Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The English Patient: Miramax Collector's Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Holly E. Ordway's DVD review of The English Patient: Miramax Collector's Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11350 and as to her question about why this movie won nine Academy Awards, I think the answer is obvious. The Oscars that year promoted the nominations as "The Year of Independent Film", with prominent nominations to films such as Secrets & Lies, Fargo, Shine, and Breaking the Waves. In the end, the Oscars love an Epic, and in the middle of a field of much smaller films, The English Patient looked and felt like an Epic.
Old 06-29-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The English Patient is a spectacular film that boasts a superb cast- Juliette Binoche, Kristin Scott Thomas, R. Fiennes, and whether you agree with the pick the Academy made that year or not this is a beautiful story told in an extraordinary way. In my view Minghella's camera was simply superb.

Interestingly enough I have seen a number of discussions on this forum especially back in the days- 1999/2000...and I have to say that the film has a much bigger audience in Europe than in the States. This is one of the better choices that the Academy made in the past....unlike Forrest Gump for example.....

Pro-B
Old 06-30-04, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Actually, I think Holly was too kind in her review. I still think the movie is an incredible bore in desperate need of some editing. I appricate the cinematography and "look" of the picture, but fault it for its snooze-inducing storyline.

As for Forrest Gump, I think it was one of the best 10 films I've ever seen...
Old 06-30-04, 03:03 PM
Defunct Account

Well, it just goes to show that reviewers can never agree. I really like the movie and think that Holly erred in saying that the movie was character driven, in my mind it clearly wasn't. If you look at it as being event driven, the problems she had with characterization were not as great.

Then again part of the reason I liked this film is because it was slow paced, something that Holly didn't care for. Give me a slow movie any day. I think Tarkovsky's 15 minute car ride in Solaris is brilliant, but a lot of people can't stand it. I'm glad when a film, like EP, gives me the time to enjoy some of the scenery.

I did like Holly's review though. She clearly stated why she didn't like the film and supported her arguments, which is what I like to see when reading a review.
Old 06-30-04, 03:47 PM

Elaine likes this movie more than me. It's beautiful but empty. No sympathetic characters. I still laugh remembering the Juliette Binoche/Indian bomb squad guys thing. Especially when he lets his sexy hair down. And its sooooooooooooooo looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.
Old 06-30-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by videophile
Well, it just goes to show that reviewers can never agree. I really like the movie and think that Holly erred in saying that the movie was character driven, in my mind it clearly wasn't. If you look at it as being event driven, the problems she had with characterization were not as great.

Then again part of the reason I liked this film is because it was slow paced, something that Holly didn't care for. Give me a slow movie any day. I think Tarkovsky's 15 minute car ride in Solaris is brilliant, but a lot of people can't stand it. I'm glad when a film, like EP, gives me the time to enjoy some of the scenery.

I did like Holly's review though. She clearly stated why she didn't like the film and supported her arguments, which is what I like to see when reading a review.

Very well said and I feel exactly the same as you do (great Tarkovsky analogy). With this said I have no problem with the reivew I simply disagree with the assessment Mrs.Ordway has placed on the film.

Pro-B
Old 07-01-04, 10:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I didn't realize that Miramax Home Video threw on a DTS soundtrack on the new DVD - hmm me thinks I can finally sell my DTS laserdisc copy of the film.
Old 07-10-04, 09:26 AM

Hey does anyone else have a problem with PQ & framing of the new CE? Major EE & an open matted anamorphic transfer that seriously crops the top & bottom of the picture. (PQ aside, at least the initial widescreen release was framed properly). Gadzooks, I thought I was watching a pan & scan version.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by bigE; 07-11-04 at 10:23 AM.