Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Last House on the Left

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-04, 01:38 AM
Alk
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After being very interested in this film I finally took a risk of buying it..I wanted to rent it first but I couldnt find it anywere..I really liked the movie and I think it was worth the money..Definently not a movie to take seriously.
I found it very entertaining..the hour and 20 minutes felt like it was not even half an hour..call me a sick person but belive it or not I really enjoyed this movie.
Is there any movies out there like this or related let me know im interested?

I wanted to see the hills have eyes but after reading a review I know everything that happens..do you think its still worth buying..again I cant find this to rent..im still looking around though.
Old 07-13-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might want to try I Spit On Your Grave-Millennium Edition. Elite has given a great treatment to this release, including a fantastic commentary by Joe Bob Briggs. Plus, this is the movie that Roger Ebert called the worst movie ever and he even tried to get local Chicago theaters to stop screening it.
Old 07-13-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But remember I Spit on Your Grave is not a 'fun' film like Last House is. It is more serious,slow and graphic...but still a good shocking film in my opinion.

..and before some people are shocked that I think Last House is a 'fun' film. It is,pretty hard to take seriouslly. The pace is fast,the rough amature camera work and editing,the upbeat music all add a nice quirky charm to the film that makes it less disturbing in my opinion and more 'enjoyable' so to speak.

Sure it has some shocking and disturbing moments(the capture,rape & murder is the only truely serious portion of the film),which are highly effective in my opinion. Yet the film does entertain as fun grindhouse shlock that has a wickedly dark sense of humor to it all as the tone changes from grim to darkly humorous at any given moment.

It may have been shocking,highly disturbing and very offensive when it was first released. Yet I hardly felt the film was 'that' intense. It was extremely startling when I saw it for the first time when I was 11. But revisting the film years later and thinking it would be just as shocking. I was proven wrong,but think the film is alot of fun.

The rough around the edges,learning as they go filmmaking style makes it more appealing in my opinion,than had it been the polished and extremely dark grueling film Craven originally envisioned it as.

I rate Last House **** and hell I even like the two cops in the film

Last edited by Julie Walker; 07-13-04 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-14-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd pick up Hills Have eyes in a heartbeat. Similar to Last House, but a better overall film from Craven.
Old 07-14-04, 11:05 PM

You should really check out "House on the Edge of the Park" for more David Hess fun. Atomspheric movie in spite of (or because of) its cheapness. There's a certain odd and surreal quality to cramped artificial stagebound sets.

And the road leads to nowhere . . .
Old 07-15-04, 12:36 PM

there are so many films vaguely similar or related to "last house" - perhaps some italian giallo movies, lucio fulci stuff (the beyond ... etc), mostly european horror that mixes dark with light / surreal / sexy. theres too many to mention i think... what about "cannibal holocaust" and other italian films with english / american actors?...