DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Cold Mountain (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/372358-cold-mountain.html)

phephron 06-29-04 07:52 PM

Cold Mountain Theatrical vs. DVD

So Meagan gives the theatrical version a "Skip It" recommendation, and Holly gives the DVD a "Collectors" rating. You can't have too much more disparity than that. Is this one of those "love it or hate it" movies? Other reviews that I have read have all been pretty lukewarm, with praises for the realism, cinematography and Rene Zellweiger's (sp) acting ability.
This week with the promo offers, it is kind of hard to consider renting it for a couple of dollars, considering it is only a few more dollars just to buy it. What do people think? Buy it, or skip it?
Paul

Shannon Nutt 06-29-04 07:55 PM

It may be not the best way to determine - but look at the two reviewers' other reviews. Which one of them tends to enjoy movies that YOU enjoy and which one of them dislikes films that YOU like? That's a good starting point before making a blind buy.

dcprules 06-30-04 08:42 PM

I'd say buy it. I enjoyed it, even though it's long and does kind of meander here and there. Overall, it's a pretty solid film with some amazing visuals (and some great acting from the big supporting cast). If you're really into critical reviews to decide buying decisions, it got a 71 on the tomatometer. I'd probably give it a B.

QuikSilver 06-30-04 10:27 PM

I'm not sure if I want to buy this dvd based on the reviews that the picture quality is horrible. And how is the rewatchability? I have yet to see the film. Thanks.

MrVette99 07-01-04 10:42 AM

Check out rottentomatoes.com

A wider set of reviewers. Cold Mountain is thumbs up. I hope to watch it tonight.

Daytripper 07-01-04 08:18 PM

Originally posted by QuikSilver
I'm not sure if I want to buy this dvd based on the reviews that the picture quality is horrible. And how is the rewatchability? I have yet to see the film. Thanks.
Well first, personally I think the replay value for this film is high. Also, where did you hear that the picture quality is horrible? Both DVDTalk and DVDTown rated the transfer high.

DVDTalk : Video ****1/2 out of *****

Visually, Cold Mountain is stunning on DVD, with one of the nicest transfers I've had the pleasure to see in quite a while. The film is presented in its original 2.35:1 widescreen aspect ratio, and is anamorphically enhanced. The level of detail is impressive, and overall the image looks sharp and finely textured, with edge enhancement invisible to all but the most searching eye. Colors are presented very well, with a level of subtlety that allows for slight shifts in tone to capture the mood of particular scenes, from the golden, sunshine-filled flashback scenes on Cold Mountain to the bleak grays and blues of winter in the mountains. The print is in pristine condition, with no flaws or noise appearing anywhere in the image.

DVDTown : Video 8/10

The picture quality is very good but not exactly ideal. The anamorphic screen size admirably mirrors its 2.35:1 theatrical exhibition ratio, rendered here as approximately 2.11:1 across a standard television. There is a slight grain noticeable, especially in nighttime scenes, but this is not unusual to the best film stock. Overall, the image is fairly smooth despite the small degree of grain. Daylight shots are bright and well delineated; colors are natural, if a tad dark; and haloes and moiré effects are at a bare minimum.

phephron 07-02-04 03:26 PM

Given that I can get it at Best Buy with the Others for only $5 more, and that is supposed to be a pretty good movie as well, I will probably go for it. Thanks for the help.

milo bloom 07-03-04 11:56 AM

I was at a video store and they had this playing on a decent sized screen and it looked pretty decent to me. Any other opinions on the image quality?

tks

OldBoy 07-04-04 10:32 AM

I thought it was a pretty movie. The aspect ratio actually bothered me like no other movie before. I didn't like it at all. I don't know what it was, but I was bothered by it for the first time in watching any DVD. The picture quality was def great. No noticeable specs. I remember yellows in the cabin scene. Nice terrain scenes. The war shots were good. Don't think I had any complaints with pic. The sound I thought could be better. I had DTS going and it didn't have any bass to speak of which I thought was odd especially in the explosion and gun shot scenes. I don't think it was loud as most DTS soundtracks go. Of course it is mostly center speaker as very talkie, but I thought it was one of the weakest DTS I've heard in quite some time.

Just my .02

milo bloom 07-05-04 12:35 AM

What do you mean by the aspect ratio? What AR was it?