Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Talk me into buying Donnie Darko

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 02-28-04, 02:06 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey kids,

I know it's only like, $10 now, and I know there's supposed to be a better version in the works that I may as well wait for so as not to double-dip - but I keep hearing things about this one and I still haven't seen it.

I mean, is it something that I, as a film lover, need to see immediately, or should I just wait?
Old 02-28-04, 08:16 AM

I picked this up as a blind buy about a year ago. If you like the unusual, this disk is for you. It has love, science, humor and irony. The photography is great and it's a moving story. The disk has a pant-load of extras including a whole mess of deleted scenes (with commentary). If that doesn't convince you, the haunting and sad music at the end will win you over. I won't have any problem double dipping on this one.
Old 02-28-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I dont know how else to put it than- "great film". The soundtrack bodes quite amazingly with the story. If only most of the American films had as much as this film to offer......
Old 02-28-04, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I don't know... I'm still on the fence...

What one thing would knock me off?
Old 02-28-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally posted by jough
I don't know... I'm still on the fence...

What one thing would knock me off?
Me, if you don't buy it!

Seriously friend, what else do you need other than what you've heard so far in this thread? And possibly every other thread in DVDTalk alone. This was an instant cult classic for a reason. It is a GREAT film. You're only talking about $10.00 here.
Old 02-28-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

His name is Donnie Darko. How cool is that.
Old 02-28-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a better edition coming out later?
Old 02-28-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There supposedly will be a "Director's Cut" special edition sometime...but I don't see what can be improved, besides the transfer and some more gew-gaws thrown on the disc. It's one of my favorite films and just about perfect as it is, I think.
Old 02-28-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Donnie Darko is the ultimate movie when it comes to rewatchability. It's a rare film that you could watch a dozen times and everytime feel like you are "that close" to understanding it all if only you'd watch it just once more.

Lost Highway would be another movie that comes close. But with that one you watch it a dozen times and realize you still have no friggin idea whats going on and never will.
Old 02-29-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey...any film with a soundtrack featuring 'Echo & The Bunnymen' and featuring the excellent 'Tears For Fears' song..Mad World (albeit a cover version) has to be worth seeing!
Old 02-29-04, 12:55 AM
Suspended

Lost Highway is one of the few films not on DVD that I really want.

Well, that and a less ridiculously packaged version of Eraserhead.

Hmm... there are lots of great films out there for $10, with great extras, etc.

I mean, why should I pick up Donnie Darko over, say, "Peyton Place: Fox Studio Classics"?

I mean, is there really a knock-it-out-of-the-park reason to own this disc sight unseen? Yeah, it's a great film you say. But there are a lot of great films.

I'm just looking for one thing. For instance, I was on the fence last week about "Requiem for a Dream" - and then someone mentioned that Jennifer Connelly was naked in it. SOLD!

So I'm wondering if there's one thing that would push Donnie Darko into my shopping card - not necessarily nudity - just... something. Something special.
Old 02-29-04, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
It has a big scary rabbit named Frank in it. You should buy Donnie Darko and Harvey and have a big bunny filmfest next weekend.

tasha
(Also, I'm drunk. So this might not be as good an idea as it sounds to me right now. )

(Also, like your "location." My favorite was Leather Goddesses of Phobos, but I loved all those old infocom games).

Last edited by tasha99; 02-29-04 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-29-04, 12:43 PM
Suspended

Whoa. Hold the phone.

A BIG SCARY RABBIT NAMED 'FRANK'?

Why has no one mentioned this before?

That's it. SOLD.

Thank you all for indulging my thread of whimsy.

P.S. DDD has a package deal with Donnie Darko and One Hour Photo for only $22 - it's a decent price for both films if, like me, you don't have either.
Old 02-29-04, 01:57 PM

I'm just looking for one thing. For instance, I was on the fence last week about "Requiem for a Dream" - and then someone mentioned that Jennifer Connelly was naked in it. SOLD!
Old 02-29-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Best Buy has the Donnie Darko/One Hour Photo two pack for 19.99.
Old 02-29-04, 06:27 PM
Suspended

Eh, well - too late now. I already placed my DDD order.

With sales tax it'd be about the same for me anyway.
Old 03-03-04, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
Lost Highway would be another movie that comes close. But with that one you watch it a dozen times and realize you still have no friggin idea whats going on and never will.
I loved Donnie Darko and would like to check out Lost Highway. Where does one get this DVD? There are several "factory sealed region 1" DVDs on eBay going for about $8. Are these legit?
Old 03-03-04, 06:16 PM
Suspended

Lost Highway is available in Canada (which is R1) but it's only Pan & Scan and looks like VHS. It's not so good.

So there *is* a legit region 1 disc out there, but beware of it, because it's awful. There are lots of bootlegs on eBay too - some of which may even be of better quality than the semi-official release.
Old 03-03-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a SE of Lost Highway being released this year, R1, if I'm not mistaken. Will be nice to replace my old worn out VHS copy.

About Donnie Darko, I wasn't a big fan of this movie. The music in the movie is the only thing I liked about it. Skip Donnie Darko, and get Donnie Brasco!
Old 03-03-04, 06:40 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
There is a SE of Lost Highway being released this year, R1, if I'm not mistaken. Will be nice to replace my old worn out VHS copy.

About Donnie Darko, I wasn't a big fan of this movie. The music in the movie is the only thing I liked about it. Skip Donnie Darko, and get Donnie Brasco!
Haven't heard that about Lost Highway.

And re: Donnie Darko - NOW you tell me. Where were you before I placed my order?

Well, I'm happy to finally see this thing, even if it's to not enjoy it. Worse comes to worse I'll Half.com it by the end of the week.
Old 03-04-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know if I'd wait for the directors cut. I've seen the deleted scenes and I think I prefer it in it's current form. Then again, I'm not sure what would actually get added in the DC.

Just pick it up already!
Old 03-06-04, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by RichDB10
Hey...any film with a soundtrack featuring 'Echo & The Bunnymen' and featuring the excellent 'Tears For Fears' song..Mad World (albeit a cover version) has to be worth seeing!
Amen brother.
Old 03-06-04, 02:53 PM

"dark, darker, darko..."

Only that tagline is worth for buying

I am also considering to get Donnie Darko but 2disc tinbox version, it seems pretty good

Last edited by ketya; 03-07-04 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-06-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Whoa. Hold the phone.

A BIG SCARY RABBIT NAMED 'FRANK'?
Now I saw that and had the "I'm outta there" exact opposite reaction.
Old 03-12-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well although its too late by now, I'd say rent it first. Just watched it and can't really see all the hoopla about this movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.