Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Millennium: Season 1'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Millennium: Season 1 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11615 and...

I agree completely with most of his assessments. I see much of the power of the show as residing in the part that some seem to shy away from: The Religous/Sacred overtones.

While some could say that a "conspiracy/paranormal mythology" was an easy ripoff of the X-files and it's true that there was some "genetic drift" from one series to the other (A pack of Morley cigarettes showed up on the floor in one episode: hmmmmmmmmmmm....If The X-Files "Cigarette Smoking Man" REALLY WAS Satan, that would go a long way toward explaining how he could be nearly killed so many times and live......)

I believe that the folks who cooked up those "LEFT BEHIND" books owe a debt of gratitude to Chris Carter (and more to the point Morgan,Wong & Co.)for showing the way toward "Revalations: The miniseries".

The only sad thing about that is that from what I've read of those, the Millenium folks have more intellectual "raise the hair on the back of your neck" chops than the LB folks ever dreamed of. In any event, While Millenium's family tree includes "Seven" and "Silence of the Lambs" and so therefore is somewhat derivitive in the "hybrid vigor" sense of the word, a lift of the lid, by someone, doesn't seem entirely out of place by someone.

I don't mourn the passing of much TV. But this show was WAY TOO GOOD for it's medium.
Old 07-31-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have not seen this series, is it a good blind buy?
Old 08-01-04, 01:20 PM

As he said, if you like "S7ven" and "Silence of the Lambs" with a supernatural twist, you'll love it. It's VERY dark. Probably the darkest show that's ever been on TV.

Seasons 1 and 2 are amazing, Season 3 is a write-off (they tried to lighten things up to draw more viewers, and in doing so destroyed the show).
Old 08-01-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I don't know that Millennium was any "darker" than Profiler...or Twin Peaks...or even X-Files. But it was a very good show. Season Two remains my favorite - has one of the best season-ending cliffhangers ever.

I love the scene in the pilot when Frank is talking to the local cops about a serial killer:

Frank: He doesn't see things the way we do.

Cop: How does he see them?

Frank: Differently.

The cool thing about Frank Black was that he was always so low-key. Not exactly the kind of thing you'd expect from the lead of a TV series - which may explain why it remains a cult show and never had mainstream appeal the way X-Files did.
Old 08-02-04, 08:14 AM

I agree, Frank's low-key style probably didn't help the show gain mass appeal, but I liked it ; )

I felt that Millennium was darker than Twin Peaks and X-Files (I did consider them) because it didn't have the absurd humor to lighten it up... except for a few rare occasions ("The Curse of Frank Black", etc.)

I've never seen Profiler.