Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Godzilla vs Megaguirus...my thoughts as a huge G fan

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the DVD from Deep Discount today. I had tried watching the films years ago on a VHS dub of the laser disc, but the dub quality was awful and I never finished it. Once I heard this (along with GMK) were coming out on DVD I pre-ordered imediately (the new Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla is scheduled for a March DVD release with Japanese language as well). For my viewing Purposes the movie was watched subtitled (dubbing just plain ruins foreign language movies!!!).

The movie itself as a Godzilla film is just there, meaning worse and better films exist in the franchise. In fact the movie offers nothing new to the franchise at all as most main story components were just lifted from the Hesei series of the 90s (super special flying vehicle borrowed from Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla 2 and Godzilla vs Destroyer, military officer who's platoon was wiped out sets out to kill Godzilla for revenge lifted from Godzilla vs SPaceGodzilla, Robotics genius borrowed from Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2, the lsit goes on). Normally the borrowing of material from other films in the series (term used loosely as it shares no connection with any other Godzilla film) may not be a bad thing, but in this case everything borrowed was done BETTER in other films from the series. The largest complaint though is the FX, they mostly suck. Toho threw a lot of CGI into this movie and strangely enough it works when it is used to ENHANCE Godzilla (thankfully they learned in Godzilla 2000 that the Japanese/True Godzilla does not animate well in CGI) however the Megaguirus (all forms) and the Griffon Plane look like crap in CGI. The are blatantly out of place in the shots they are in and the Megaguirus forms stand out from the background so much I kept expecting them to just fall off my TV. It gets worse though. When Megaguirus finally materalizes (this being the largest form of the monster), it must face an enemy that undoes it faster than Godzilla. That enemy is called WIRES. You can see them everywhere. Hanging from just offscreen to make wings flutter up and down and to work MegaG's (the new name for Megaguirus as I am sick of typing it) tail. You'd think with all the other CGI in the movie they could have taken a few minutes to remove the damn wires (which actually only appear during the night shots, they are removed form the day shots). The other main problem with the FX is that the monsters mostly appear during the day. If you watch past Godzilla films (especially the Hesei series) you will notice the creatures come out at night. The reason is that during daylight, guys in rubber suits look like guys in rubber suits. At night (when lit properly as seen in the Hesei series which also pulled off some nice daytime suit acting) the rubber suits look much more realistic, not to mention cooler. Form my final bit of complaining about the FX, what is with all the slowmotion shots in the movie at the end? They look very poor (almost as if they were shot on digital video and editted at home instead of being shot on film) and are not up to the picture quality of the rest of the movie. Not only that but if you ever seen how a Godzilla fight is filmed (picture someone wearing a 200 lb suit have to do everything extremely fast, and then having the film slowed to normal speed-Toho actually used to provide movie clips of this on their website), this slow-mo seems like a waste and the end result is worthless.

As for the DVD, the picture quality (bad FX and stupid slow-mo scene not withstanding) is pretty good. It is presented in a 2.35:1 anamorphic ratio with no noticeable artifacting and very little print problems (i.e. dirt and the like on the film).

To sum it up, see it if you are a Godzilla fan, just keep in mind the films from the previous decade (and the Gamera films of the same period) have much better FX, and that it is only a mediocre entry into the franchise.

Hopefully tomorrow or this weekend I can get a review of GMK up.
Old 02-02-04, 03:24 PM

I really loved this film, but you're right about the slow motion shots. I found them to be very unnecessary and rather "clunky" in execution.
Godzilla has a great design in this, but those shots in slo-mo didn't do him any justice.
The rest of the film was pretty fun. A solid dvd purchase on the whole, however.
Old 04-14-04, 11:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
This movie has a real Heisei-Era feel to it. It's my least favorite Godzilla movie of the modern era. It does have some nice sequences. G lighting up the Meganulas is as great a scene as you'll see in one of these movies. Check this movie out if you're a G fan, otherwise there are better G movies to watch if you're just a casual fan.
Old 04-17-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like this movie. I thought the ending fight scene with Megaguirus was fantastic. Although this is no GMK, I would rank it above all the Heisei movies and I also liked it better than Godzilla against Mechagodzilla.
Old 04-17-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I definitely prefer the Millenium series films over any of the Heisei series---those just didn't grab me as much as these newer ones. I think the miniature work has improved a lot, too---some of those Heisei ones seemed to have really sub-par miniature cities compared to the classic 60's ones.
I generally liked Megaguiras a lot, and thought it had some really great scenes----the fight against the Meganula swarm, the commander swimming after G in the ocean, the Dimension Tide fx. But man, I'm just baffled by the scene where you can see all the wires holding up Megaguiras. I've seen quite a few kaiju movies, and I don't think I've ever seen an FX shot that bad in ANY of these movies going back to the 50's---heck, not even in the much lower budget TV stuff like Ultraman. It almost seemed like the director was purposesly showing the wires to poke some fun at the genre. I mean, sure, the lo-tech special effects are part of the fun for most of us who are fans of the genre, but this just seemed like shoddy, shoddy work---especially when there were a ton of great looking FX in this movie.
Old 04-17-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I enjoyed this too, I thought the swimming after G scene was cool.

This is my first G movie in Japanese though, so maybe I'm biased.

The other two are next on my list to pickup.
Old 04-23-04, 08:36 AM

Well guys, I did watch Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla. It was again only a decent Godzilla movie ruined by what is becoming the most overused Kaiju movie plot: Female military officer disgraced by Kaiju at beginning of film when it kills her superior spend the rest of the movie going after said Kaiju. That is the plot right there. Throw in MechaGodzilla as her way to fight Godzilla and there is nothing else to the story. GMK had better FX, but GaMechaG's FX are better than the FX in GvMegaG. The battle scenes are ok, but lack the brutality of those in GMK and in the end it is just another average G film. After watching this one I hate to admit I'm actually glad Toho has announced after this year's film (no word on it coming to the states) they are going to mothball Godzilla for a few years.
Old 04-25-04, 10:30 PM

I'm trying to think what other movies besides Godzilla vs. Megaguirus and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (both directed by Tezuka) have that plot line in them, and I don't recall any.

Personally, I enjoyed Mechagodzilla much more than Megaguirus. It's a very rewatchable movie, IMO.

As far as mothballing the franchise, I wonder how long that will last (they say 5-10 years). Maybe they'll make some other movies from the genre for awhile (just please no more Mothra). The bigger problem IMO is the very short production schedule for these movies. Godzilla: Final Wars is still in pre-production and it's due to be released in December!
Old 04-25-04, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by CreatureX
I would rank it above all the Heisei movies
I like Godzilla vs. Biollante much more than this one.
Old 07-13-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hi, sorry to bring up old topic...
but i just finished watching Godzilla againts Mechagodzilla (GAM) R1 DVD...
it was great transfer (both picture & sound) but i didn't like the FX that much... i mean, it's great & all that they combine rubber suit, miniatures & CGI... but the battle was "too clean".

i watched one japan Godzilla before where godzilla got the red fire-breath... can't remember the title & godzilla also got injured (ya know, all blood & shiet) & i thought it was cool... more realistic & brutal

so, is GMK (Godzilla Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack) is better in FX & battle scene than GAM (agints Mecga)??

cause i'm thinking of picking GMK too... dunno bout Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (GVM)... according to the reviews, it's 50-50 either you like it or hate it... plus the whole wires thing is a big turn off for me

thanx in advance
Old 07-18-04, 07:33 AM

JordanGlC,

both Godzilla vs Space Godzilla and Godzilla vs Biollante used that plot as well (but they had MALE military officers). Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 (1993) had a similar thread where they introduce the second psychic who has a hard-on against Godzilla and comes up with the idea of using the Baby Godzilla to kill Godzilla, but in the end she gets all teary eyed the the reunion of the two Godzillas.