Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Looking for a review of "The Best of Abbott & Costello - Volume 1 (8 Film Coll)"

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Looking for a review of "The Best of Abbott & Costello - Volume 1 (8 Film Coll)"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone pick this up already? How's the quality?
Old 02-11-04, 01:08 PM

I scoured the Net during the past week for such a review and haven't found any yet. It's odd to have no reviews for such a generous compendium of comedy classics from a major studio. I knew I wanted the movies, but I was curious about the technical quality of the transfers and quality of the features, if any.
Old 02-11-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well it is a Universal release and I don't think they send out early screener copies anymore. It does seem like this set is getting very little notice though. None of the big chain stores promoted it with sales. There aren't even many people on the net giving it mention. I was hesitant on ordering it but then thought that this might be the only decent versions we'll ever see so I went for it. I'm still waiting on my DDD order so I can't comment on the quality but you would think somebody who has their hands on a copy would've said something somewhere by now.
Old 02-12-04, 06:00 AM

I picked up my copy at Target for $19.99 yesterday and watched one of the films, Buck Privates. I'm happy with the quality of the transfers. I wouldn't consider myself a sophisticated reviewer who can spot every bit of edge enhancement and grain, but in my opinion it looked very clean. Let's put it this way. For the price, you can't beat it. Audio is of course mono, so nothing spectacular there.

BTW, I watched it on a 50" Toshiba HDTV.

As far as extras, the production notes were mildly interesting as was the trailer. Would have been nice to see any interviews these guys might have done, if any exist. I know Lou died pretty young, but Bud stuck around a bit longer.

Conclusion: Can't go wrong getting 8 movies for this price.

Oh, and yes, it has an insert with brief descrips of the movies.
Old 02-12-04, 12:13 PM

Someone in the DVD Talk forum posted this link:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=165416

Apparently, a number of people are reporting that the disks are defective, showing glitches during playback of the movies.
I was afraid this release was too good to be true. I have my fingers crossed for when I start watching them this weekend.
Old 02-12-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And in our own forum here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=346841

I've played two movies thus far and have not had any probs. My ten year old laughed out loud! Great stuff.