Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'NBA Dynasty Series: Chicago Bulls (The 1990s)'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of NBA Dynasty Series: Chicago Bulls (The 1990s) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11014 and...

would you say that the game footage is at least tv circa 1990's quality? mainly because, i watched the 93 phoenox game on espn classic, and the video was very blurry and the audio was shitty. maybe a reason was beacause it was a tape from a local pheonox station.
also i read on reviews that warner decided to use the "greatest games" from espn classic as their games since they dedided to edit a portion of the games as well.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 06-06-04 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-06-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the footage is equal or better than mid-1990s broadcast quality, at least from what I remember. As I said in the review, Warner's excellent track record for video quality was really the only basis I made my opinion on. Anyway, I'll check that particular game in more detail later tonight and report back here.
Old 06-06-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Randy Miller III
Yes, the footage is equal or better than mid-1990s broadcast quality, at least from what I remember. As I said in the review, Warner's excellent track record for video quality was really the only basis I made my opinion on. Anyway, I'll check that particular game in more detail later tonight and report back here.
I was just reading your review and noticed a little mistake. In the paragraph beneeth the sports page pic, you have Kukoc listed as joining the Bulls in 1990. In fact Kukoc came to the Bulls after Jordans first retirement in '93-'94 season. No biggie though.
Old 06-06-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Rypro: I checked out the 1993 game, and it looks very good...not as sharp and well-defined as newer broadcasts, but easily at or above the level of its time. Also, this game is taken from the "Greatest Games" series (I'm pretty sure most or all of them are, actually), but I'm not sure what you meant when you said Warner Bros. chose to edit a portion of the games. Could you shed some light on this?

Purplechoe: Thanks for the heads-up...it was a simple typo that I'm surprised I hadn't caught by now.
Old 06-06-04, 11:13 PM

After watching the set this week, I have to say I am not overwhelingly impressed. While it is nice to get DVD versions of the championship season videos, the games were somewhat lacking. The games were NOT complete; the game clock jumps at some points, indicating the loss of portions. Some observations:

1) In the Title-clinching games of 1991 (Lakers), 1996 (Sonics) and 1998 (Jazz), the celebrations are edited down (I didn't watch the 1993 clincher (Suns) yet). I think this is the best part of each of the title-clinching games and was hoping that they would show the entire national NBC feeds showing all the celebration and post-game interviews.

2) In the Bulls-Jazz 1997 game 5, just over five minutes of the 4th quarter are edited out. The score is tied 77-77 at the 9:00 mark when the game went to commercial on a UTAH timeout. When the game resumed, it was 81-81 with just under 4:00 left and the BULLS inbound the ball. Is it really that difficult to keep the game intact?? I saw time losses in some of the other games, but I didn't keep track of them.

3) A nice addition I noticed are the trivia/sports facts added to the game screen (I assume from the ESPN Classic edited versions) at various points of the games.
Old 06-06-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I agree with the disappointment of not having more post-game celebration footage...at the very least, maybe it could have been added separately as a bonus features on each disc. Although I'm not really aware of how many different tape of the games exist (or the exact amount of footage cut), do you think these games were edited for time to fit in with their broadcast on ESPN Classic?

Overall though, I'm very much in agreement: the lackluster way in which these games were presented was what held this release back from earning higher marks.
Old 06-06-04, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Randy Miller III
Although I'm not really aware of how many different tape of the games exist (or the exact amount of footage cut), do you think these games were edited for time to fit in with their broadcast on ESPN Classic?
I noticed that ESPN Classics was airing the 1992 Game 6 clincher vs Portland and 1993 Game 6 clincher vs Phoenix back-to-back in 2-hour time slots yesterday. With commercials, that allows them about 1:40 of actual footage to air. They would HAVE to edit some footage out to get the whole game in their. Granted, we can assume they edit out the 'boring' portions of each game, but for purists like myself, those moments allow me to see what strategy a coach or player is trying to utilize.

As a side note, I have all of the Bulls ' Finals games taped on VHS. I taped directly from the NBC Chicago feed which contains the local post-game coverage as well. Unfortunately my 1991-1993 versions were taped with poor cable reception and with a cheap VCR (a double-whammy), so I have less-than-desirable video to watch. I was hoping this set was a first step to reclaim some good video.