Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk review of 'Spinervals Fitness: Ride Strong" - Bad for your little buddy?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVDTalk review of 'Spinervals Fitness: Ride Strong" - Bad for your little buddy?

Old 01-08-04, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Holly E. Ordway's DVD review of Spinervals Fitness 1.0: Ride Strong with Team Clydesdale at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8567 and...

to put it mildly, I've heard that frequent and lengthy cycling can damage your johnson. Okay, maybe that wasn't that mild. But is it true? Something about interrupting the arteries (or veins) leading to/from your unit. And is 60-90 minutes per day, 5 days a week enough to be considered excessive?

Last edited by John Spartan; 01-08-04 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-08-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moving to Mature Forum...
Old 01-08-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My husband also rides (in fact, a lot more than I do), so it's something I've read up on. Basically, if you have a saddle (bike seat) that fits you comfortably, and if you have the correct posture on the bike, you're completely fine. And no, 60-90 minutes 5 times a week is hardly excessive anyway!

If you have a saddle that's not right (and usually the problem is "too cushy" rather than "too hard," actually), and you sit with your weight on the forward part of your pelvis, then yes, you can put pressure on some of the blood vessels around there, causing certain parts to go numb. (This is not unique to men, incidentally, though of course different parts go numb!) That's uncomfortable and possibly not very good for you, although there's never been real evidence that it's bad for you (there's basically just one guy who claims the bad effects).

When you sit on the bike you should have your weight resting on your sit-bones, NOT on the softer forward parts. If you rest on the sit-bones, you alllow proper circulation as well as better posture overall. If you're used to bad posture, try to rotate your hips back until you feel the knobby sit bones taking the weight. They'll feel sore after the first ride or two but then they'll toughen up!

Also, it's a good thing to change position occasionally while you're riding - stand up to pedal every now and then. (That's something you'll definitely do in the Spinervals workouts anyway!)

If you are finding the seat particularly uncomfortable on your "parts", you can try one of the saddles with an opening cut out in the middle - so there's no pressure at all on the middle part of your rear end. They're widely available and generally liked.

Have fun cycling! And keep in mind that there IS conclusive evidence that overall fitness is very good for the libido!
Old 01-08-04, 02:51 PM

Great. Thanks for that info!