DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Is "THE OTHERS' wit nicole KIDMAN a good BLIND BUY

Old 06-02-04, 05:28 PM
Banned

Is "THE OTHERS' wit nicole KIDMAN a good BLIND BUY

havent seen it. heard allot of mixed reviews on it. some people think its one of the best movies. some think it sucked. what yall think of it. is it a good blind buy or wat.
Old 06-02-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it builds allot of tension/suspense & the ending pays off...

best comparison would be sixth sense... similiar style.

good movie, but to me, the reply value is small cause the "style" of the movie.... basicly once you know the ending, there's no surprise again.

go buy if you like sixth sense kind of movie... or at least rent.

hope it helps & hope u've seen sixth sense
Old 06-02-04, 05:38 PM
Banned

yeah ive seen it.
so you think its worth the 10 bux for the collectors series. good to add to my collection.
Old 06-02-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for $10, i guess it's alright...
they got a 2-pack with the SIGN which also share the same style with the OTHERS & Sixth sense (well, i guess you probably knows that by now)

the extra features on the 2nd disc of The OTHERS are pretty much useless... not much you can learn from it.
but the movie itself is ok... picture transfer is pretty decent... & the 5.1 was good. too bad they didn't put DTS in it, it'd ROCK

oh, & the movie rely on Kidman's acting performance completely... well, maybe not completely, the directing also helps allot. sounds editiong really boost the tension & all that... thing.

so, if you're a fan of her, you might appreciate the move even more cause i think she did a good job in that movie.

hope it helps
Old 06-03-04, 01:50 AM

This is a great movie, but yes, the ending is such a twist surprise that it might not hold up to multiple viewings. Don't know anything about the bonus features or DVD itself, though.....
Old 06-03-04, 06:25 AM

This was a "sleeper" hit the year it came out. I went to see it based on the good word of mouth right here on dvdtalk. It's an excellent movie but as previously stated, once you know the twist, it's not quite the same the second time around.
Old 06-03-04, 10:27 AM

I've watched it twice, and it still holds up... not as strong, sure, but the Exorcist and the Sixth Sense holds up to repeat viewings, too!

The soundtrack is excellent.

The extras are cool, including a short film about some modern-day real kid with the same disease the kids in the film are afflicted with (yes, it's real).
Old 06-03-04, 02:59 PM

and the 5.1 soundmix is incredible - this is one of the films that would have benefitted from the new still in expermental phase - the height (in the ceiling) channel. To bad this DVD wasn't encoded with DTS sound that the Spain DVD edition has. (I also recall that the import edition is the only version with the director's commentary included- in Spanish).
Old 06-03-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it's a very well-made film. Unlike the Sixth Sense, it only takes about 20 minutes of film to figure out what's going on...it's visually interesting, but storywise it's rather lacking and doesn't hold up to repeat viewings.
Old 06-04-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't think it's a very well-made film. Unlike the Sixth Sense, it only takes about 20 minutes of film to figure out what's going on...
The Sixth Sense took about 4 minutes to figure out. The only thing that surprised me about that movie was why everyone else seemed to be so shocked by the ending.

All of these movies with "twist endings" are only good for repeat viewings if there is some substance there beyond the twist. The Others has interesting characters, a nice sense of atmosphere, and a good old-fashioned ghost story that would make for a good movie even without the big twist at the end.
Old 06-04-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
The Sixth Sense took about 4 minutes to figure out. The only thing that surprised me about that movie was why everyone else seemed to be so shocked by the ending.

All of these movies with "twist endings" are only good for repeat viewings if there is some substance there beyond the twist. The Others has interesting characters, a nice sense of atmosphere, and a good old-fashioned ghost story that would make for a good movie even without the big twist at the end.
Congratulations - but THE SIXTH SENSE holds up even if you know the "twist". THE OTHERS doesn't - it just becomes dull and uninteresting. My opinion, of course.
Old 06-04-04, 07:38 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is a rental only. So many better movies to invest in. See it once.
Old 06-04-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'm an idiot. I didn't figure the 6th Sense or the Others out before the end.

I just sit and relax and let the story tell itself. But now that we are all talking about "figuring out the twist end", he might as well not watch it, he'll be thinking too hard and ruin it for himself.

CFG!
Old 06-04-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Is "THE OTHERS' wit nicole KIDMAN a good BLIND BUY

Originally posted by maki
havent seen it. heard allot of mixed reviews on it. some people think its one of the best movies. some think it sucked. what yall think of it. is it a good blind buy or wat.
You posted a link to your collection and you have it under owned.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=367235

What's the dilly yo?
Old 06-04-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought it cheap yet I've only watched it once. Still, I'm happy that I own it.
Old 06-04-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Re: Is "THE OTHERS' wit nicole KIDMAN a good BLIND BUY

Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
You posted a link to your collection and you have it under owned.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=367235

What's the dilly yo?
Speaked of "owned"... (or is it pwn3d?)
Old 06-05-04, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by cornflakeguy
I guess I'm an idiot. I didn't figure the 6th Sense or the Others out before the end.

I just sit and relax and let the story tell itself. But now that we are all talking about "figuring out the twist end", he might as well not watch it, he'll be thinking too hard and ruin it for himself.

CFG!

I am also an idiot when it comes to movies with twist endings. I just wish my brain worked that way in other areas of life. Ignorance truly is bliss at times.
Old 06-05-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It suffers from a slow beginning, but when the ghostly stuff starts happening it's great. I this one is a love or hate film. I own and love it and Nicole too.
Old 06-06-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rent it, watch it, and forget about it.
Old 06-07-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by John-In-VA
I am also an idiot when it comes to movies with twist endings. I just wish my brain worked that way in other areas of life. Ignorance truly is bliss at times.
Same here. And I'm also happy about that fact. It makes watching movies more enjoyable.
Old 06-07-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was a "one watcher" for me. Cool ending to a forgettable film.
Old 06-09-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nicole Kidman did a ravishing job in this film. Go and buy this film.