DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Operation Scorpio'

Old 07-04-04, 06:29 AM

DVD Talk review of 'Operation Scorpio'

I read John Wallis's DVD review of Operation Scorpio at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11333 and...

Good review, and it is right on the money. Definitely worth at least renting to check out the action scenes of Kim Won-jun.
Way back when I first watched this movie on video tape, it instantly became one of my favorite kung-fu movie. Never did I knew the kick-ass villain was done by Korean actor and I would never have dreamed that the movie would be released on dvd.
UK PAL dvd release was indeed very soft and rather dark but it had choke full of extras such as Kim Won-jun's cool demo reel and his very interesting lengthy interview. Fox NTSC release is lot better in picture wise compared to UK release as pointed out in the review. Brightness and contrast were properly done and it was lot sharper.
However I was very disappointed about the language choice of both releases of the film. I was scratching my head because I swear that the true original audio is in Mandarine and not Cantonese.
You can tell the Cantonese is sort of dubbed since the voice doesn't quite match the mouth movement.
And it is a real let down, since Cantonese audio miss out on some part and it doesn't sound not even half as good as the Mandarine audio.
I guess I will just have to keep all three version(video tape, UK and USA version) to keep me happy.

If you are into HK action movies, please do check it out.

Last edited by 1Randyc; 07-04-04 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-04-04, 07:20 PM

truly excellent kicking from the korean "scorping king"...