Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How is the '5 Film Noir Killer Classics' set, especially the transfer?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-05-04, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The set is '5 Film Noir Killer Classics (D.O.A./Detour/The Stranger/Scarlet Street/Killer Bait)' from Questar. I've been wanting a copy of the first three films for a while, and with the 6th disc that's included this looks like a pretty nice set. But I can't seem to find any reference to the quality that seems trustworthy. Some say it's good, some say it's as good as you can find at the moment (which doesn't tell me much since these are public domain transfers) and some say it's ok. Does anyone actually have this and if so can you comment on the transfers? I'm just hesitant to buy it without hearing because the last time I did this for PD films that were "not bad" I ended up getting burned with unwatchable crap. Thanks a lot.

This is the Amazon picture of the set:

Old 07-05-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered a copy with the DDD 20% coupon. It should be in this week, but I won't be able to watch for a few weeks. I will let you know once I watch one.
Old 07-05-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be diggin' into this set tomorrow night at some point. cant wait!!
Old 07-06-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I already have all of these films, except "Killer Bait". Can anyone comment on the extras on this set?
Old 07-06-04, 11:03 AM

When either of you who had this gets a chance to watch a few of them please, please report back and let us know! I've wanted copies of D.O.A., Detour, and the Stranger for a long time, so if this is a pretty good set, it's a great deal.
Old 07-06-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool set. Scarlet Street is fantastic. And Detour is insane. Curious about the quality myself.
Old 07-06-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gamblor187
I already have all of these films, except "Killer Bait". Can anyone comment on the extras on this set?
FYI: Killer Bait also goes by the title Too Late For Tears which has already been released by Alpha, Diamond and Image. The transfer on all three releases has been uniformly bad.
Old 07-06-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just quickly skimmed through Killer Bait and Scarlet Street. Disclaimer: I have not seen the other versions, but I would be willing to assume that these are the same public domain versions released previously, based on the video quality I saw. That being said, the extras are pretty cool and at $13 (with DDD coupon), I would say it was money well spent.

Extras include a few featurettes, but the coolest one is the 38 trailers that are included (50-60 minutes worth) and a 4 minute sequence of film noir movie posters. Great if you are new to film noir to see what's out there.

Last edited by indycohiba; 07-06-04 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-08-04, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I'll be diggin' into this set tomorrow night at some point. cant wait!!
Did you have a chance to watch any of the films yet, gutwrencher?
Old 07-08-04, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by kingtopher
Did you have a chance to watch any of the films yet, gutwrencher?
....no. I got caught up in the Universal titles just released and will be watching Black Angel tonight. I wont be starting the killer box until tomorrow.
Old 07-08-04, 11:33 PM

....no. I got caught up in the Universal titles just released and will be watching Black Angel tonight. I wont be starting the killer box until tomorrow.
I haven't bought those Universal ones yet, but I did just get the WB box so that's what'll take up my next week or so. The Universal ones should be on the way soon, though. Please do check back once you watch this set though. I'm really curious!
Old 07-09-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Gamblor187
Can anyone comment on the extras on this set?
I'd also like an answer to this one... what goodies do you get?
Old 07-09-04, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
I'd also like an answer to this one... what goodies do you get?
disc 6 is all extras. I have not watched any yet...but here is whats featured:

1. What Is Film Noir?

2. Femme Fatale-The Noir Dame

3. Film Noir Trailers(total of 38)

4. The Posters Of Film Noir

dont know the quality or length at this time. BTW...I watched a little of Detour last night, and although I did not compare to my Image disc....it seems to be the same if not worse in some sections. I noticed that the picture gets very bright in a few scenes and dont remember it from the other disc. I was hoping that maybe they got ahold of a better print, since the Image one features ugly audio drops with missing words.
Old 07-09-04, 11:06 PM

BTW...I watched a little of Detour last night, and although I did not compare to my Image disc....it seems to be the same if not worse in some sections. I noticed that the picture gets very bright in a few scenes and dont remember it from the other disc. I was hoping that maybe they got ahold of a better print, since the Image one features ugly audio drops with missing words.
I'm basically just hoping that the quality is about the same as that of the other existing discs, like the Image ones. I've always just been a bit hesitant to pay $20 for an average quality disc like those, so this set, if the quality is comparable, might be a decent deal. Was Detour at least pretty watchable and similar to the Image one then?
Old 07-15-04, 12:02 AM

So, gutwrencher, any reports for us?
Old 07-31-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bumping in hopes of more feedback on the transfers (especially in comparision to the Image & Alpha DVDs.)
Old 07-31-04, 06:29 PM

I still suggest it as a great "crash course" for anyone just getting into Noir. I'll add that Scarlet Street again...does not look very good. but is there even any dvd out there with a better transfer of this great film? I dont think so..so this will do for now. although I dont own the Image release of D.O.A., I hear it's a sharper image than on this set. maybe someone else can confirm. The Stranger has some audio issues, but I cant say it's any better on another release. I still want to actually compare my 2 Detour discs, since a few people have mentioned via other forums that they think the version in the collection is the most complete version they have seen. most of my dvds are sealed up in boxes as my move is finally happening!! as I said earlier though, it just didnt seem any better at all. I may change my mind once I get un-packed and moved-in.
Old 08-02-04, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, gutwrencher, for the update/clarifications....and good luck with your move.
Old 08-04-04, 10:38 PM

Now if only my copy would come. I ordered it from DDD on 7/18 and they listed it as backordered and shipping on 7/28 but it still says that. Do they not update shipping dates for backorders ever? I'd really like knowing when this is going to come.