DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Azumanga Daioh - Entrance (Vol. 1)'

Old 05-03-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DVD Talk review of 'Azumanga Daioh - Entrance (Vol. 1)'

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Azumanga Daioh - Entrance (Vol. 1) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10532 and...
I thought that it was spot on. The dub is one of the most anoying that I have heard to date. That aside, it is a rather good show that will have most viewers laughing.
Old 05-05-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the R2 boxes around a year and a half ago, but I thought I'd read the R1 review anyway to see how ADV did. I didn't expect the dub to be good, but then again I am against dubbing. But that's not why I posted. A couple reasons I did though:

The aliasing you saw is present on the R2s as well, so it's likely ADV used the same master.

As for Osaka having a southern accent, that is because in the original Japanese, she has an Osaka accent. At some point in the American anime-"translating" industry, they decided that in order to reflect the differences between standard Japanese and Osaka and other Kansai dialects, they would use a southern American accent in place of a standard one. I don't know if ADV also translated that Chiyo always speaks politely, Yomi has a tendency to lapse into a rowdy thug-ish tone when she's angry (very atypical of a high school girl) etc.

Anyway, if there are no overlays, then it sounds like as long as you don't listen to the dub, you may have a decent release there.
Old 05-05-04, 11:05 PM
Defunct Account

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
At some point in the American anime-"translating" industry, they decided that in order to reflect the differences between standard Japanese and Osaka and other Kansai dialects, they would use a southern American accent in place of a standard one.
I know, and I really hate it. I don't have anything against good quality dubs, but this southern accent thing is a pet peeve of mine. Mainly because the actresses lay it on really thick. Having lived a good part of my life in the southern US, I know what a real southern accent sopunds like, and this ain't it. Maybe if they were more subtle it would sound more natural.

Anyway, if there are no overlays, then it sounds like as long as you don't listen to the dub, you may have a decent release there.
The overlays were removable.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.