Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Quick tech reviews of Who's The Man, Hangin With The Homeboys & Love At Large.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen any reviews for these movies anywhere yet, they came out last week, so I thought I'd give a very quick review since some sites had incorrect specs for them.

Who's The Man (Dr. Dre, Ed Lover, Denis Leary directed by Ted Demme) is 1:85:1 anamorphic & full-screen. With 5.1 sound & a trailer as the only extra. The picture was better than expected. Colors were very good & detail was also nice. One office scene with shutters had some flickering on the shutters, but otherwise great. The sound was very clear, but only had occasional rears. since it's a comedy it didn't really matter though. The movie itself holds up the best out of the 3, with cameos by almost every rapper from the time & a Barbershop-type good feeling (but with many more MFs).

Hangin With The Homeboys (John Leguizamo, Doug E. Doug, Mario Joyner) is also 1:85:1 anamorphic & full-screen. Also 5.1 sound & only a trailer (New Line did both). The picture & sound were just about the same as Who's The Man, but some scenes were not quite as sharp. Still very good. The movie itself was not quite as funny as I remembered, but that's probably mostly due to being dated. These homeboys wouldn't last a minute with todays. Slightly more serious than I remembered too.

Love At Large (Tom Berenger, Ann Archer, Neil Young, directed by Alan Rudolph) is also 1:85:1 anamorphic & full-screen (flipper). The sound is Dolby Surround & also only a trailer. The sound was adequate for a talking movie & the picture was also mostly very good with a few slightly grainy shots now & then. As for the movie- I'm not sure why I thought I liked it. I must have mistaken some of my feelings for Rudolph's earlier similar movie Trouble In Mind with Kris Kristofferson & Divine (actually playing a man). When will they release that one? This movie is rather slowly paced with nothing really happening. Not really any twists you couldn't see coming, and most of the end made little sense. What was up with Neil Young's character? Not awful, but not what I was expecting.