Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Samurai X OVA (was: Anyone ever seen this anime show?)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Samurai X OVA (was: Anyone ever seen this anime show?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-04, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever seen this anime show?

SAMURAI X-1ST OVA COLLECTION

Been interested in this and looking for opinions. Suppose to be very good.
Old 06-09-04, 10:04 PM

I think that is the set with 3 Rurouni Kenshin movies, Trust, Betrayal, and Reflections. Trust and Betrayal is basically one movie split up into two parts, which is the prequel to the Rurouni Kenshin TV series. Reflections takes place after the TV series. Out of those 3 movie, I have only seen Trust and Betrayal. If you are familiar with the TV series, Trust and Betrayal is more of the opposite, darker and more serious. I highly recommend that set if you are a fan of the TV series or if you are new to the series, cause it has a nice blend of action, drama, and romance--it's one of my favorite anime series.
Old 06-10-04, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with MK above. Trust and Betrayal are very strong recommendations and are by far among my favorites. Reflections is a bit more subdued, but IMHO, a fitting end to the series. As OVA's, these can stand on their own without the TV series.

My opinion is to pull the trigger on this.
Old 06-10-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im on the other end, I think you have to experience the whole series to fully appreciate what was done in these OVAs.
Old 06-13-04, 01:11 PM
Defunct Account

I say go for it. Here's my review of the set:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9596
Old 06-16-04, 07:02 PM

Samurai X

I would also like to lend my enthusiastic support to picking up this set as well.

IMO, the OVA is far superior to the series and is more than able to stand on its own. In fact, Trust & Betrayal are prequels to the series and give you a history and background to the main character, Kenshin, that you would not otherwise have known
Spoiler:
(i.e. the origin of the "X" scar on his face)

Highly recommended.

-NHN
Old 06-21-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the series gives you is 90+ episodes wherein you care for these characters and then appreciate what was told in these OVAs, you feel more like it was deserved and earned, people seeing this only are spoiled in that they have access to it first whereas people who got into the series I think have a better appreciation for it, and some story arcs in the series are as epic as anything here.
Old 06-26-04, 02:01 AM

Highly Recommend!!

While Samurai X occurs prior to the events in the series, in the original telling of the story (the manga, which I also recommend) it was placed as either the third or fourth story arc, as a sort of history/flashback.

Of the set I have only seen Trust and Betrayal, but I can say it is definately worth owning even if you never see the series. It may be a little complicated to follow if you have no knowledge of Japanese history, or haven't seen any of the series just because there are frequent references to historical groups and the foreign names can make it somewhat confusing. But with beautiful animation and a completely engrossing story this is one anime that shouldn't be missed!
Old 06-26-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I reviewed Trust & Betrayal for DVDTalk a few years back and both are excellent. Reflections isn't so great. I never watched the series, tho, but Reflections is entirely different in tone & content, than the Trust & Betrayal OVAs (as I understand the series is).