Collection. Or, if sci-fi's your poison, September's release of THX-1138.

Bill C
filmfreakcentral.net

Last edited by flmfreakcentral; 07-31-04 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-01-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,391 Likes on 1,021 Posts
The important question, is the overture there?

tks
Old 08-01-04, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom
The important question, is the overture there?

tks
Yep, in its entirety.

Bill C
filmfreakcentral.net
Old 08-01-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,391 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Thanks I was a big fan of this in my youth, though not as much as SW. I picked up the AB disc a few years back and was still moderately entertained. Since I got a WS set, 16x9 is a must now.

cheers
Old 08-02-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by Dazed
do you have many dvds you dont intend to ever watch ?
Yes, actually.

There are certain movies and TV shows that I like to have around even if I can't forsee a specific time when I'll actually watch them.
Old 08-02-04, 02:53 PM

Black Hole is a major guilty pleasure flick for me. This new, anamorphic transfer is a definite purchase.
Old 08-09-04, 02:25 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't seen the movies in years, really loved it when I was a little kid. Picked it up last week. Knowing what I know now, if I wouldn't of picked it up, I wouldn't of been too bothered. I probably watch it once of year.
Old 08-09-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination, but a visually dazzling one. Paper-thin characterizations. Weak plot that promises the moon but delivers a poop-filled croissant. Cheezy beyond words.

I loved it. It wasn't a good movie, it didn't make a whole lot of sense, and the ending... HUH?!?!?!... but it was fun to watch. Call me crazy, but I have never