DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   No A-Team review? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/368760-no-team-review.html)

Altimus Prime 06-09-04 09:38 AM

No A-Team review?

I saw the A-Team first season when I went to pick up Quantum Leap. It was priced the same, $34.99. Seems like that is a good price. It's only until Saturday at CC.

I decided not to buy it and check out a review first. But there doesn't seem to be one.

Anyone know of any reviews I can check out?

Adam Tyner 06-09-04 09:52 AM

Jeffrey Robinson is reviewing it for DVD Talk. The only review up now, as far as I can tell from a quick glance, is <a href="http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/sitereviews.cfm?ReleaseID=3530">TV Shows on DVD</a>'s.

Altimus Prime 06-09-04 12:59 PM

Thanks.

A side question I'd appreciate having answered if anyone knows - how many seasons were there of the A-Team? Of Quantum Leap?

das Monkey 06-09-04 01:33 PM

There were 4 full seasons of <i>The A-Team</i> and a 5th fake half-season where everything was retooled and lame, including Frankie 'Dishpan' Santana and <s>Napoleon Solo</s> General Stockwell. There were 5 seasons of <i>Quantum Leap</i>, but as it was a mid-season replacement in 1989, the first season only has 8 episodes (the first of which is a two-hour pilot telefilm). Some information on those episodes can be found in Don Houston's Review.

das

P.S. If you don't buy <i>The A-Team</i> on DVD, I'm not saying I'll hunt you down like a dog, but I'm not saying I won't either. :p

"I love it when a plan comes together."

Josh Z 06-09-04 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Altimus Prime
A side question I'd appreciate having answered if anyone knows - how many seasons were there of the A-Team? Of Quantum Leap?
www.epguides.com is a good resource for this type of question.

bboisvert 06-09-04 03:13 PM

I'm going through the A-Team set right now... and the episodes actually hold up a lot better than I thought they would. I was expecting some good, cheesy fun and a trip down memory lane. But these are actually damn good shows.

Bring on Season 2! :thumbsup:

das Monkey 06-09-04 03:16 PM

I'm looking forward to finally dumping the VHS collection I have from this series. It's been great to have over the years, but it consumes a bit too much space.

I agree that the episodes do hold up, though. I'm always telling people who grew up in the 80s to avoid <i>MacGuyver</i> reruns at all costs because it will destroy the memory of the show when they find out how terrible it really was. <i>The A-Team</i>, however, never gets stale.

das

"I'm not gettin' on that plane, fool!"

flixtime 06-09-04 03:44 PM

Home Theater Forum has posted their review of the set:

A-Team review at HTF

das Monkey 06-09-04 03:49 PM

2.5 stars?!? HTF is dead to me ... <i>dead</i>!

das

"I'm alergic to microwaves ... they release space-hamsters into my bloodstream."

jrobinson 06-09-04 05:00 PM

Well, for the curious. I still haven't received it... I was hoping it was going to arrive today, but it didn't. The review will most likely be up a week after I receive it...

Altimus Prime, if you'd like. Feel free to email me and I can share some initial impressions... of course, you could always buy it at the 34.99 price... keep it sealed and return it later if you change your mind.

DEC29111 06-17-04 04:42 PM

Columbia House Editions?

I have had the two epsiod editions of the Columbia house release of the "A-Team" for some time now...

They quit shipping them to me after disc six which had "Out of Towners" on it...

Does anybody know where I could purchase discs that have:

--- “One More Time” – Air Date 4/12/1983
This episode, the United States government recruits the A-Team to rescue a general and his daughter from a band of guerillas in Borneo.

--- “Til Death Do Us Part” – Air Date 4/19/1983
In “Til Death Do Us Part”, the A-Team comes to the rescue of a woman who has inherited a large stake in a successful company. It seems that her late father’s business partner is trying to seize control of the company by making a reluctant bride out of the woman, so she enlists the A-Team to help her out of the situation.

--- “The Beast From the Belly of a Boeing” – 5/3/1983
In this episode, a team of hijackers seizes control of a commercial jetliner, and the A-Team becomes involved when the airport staff is told not to involve the authorities. Unfortunately, Hannibal’s foolproof plan to free the captive 747 requires some rethinking when the plane goes airborne, B.A. becomes catatonic, and Murdock gets temporarily blinded.

--- “A Nice Place to Visit” – Air Date 5/10/1983
While attending the funeral for a former colleague, the A-Team ends up aiding the local townsfolk, who are being terrorized by a murderous family.

When I have contacted 'CH' they tell me that they no longer offer the A-Team disc's

bboisvert 06-17-04 09:46 PM

Originally posted by flixtime
Home Theater Forum has posted their review of the set:

A-Team review at HTF

I realize that this may be a "challenging" review, but that seems a bit harsh.

He seems to slam the audio for being mono with a narrow soundstage. But the audio was *created* in mono and presented that way. Even though this is a show where things blow up real good, it is still a TV show from 1983. It's gonna sound like one.

He seems to acknowledge that with some of his comments, but his star ratings don't seem to take that into account. Not everything can be in 6.1 sound with rumbling bass...

I'm currently finishing this set up (mixing it in with some Buffy Season 6! ;) ) I don't regret the purchase for a second. I had planned to put this up on eBay when I was done, but I've decided to put it on the shelf instead. This is a great, fun set... perfect casual, summertime viewing.

[I do agree that the lack of supplements is disappointing. I expect to get a documentary/Mr. T commentary with Set 2. Are you listening, Universal?]

POWERBOMB 06-26-04 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Josh Z
www.epguides.com is a good resource for this type of question.
Thanks for the link.