Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Widescreen Edition)'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Widescreen Edition)'

Old 05-19-04, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read David Blair's DVD review of The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Widescreen Edition) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10767 and...

I guess it's kind of pointless to point out that "Return of the King" isn't a perfect film (my least favorite of the three, in fact) on the DVD Talk forums. It would have been nice to see a little more objective review...but then again, I review movies that I'm totally in love with as well, so I understand that it's sometimes hard to be objective with a film that you personally find fantastic. However, I would think the lack of bonus material alone would keep this one from "The Collectors Series" - but once again, this is a personal decision left up to the individual reviewer.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 05-19-04 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-19-04, 07:02 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

so how come you don't review it and post? you are right..it might be nice to see a more objective point of view.
Old 05-19-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd tend to agree with you here. Having not taken a look at the DVD myself, I can only guess that it's probably "Highly Recommended" territory, especially if you consider a figure skating judge mentality of leaving room for the EE, which would shock me if it weren't one of the best DVD sets ever. Still, I can somewhat empathize with where David is coming from. Seeing The Lord of the Rings realized in this manner is such a major event for so many of us that it must be very difficult to place a value on it.

I'm sure it's no surprise that I also agree with your "but then again" clause, considering the perfect scores handed out to 24's second season and Daredevil.

das

P.S. You "whet" your appetite.

P.P.S. Thank you to both of you for the effort you put into your reviews.
Old 05-19-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey

I'm sure it's no surprise that I also agree with your "but then again" clause, considering the perfect scores handed out to 24's second season and Daredevil.

das

Yes, that's why I added that clause...I loved both those titles and realize why someone who loved RETURN OF THE KING would be apt to give it a collector's series nod. However, I'll argue that the bonus features on both "24 Season 2" and "Daredevil" were worthy of a "5". I also loved "Shoot To Kill" - even moreso than "Daredevil", but didn't give it a Collector's Series because of the lack of bonus material. BTW, these are the ONLY two DVDs I've given the "Collector Series" nod to...so while I may have askew tastes, I don't give out such recommendations lightly (I've reviewed over 100 titles for DVD Talk).

There are two reasons I'm not going to review it:

A) I'm not planning on buying it

B) I'm still getting hate mail from my bad "Hulk" review last year, and don't need the Peter Jackson fans teaming up with the John Woo fans who have put a bounty on my head.

Once again, I should point out I was just hoping for a little more objectivity, rather than statements like "The Return of the King is an absolute masterpiece of movie making history". Sorry - The Godfather is an absolute materpiece of movie making history...ROTK is an abosolute masterpiece of marketing genius by New Line Pictures. Good film, but not one that I'm going to remember much about 10 years from now or watch over and over again from now until the day I die. Then again, I though Mystic River should have won the Oscar this year, so what the hell do I know?

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 05-19-04 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
B) I'm still getting hate mail from my bad "Hulk" review last year, and don't need the Peter Jackson fans teaming up with the John Woo fans who have put a bounty on my head.
The John Woos fans are just acting on behest of the Ang Lee fans, apparently.
Old 05-19-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

Well, Dave had me until this comment
I had the pleasure of NOT seeing TROTK in theaters, therefore avoiding all the immense hype that surrounded the film. I believe this has given me an unbiased view of the greatness of this film.
I don't know if I can endorse someone who refers to NOT having seen a movie, especially this one, in the theatres as a "pleasure"...
Old 05-19-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
The John Woos fans are just acting on behest of the Ang Lee fans, apparently.
Damn...you're right! I've not only blocked out the movie, I've blocked out the director!

I sincerely applogize to John Woo. I've gravely insulted him by mentioning his name with that train wreck!
Old 05-19-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Shannon Nutt •

B) I'm still getting hate mail from my bad "Hulk" review last year, and don't need the Peter Jackson fans teaming up with the Ang Lee fans who have put a bounty on my head.
Hate mail? That's no good. At least I had the curtesy to criticize it publicly. I mean, zero stars?!? I didn't like it either, but ZERO STARS?!?

• Shannon Nutt •

Sorry - The Godfather is an absolute materpiece of movie making history...ROTK is an abosolute masterpiece of marketing genius by New Line Pictures. Good film, but not one that I'm going to remember much about 10 years from now or watch over and over again from now until the day I die.
While all our opinions will differ, keep in mind that there are many people who do consider it an absolute masterpiece of movie making. Not everyone will fall in line on that, but this is the kind of film millions of people will be telling their grandchildren about. Nearly every film from last year will slowly disappear into movie geek territory, but 50 years from now people (although not you) will be talking about how they "were there" when Lord of the Rings was finally legitimately realized on the big screen. In that respect, it's a remarkable achievement deserving of a certain level of uniquely overzealous praise. Even if some of us don't think it was that spectacular, clearly there's a staggering number who do, enough so that at least on IMDB it's in a virtual tie with my favorite film, the aforementioned Godfather. As such, when critiquing a review of this film, one must consider that such lofty praise isn't a rogue (or 588 rogues) opinion from a lone viewer blinded by inobjectivity, but it is the shared opinion of millions. That certainly doesn't make it "right," but I think it does make it credible.

das
Old 05-19-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

minor nitpick about the review, can you lose the "T" in trotk and just leave it as "rotk", since for me it makes it distracting. (and i agree with everything the man said in his review)
Old 05-20-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sincerely applogize to John Woo. I've gravely insulted him by mentioning his name with that train wreck!
As much as I didn't care for Hulk, it was still better than John Woo's last few movies.
Old 05-20-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Widescreen Edition)'

I read David Blair's DVD review of The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Widescreen Edition) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10767 and...

I guess it's kind of pointless to point out that "Return of the King" isn't a perfect film (my least favorite of the three, in fact) on the DVD Talk forums. It would have been nice to see a little more objective review...However, I would think the lack of bonus material alone would keep this one from "The Collectors Series" - but once again, this is a personal decision left up to the individual reviewer.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-21-04, 02:58 AM

First off, movie reviews are subjective, which means no answer is the "right" answer. You can either agree or disagree. (And where’s the fun in always agreeing?)

Secondly, how can one say I’m not “objective” just because I loved the film? I didn’t love the film going into the review. I hadn’t even seen the movie prior to this DVD. Heck, for all I knew I could have hated it. Believe me if I thought the movie sucked I would have said it. But to me the movie didn’t suck, quite the opposite really.

I thought this movie was the best of the bunch for several reasons, the most obvious being the emotional connection between the characters. ROTK was all about conclusion and themes. Tolkien’s most treasured underlying themes throughout his book were friendship and death. And these two themes were portrayed so well in ROTK that it almost made the other movies merely “above average” in retrospect. Sure the other two movies had cool (possibly better) action with great fights scenes, neat characters, beautiful settings and a whole lot of Orc slaying, but ROTK had that special quality that makes movies truly great; namely emotional substance. ROTK moved me in a way the other two did not. Obviously it didn’t have the same affect on everyone.

As far as giving ROTK a “Collectors Series” rating, I feel it’s wholly justified. I’m tired of only seeing movies with 8 hours of special features getting the special treatment. If this disc had come with zero features it would still get the highest rating from me because the movie is just that good. Plus the audio and video are first rate. People can agree or disagree till the cows come home.

Don’t worry. I guarantee other reviewers will do a write-up for this DVD soon, (Aaron?) and I’m fairly certain their conclusion will more closely mirror the “other” majority who didn’t like the film as much, which is great since diversity is what makes this review site so appealing. I personally disagree with a lot of the reviews posted on this site, and you know what? It doesn’t bother me one bit. I love reading different opinions. I believe those who get upset when they read something as trivial as a movie review need to take a step back and ask themselves why on earth are they so bothered? After all it’s just a movie review, not a congressional bill legalizing puppy torture.

We all love movies and we all love to be entertained. Remember, these reviews are only opinions, nothing more.

Last edited by David Blair; 05-21-04 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-21-04, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey

Thanks to both, das.
Old 05-21-04, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
minor nitpick about the review, can you lose the "T" in trotk and just leave it as "rotk", since for me it makes it distracting. (and i agree with everything the man said in his review)
Done. And thanks.
Old 05-25-04, 09:32 AM
Cool New Member

Once again, I should point out I was just hoping for a little more objectivity, rather than statements like "The Return of the King is an absolute masterpiece of movie making history". Sorry - The Godfather is an absolute materpiece of movie making history...ROTK is an abosolute masterpiece of marketing genius by New Line Pictures.
Nice try but your attempt to illustrate an objective statement is undermined by comparing 2 movies. That is always a subjective statement.

I can just as easily switch the placement of these 2 movies in your statement and state it as fact. When in fact, it is not. It's your opinion.

BTW, for the record, I'll take the LOTR trilogy over the Godfather every day of the week.

Both are masterpieces.

Last edited by Lou Sytsma; 05-25-04 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-26-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just gotta say I am really impressed that New Line got this level of video quality on this disc. I don't exactly have reference quality equipment, but I can tell the transfer is possibly even BETTER than Two Towers TE and leaps better than Fellowship Of The Ring. I can't wait to see how the EE looks.

And, after 7 viewings, I am sure once again that this is one of the greatest films ever made.
Old 05-26-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
I just gotta say I am really impressed that New Line got this level of video quality on this disc. I don't exactly have reference quality equipment, but I can tell the transfer is possibly even BETTER than Two Towers TE and leaps better than Fellowship Of The Ring. I can't wait to see how the EE looks.

And, after 7 viewings, I am sure once again that this is one of the greatest films ever made.
Amazing job in the dvd video! I hope someone got a pat on the back for putting in the extra effort to make sure the video was as good as it could be considing the space on one disk.

I am not sure how much better the EE version will be, it will have 20 minutes extra video per disk and it will have DTS. There are a few shadow sceens that could be improved, but everything else was already great.

Any other comments on the video?
Old 05-31-04, 08:37 PM

I wasn't going to buy this disc until after I saw the review. I figured I'd rent it, since I hadn't seen it yet, and then just buy the special EE in November.

The disc, and movie, were worth every penny. The quality of this disc is fantastic.
Old 05-31-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked this up even though I don't have the previous 2. I just thought the movie was too good to wait for November like I usually do. "DVDTALK Collector's Series" is a great label for the movie, but I think you should've waited for the EE, because you can't rate any higher than that can you? Or maybe we should change the rating system come November .
Old 06-03-04, 04:26 AM

to the dvd reviewers:

i understand that you review the movies themselves. but isn't the point of this site, i thought anyway, to review the DVD itself, as you do. you know the presentation, quality, extras, etc...?

so do most of you that read the reviews really pay attention to the reviews of the movie themselves?

i read them but don't really pay a whole lot of attention because i want to know about the dvd contents and quality.
Old 06-03-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LuisL
to the dvd reviewers:

i understand that you review the movies themselves. but isn't the point of this site, i thought anyway, to review the DVD itself, as you do. you know the presentation, quality, extras, etc...?
If you don't want to read the reviewer's thoughts on the movie, you can easily skip down to the clearly marked portions of the article dedicated to Video, Audio, and Bonus Features.

Last edited by Josh Z; 06-03-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep. It depends on the film for me. If I've seen it, I'm not overly interested in the film review portion. However, if I'm new to the film or haven't had a chance to see it, a review of the content is very helpful and relevant. I would argue that the "point" of this site isn't simply the technical aspects of DVDs, but the entire package, one key component of which is the content itself.

das
Old 06-03-04, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
If you don't want to read the reviewer's thoughts on the movie, you can easily skip down to the clearly marked portions of the article dedicated to Video, Audio, and Bonus Features.
ya don't say!!

did you not read the rest of my post? i stated i read them but don't pay much attention to them because i like to know about the dvd itself and not the movie, so i do skip down to where the part about the dvd is.
Old 06-04-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LuisL
ya don't say!!

did you not read the rest of my post? i stated i read them but don't pay much attention to them because i like to know about the dvd itself and not the movie, so i do skip down to where the part about the dvd is.
Then what's the problem? What was the point of your complaint?