Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any "V: The Complete Series" Reviews as of yet?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 07:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I know this is in one of the DVD Talk reviewer's que's...I am just so eager to get first details I hope this goes out sooner than later. I love everything "V"!
Lizard
Old 07-15-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Received my copy yesterday. Plan to do a marathon viewing this weekend and should have a review sometime next week.
Old 07-15-04, 12:55 PM

cool..i hope you love it!!

good times...good times!
Old 07-28-04, 02:02 AM

"Viewers like me"...worth the buy for a fan?

Any "viewers like me" have this set and have started watching? Can you tell me how it is and if worth a buy? I love, love, love and really love "V: The Miniseries" and "V: The Final Battle", two of my most beloved movies.
I remember watching a little of the series, but I think just missed most of the eps when they were on for one reason or another...perhaps lack of interest, but I hope not.
So just wondering if for a fan, but one who doesn't have the $ to spend if this is worth the purchase. Thanks.
Old 07-28-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone (including people who love, love, love and really love the first 2 minis ) should probably rent this before buying, if you don't remember it.

The TV series is bad. There are a few bright moments, but overall it is trash. NBC rushed this into production, and it was made by people who had no idea what made the original work. It was cheapie, quickie sci-fi TV at its worst. Even fans of the show mostly agree about this.

It's cheap enough, so I'll be picking it up... I'll give them a spin every few years and that'll be worth the $25 or so I'll be spending. But if you don't have the money to spend, I wouldn't grab this... you'll hate yourself afterward. Rent it, or wait until you actually have the funds. You aren't missing much.
Old 07-28-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Got mine on Monday and have watched 4 or 5 of the episodes. The early episodes are definitely better than the latter ones. What is so funny about this show is how obvious they were in going after the Dukes of Hazzard audience. I think there are more car and motorcycle chases in this show than on the Dukes of Hazzard.
Old 07-28-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My review is taking a lot longer than expected because the episodes are just so damn dull that I can't sit through more than a couple of them at a time without needing a very long break. I'm still plugging away at it, though.

Originally posted by Red Dog
What is so funny about this show is how obvious they were in going after the Dukes of Hazzard audience. I think there are more car and motorcycle chases in this show than on the Dukes of Hazzard.
I'd say that was just as much a budgetary problem. They couldn't afford to do any new spaceship effects (what does appear in the series is entirely recycled from the two miniseries). Apparently, whenever they needed an exciting chase scene, the only thing they could afford were a couple of dirt bikes. And so we get a lot of dirt bike chases, in almost every episode.

What I find most funny is that they stopped adding the modulation effect to the alien voices. Why, I don't know. Did that really cost anything?
Old 07-28-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Z
My review is taking a lot longer than expected because the episodes are just so damn dull that I can't sit through more than a couple of them at a time without needing a very long break. I'm still plugging away at it, though.

I'd say that was just as much a budgetary problem. They couldn't afford to do any new spaceship effects (what does appear in the series is entirely recycled from the two miniseries). Apparently, whenever they needed an exciting chase scene, the only thing they could afford were a couple of dirt bikes. And so we get a lot of dirt bike chases, in almost every episode.

What I find most funny is that they stopped adding the modulation effect to the alien voices. Why, I don't know. Did that really cost anything?

Of course. The funny thing is that, at the time, it was the most costly show on television to produce at $1M/episode. I couldn't fathom why given all the stock footage they used.

There is actually a fanboy explanation for the lack of voice modulation - the voice modulation comes from the pollution/devastation on their homeworld. After a certain period of time away from the homeworld, a Visitor's modulating voice goes away naturally.
Old 07-28-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The funny thing is that, at the time, it was the most costly show on television to produce at $1M/episode. I couldn't fathom why given all the stock footage they used.
Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere... you gotta figure that most of that went up some exec's nose or something. It certainly didn't make it onto the screen.
Old 07-28-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

It was also funny seeing Nick Katt (who played Harry Senate in Boston Public) play Donovan's teenage son in the series. Note that he did not play his son in either of the miniseries.
Old 07-28-04, 02:09 PM

Wow! too bad on the bad feedback. I will def. not purchase now, even though I am a big fan. I hope Blockbuster gets them for rental, but mine isn't too keen on the obscure titles.
Old 07-28-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by scott1598
Wow! too bad on the bad feedback. I will def. not purchase now, even though I am a big fan. I hope Blockbuster gets them for rental, but mine isn't too keen on the obscure titles.

They're bad, but I have mine more for the cheeseball/comedic value of it - kind of the like the 3rd season of Trek TOS. They should have the MST3000 guys watch these episodes and do a commentary.

It's a cheap box set anyhow.

Last edited by Red Dog; 07-28-04 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They're bad, but I have mine more for the cheeseball/comedic value of it - kind of the like the 3rd season of Trek TOS.
Agreed. The show has tons of flaws, but it's still entertaining. Just not for the reasons originally intended.

My current favorite thing to look out for: Every time someone in the series is punched or hit in any way, they immediately fall to the ground unconscious. It's hilarious. You can make a drinking game out of it!
Old 07-29-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Z
Agreed. The show has tons of flaws, but it's still entertaining. Just not for the reasons originally intended.

My current favorite thing to look out for: Every time someone in the series is punched or hit in any way, they immediately fall to the ground unconscious. It's hilarious. You can make a drinking game out of it!

The best is Donovan's grab 2 Visitors by the head and smash them together. The most effective move since the Vulcan neck pinch.
Old 08-03-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally finished all the episodes. Review posted today:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...eo_9/v_cs.html

Diana's wedding dress... whoo boy! That episode, and the mortal combat match in the following episode, are reason enough to buy the box set. Haven't had that good a laugh in a long time.
Old 08-04-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Good review. I really don't think I have seen a television series or movie, for that matter, with as many plot holes, contradictions, and at V: The Series.
Old 08-04-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The show had some very low production values but is fun.

I also like looking in the reflections of cars and seeing the crew standing around

Donovan is great, the way he holds a gun in one hand and looks like he is gonna give you a karate chop with his other hand is Hilarious.
Old 08-04-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Dazed

Donovan is great, the way he holds a gun in one hand and looks like he is gonna give you a karate chop with his other hand is Hilarious.

Not to mention his Homer Simpson-esque attire - same outfit every episode. Tan jacket, tight jeans and tan gloves. I mean, I know times were tough, but there had to be a Gap or something still open.