Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Can someone please tell me what the heak is the dvd Tenacious D about???

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-06-04, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So much hype but I have no idea what it is as I got it for a gift. I dont know if to open or not.
Old 01-06-04, 08:31 PM

If you're even a casual Tenacious D fan, you'll want to keep it. It has a full live concert on the first disc (which is hilarious and worth the price of the set alone), and the second disc has every possible extra on it. All of the music videos are there, along with some behind the scenes stuff. It also has all the short HBO episodes about the band which are really funny with interviews, concert footage, and life on the road type stuff. There's also a view tv appearances on there (I want to say Conan and MadTV). It's easily a must have for any Tenacious D fan.
Old 01-06-04, 08:54 PM

Im not a fan because I never even heard of this....what is it like?
Old 01-06-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,799 Posts
Tenacious D is the world's greatest band.
Old 01-07-04, 09:26 AM

babka .. Tenacious D is the 2-man band .. Jack Black doing his Rock God impersonation, and Kyle on guitar.

If you saw School Of Rock ... well, if you merged the character that Jack Black played in that movie with some Spinal Tap, then you'll have Tenacious D. So whether you will be interested in the Tenacious D. concert dvd, will depend entirely on whether you like Jack Black.
Old 01-07-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of satire, jokes, parody, mixed with guitar rock of various types. See also the Bonzo Dog Band, Spinal Tap, Loudon Wainwright III, Frank Zappa (especially), for somewhat similar if not identical mixes of humor and folk/rock. Maybe also the approaches of Joe Walsh and Warren Zevon, at times, though they don't/didn't have as overt a novelty approach. Even if you like Jack Black they can be hard to take except in small doses.

In this spirit, the "World's Greatest Band" sobriquet is of course something of a joke, although if you think they are, then who's to say you're wrong ...

Just MHO.
Old 01-07-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The D are the greatest band in the history of the Universe. Ask them, and they'll tell you. Satire aside, Jable and Kage are actually pretty damn good musicians, and their concerts are some of the best I've ever attended. The DVD costs next to nothing compared to others, so you owe it to yourself to watch it and see if you like them. I'd probably start with the HBO episodes to get a feel for what they're doing.

das