Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The New Adventures of Spider-Man - Season 1'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-17-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of The New Adventures of Spider-Man - Season 1 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9212 and...

The there seems to be two release of this series - the entire season one on two discs and (so far) three individual discs of three episodes at a time. The review for the 2 disc set said the video sucked, the review for at least one of the 3-episode discs says the video is "looks great." Are the individual discs a remaster/new-transfer or is it just one reviewer being pickier than the other?
Old 06-18-04, 12:56 AM
Cool New Member

"Practically perfect. The colors are super-vibrant, and outlines are sharp without any halo effects. My only complaint would be the aliasing type of effect seen as the virtual camera pans diagonally across backgrounds… and this isn’t even likely the fault of the transfer, but an effect of the scene rendering. Still, it’s not perfect, regardless of the source of the problem. But, darn it does look nice overall!

The image is 16:9 anamorphic. This aspect ratio was how the series was produced, which can be easily seen while watching the supplemental materials."

http://www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/263

i have this and watch it on my sony 57" hdtv. it looks great. like the reviewer said, probably not a problem with the transfer, just the source. it reminds me of the jet set radio series on dreamcast and xbox since both are similar in styles. and both have the jagged edge problems.
Old 06-19-04, 11:33 AM
Defunct Account

I reviewed the season set, and one of the individual discs. Just went back and compared the two, and it looks like the transfers are exactly the same. There is the same blocking in and early scene in "The Party," and the images look similar.

As for the differance in the video reviews, I think I was more distracted by the digital defects than Matthew Millheiser was in his review. He noted the digital defects, but they didn't seem to distract from his enjoyment as much as it did for me. When background details flicker and disappear that really bothers me.

I don't think that the image quality is so bad that you shouldn't pick up the set. I rated it at 2 stars, with 2 1/2 being average. The colors are bright and eye popping, but the digital defects, though relatively minor, were pervasive.

I have to admit that my jaw dropped to the floor when I read the "practically perfect" above. I think this video is far from prefect, but that's just me.

I'd recommend the season set. Cheap price and killer extras.

Hope this helps!