Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Near Dark-BILL PAXTON IS AWESOME!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-04, 05:07 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently decided to look up some Bill Paxton movies cause im a big fan and found one of his movies "Near Dark" to be on the shelf at the blockbuster i work at. I instantly picked it up, rented it out, and asked my boss to leave early. Any of you that are Bill Paxton fans, and havent seen near dark, check it out. HE'S GREAT! The movie itself is so-so, but bill paxton makes it worth it. Also, they have a 2-disc special edition of the movie out, so CHECK IT OUT!
Old 02-14-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and... it has a dts soundtrack, too...!!!...

. . . . . .
Old 02-14-04, 06:41 PM
Cool New Member

AWESOME! I DIDNT KNOW THAT! Thanks so much hehe and again, watch it, Bill Paxton is BADASS!
Old 02-15-04, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Millafan, i'll have to put that on my Netflix list...If you haven't seen Bill in Tombstone or the movie he directed ( I can't remeberits name). I'd recommend them to you..
Old 02-16-04, 11:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Indeed it is - one of my favorite DVDs to be perfectly honest.
Old 02-16-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
This is one terrific vampire movie. Anchor Bay did an outstanding job with their release of Near Dark.

[and kudos to Hendrik for linking to my review - thanks!]
Old 02-16-04, 04:13 PM
Cool New Member

yeah, i have the collectors box set of tombstone, awesome....and he directed frailty, which i also own, another good flick. those who havent seen it, check em out!!! also, for those who havent seen it yet, and liked aliens, Lance Henriksen and Jenette Goldstein are in Near Dark as well. Lance, Bill, and Jenette all appeared in Aliens, the second installment to the alien quadrilogy about a year prior to near dark.

Last edited by millafan; 02-16-04 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Thanks.. I didn't know it was on dvd. One of my favorite films in the late 80's. Now if only Dudes comes to dvd. Or maybe it is and I don't even know it.
Old 02-19-04, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're a Bill Paxton fan you must see One False Move! I just saw this the other day in my Film Noir class, and I must say it's my favorite movie he's been in. He does an amazing job, as does the rest of the cast, and the movie is just very good (albeit depressing).
Old 02-19-04, 03:33 AM
Cool New Member

Awesome, heard he was good in the movie, think I'll check it out, thanks for the recomendation!
Old 02-19-04, 04:18 AM

My standards for a Bill Paxton role are usually not very high. If he talks in the movie I'll be happy. He's one of my favorite actors. He's the only reason I'd give Commando a perfect 10. I had never heard of Near Dark and decided to check it out with millafan. We were pleasantly surprised when he kicked so much ass in this movie. In my opinion, his role in Near Dark is second only to Aliens. "Game over, man!" Bishop and Vasquez rock in this movie also.
Old 02-19-04, 10:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
"Stop your grinnin' and drop
your linen!"

"Well why don't you just put her in charge!"

welcome to the club millafan, check out Frailty (the movie he directed, he also provide a commentary) and A Simple Plan if you haven't seen them already.

that reminds me to try and locate my Near Dark one sheet that features Bill in burnt and crispy mode with streams of light coming out of his face - its a grosteque but visually amazing poster for the movie.

also I found his small role in True Lies to be a trip, oh and I also liked him in Predator 2

Can't wait to see him in the upcoming live-action version fo Thunderbirds

Last edited by Giles; 02-19-04 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-19-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
"One False Move", "A Simple Plan" and "Frailty" are Paxton's best movies.

And if you're a Bill Paxton fan in general, seek out his 80's band Martini Ranch. Cotton candy music for sure. But amusing.
Old 02-19-04, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Daytripper

And if you're a Bill Paxton fan in general, seek out his 80's band Martini Ranch. Cotton candy music for sure. But amusing.
I love the cheesy song that starts off "Kiss the fat goodbye". Wow! another Bill Paxton fan who owns this CD. Surprised Leno (or any other late night host) hasn't dug this out when interviewing him.
Old 02-19-04, 01:19 PM
Cool New Member

I've heard of all the movies you guys have mentioned that Bill is in, unfortunately, i have limited time and funds, the best part is, i can see if we have em at work (i work at blockbuster) free rentals for me! WOOHOO!!!!! Watch out severen 2517, i just might be planning a Bill Paxton kick ass actor night and watch all his movies in a row. Wouldnt that b a trip, who cares how long into the night it lasts cause "we keep odd hours." Also i heard that a music videos "reach" a song by martini ranch has appearences by lance henriksen, jenette goldstein, and even kathryn Bigelow as head of the amazon cowboy women (what a trip) and the best part, that the music video is directed by James Cameron!!!! ITS FINGER LICKIN GOOD!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-04, 01:28 PM
Cool New Member

Originally poster by giles
that reminds me to try and locate my Near Dark one sheet that features Bill in burnt and crispy mode with streams of light coming out of his face
THATS THE EXACT POSTER I WANT! I started another thread in cover art, insert section seeing if anyone knows where i can get that poster! Its one of the most amazing posters ive seen!!!
Old 02-19-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always nice to see some Paxton appreciation. I'm a huge fan of his work & him, he just seems like really down to earth, genuinly nice guy. I dig him in pretty much everything he does.

Don't forgot, for all the Paxton fans that seem to be popping up in this thread, next week Club Dread comes out by the brilliant Brokwn Lizard troup & Paxton has a pretty big comedic role in the movie.

On topic, Near Dark is indeed one of the best DVDs ever IMO & my second favorite vampire movie. I was in love with the girl in the movie when I first saw it & still think she is insanely hot, but I don't think she ever went on to do anuthing else
Old 02-19-04, 02:48 PM
Cool New Member

no, she kinda dropped outta the movie scene some time after near dark, they couldnt even find her for an interview on the new special edition of near dark. And i swear when they were talkin about her to Adrian Pasdar (Caleb Colton in the movie) it seemed like he was gonna break down and cry. All in all, BUY THE NEW SET OF NEAR DARK! The making of and interviews are awesome, its amazong what goes on in some flicks behind the camera. BUY IT AND LIKE IT!!!!!! AND IM GONNA BE FIRST TO SEE CLUB DREAD!!!! actually, probably not, but im gonna love it, cause PAXTON AND BROKEN LIZARD!!!!
Old 02-19-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No one has mentioned Streets of Fire. Early, small Paxton part and great fun movie.
Old 02-19-04, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by movielib
No one has mentioned Streets of Fire. Early, small Paxton part and great fun movie.
or even his role in Wierd Science

and Mortuary

Last edited by Giles; 02-19-04 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 04:36 PM
Cool New Member

also, he co-starred in a movie with Judd Nelson (Breakfast Club) called The Dark Backward. Ive been wondering about this film, and if anyone has seen it, gimme some feedback on it, ive wanted to check it out for some time now. AND CANT FORGET PAXTON AS THE RADAR OPERATOR IN COMMANDO! Its so weird seeing Paxton in 2 movies with Arnold, and both of em he has tiny parts. He was also the gang leader in The Terminator, pretty cool! He's also a kick in Predator 2 as Giles pointed out, he just seems to be the perfect guy to act out those "Im better than you, get outta my way or I'll kick your a**" annoying parts in movies. GOTTA LOVE PAXTON!
Old 02-19-04, 07:36 PM

hey milla your forgetting the OTHER with paxton and arnold. YOU FORGOT TRUE LIES BRO!!!! he played the ***** used car salesman!! awesome role for paxton. Funny as hell!
Old 02-19-04, 08:00 PM

Bill Paxton has been in some great movies like Titanic and Twister,you should check out a movie called "A bright and Shineing Lie" that stars Bill Paxton,not as well know as some of his other movies but he does a great job in this vietnam war movie
Old 02-19-04, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by chichiri074
hey milla your forgetting the OTHER with paxton and arnold. YOU FORGOT TRUE LIES BRO!!!! he played the ***** used car salesman!! awesome role for paxton. Funny as hell!
yeah... ... (sigh)
Old 02-19-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
I was in love with the girl in the movie when I first saw it & still think she is insanely hot, but I don't think she ever went on to do anuthing else
Last time I saw her was in Young Guns 2. And I just wanna know if she used a body double in her last scene

And am I the only guy on earth that saw Pass the ammo? Paxton's '88 flick with Tim Curry?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.