Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Blue Hill Avenue'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-04-04, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read David Walker's DVD review of Blue Hill Avenue at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8816 and...I agree with David Walker's take on the movie Blue Hill Avenue. It was a good movie, I hate that it didn't get the opportunity it should have at the movies. Now that its in the video stores theres only one copy, and its in some OLD AND LONELY section of the store. Taking one look at Allen Payne on the cover makes you wanna pick it up, but your in for a real treat when you watch the movie, it may not be the most original story line, but its still good. Allen Payne is a great actor I hope to see him transform to greater things. Thanks
Old 03-17-04, 09:47 AM

Why No Theatrical Release?

I believe that there is an industry-wide conspiracy to deny theatrical access for independent films, particularly those with multi-cultural casts and themes. Blue Hill Ave. reinforces this suspicion in my mind. Of course, I've seen better movies, but I've certainly seen much worse movies in theatrical release and I cannot believe that Blue Hill Ave. could not merit at least a moderate theatrical release on about 500 screens. I would have certainly paid $8 to see this film rather than to see "Soul Plane", "You Got Served", "Baby's Daddy", etc. Perhaps the Justice Dept. needs to step up their investigation into the anti-competitive practices by the modern mega conglomerate-owned film production and distribution entities. This was supposed to have been resolved in U.S. v Patamount back in 1948! Anyway, I digress. I though Craig Ross, Jr. and his cast and crew did an exceptional job with this film, especially on such a low budget!

If films like Cappuccino (an earlier quality film from this same writer/director) and Blue Hill Ave. can't make it to theaters and the previously mentioned vapid works are able to, why should intelligent Black folks pay $8. at the theater? I hope Mr. Ross' investors were able to profit on this one!
Old 05-20-05, 08:09 PM

Blue Hill Avenue - pretty good

Blue Hill Ave is actually in Mattapan/Dorchester MA., a Boston neighborhood (about a mile from my house). It's been a main thoroughfare in Boston since the 1700's. It was settled by Irish immigrants who were followed by Jewish immigrants who stayed until the 1950's. It was a glorious street with big, beautiful Victorian homes. Now, with the exception of Simco's hot dog stand, it's a crime ridden dump and very depressing. Burke High School is actially on Columbia road. It may be one of the most neglected schools in the country as evident by the end result of many students.

It was a little bizarre to see these street hoods driving a car with New Brunswick license plates. I can't think of a place that would be more polar opposite of Blue Hill Ave than anywhere in New Brunswick (or all of Canada for that matter).