Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Punch Drunk Love: good blind buy?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-02-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ttitle says it all. Let's have at it....
Old 01-02-04, 07:09 PM

The best description that I have heard of Punch Drunk Love is to take the stereotypical Adam Sandler dopey comedic character - then extract all comedy from him, and you are left with the central character of PDL. Sandler is perfect for the role, and it is a great movie. But if you are expecting something like any other Sandler movie, you will be disappointed.
Old 01-02-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NOT a good blind buy. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, I loved the movie, but I know a lot of people who didn't like it. Rent it first.
Old 01-02-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,351 Likes on 998 Posts
Agreed, not for everyone, but an incredible movie nonetheless. Almost makes me want to buy the Popeye DVD...
Old 01-03-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

About as far from a good blind buy as you can get. When P.T. Anderson misfires, he does it in very grand style.
Old 01-03-04, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,351 Likes on 998 Posts
A misfire? Surely you jest. I thought I had just watched Magnolia lite afterwards. Certainly not earth-shattering cinema, but very good for what it was.
Old 01-03-04, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely a rental. A friend of mine works at a certain corporate monopoly video store, and has had more returns on PDL than any other in recent memory...some people really hated this movie, to put it mildly. That said, I thought it was very well done, and contains one of the few genuinely funny performances Adam Sandler has ever pulled off (though it's a much different kind of "funny", as some people here have mentioned already).

Funny thing is...I've lent this movie to both by girlfriend and my sister on seperate occasions, and they both gave me a similar response: they were almost about to turn it off about 15 minutes in, but kept watching and ended up enjoying it. Maybe that might be your experience too.
Old 01-03-04, 04:05 AM

Well saw it, and it definitely is a rental. Didn't NOT like it, but came out of it confused and just weired out on the whole thing. At some moments I liked it, and at others I was totally uninterested. Oh well, it's goin' to eBay...
Old 01-04-04, 09:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I loved all of PTA's films, yet PDL was probably the worst movie I have ever seen.

Yet I still own it for some odd, sickening reason. Never before has a movie annoyed me to the extremes as PDL has.

But people love it so I'd say its a rental.
Old 01-05-04, 01:25 AM

I thought the movie was both funny and weird. I recommend it!

I thought the writing was really well done as was the acting by Sandler. I enjoyed Punch-Drunk as much as Hard Eight. I didn't care for Boogie Nights enough to keep that. If you have liked any other of P.T. Anderson's films I'd say give this a rent at least.
Old 01-05-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a great movie, but it's definitely an acquired taste. Audiences just didn't warm up to this film, but that's PT Anderson. He makes movies that critics love and audiences ponder over. If you are a fan of PT Anderson, definitely pick this up. While it's not his best (that would be Magnolia), it's far far far from bad. So far PT Anderson is batting a 1000 in my book. I simply can't wait til whatever he does next.
Old 01-05-04, 02:44 PM

I love this film (not a PTA fan in general, but always up for the interesting/strange film)

That said, I know many people who tried it and hated it. I think this is really one of those polarizing films - true love or deep hate.

I would not call it a good blind buy.
Old 01-05-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts
No.
Old 01-06-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
No. It is a rental. Saw it with my wife and we kept looking at each other as if to say WTF? We didn't care for it. I couldn't get into it. Quirky and different but not as great as people say.
Old 01-06-04, 02:18 PM
Banned

I thought it was a horrible movie. Slow, hardly any dialouge, and very very odd. For Adam Sandler it was a nice try to get out of the comedy sceen and try a differant movie, but it just doesn't work. It was like Jim Carey doing the Truman Show. Sandler should stick to comedies.
Old 01-06-04, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by milo bloom
A misfire? Surely you jest. I thought I had just watched Magnolia lite afterwards. Certainly not earth-shattering cinema, but very good for what it was.
Right on cue. Exactly what I was thinking right after I watched PDL. It's weird in that Magnolia kind of way. I like it a lot, but double dipping on the superbit version would be over kill.

If you liked Magnolia, buy it. If not, rent it.
Old 01-11-04, 03:29 PM

it was awful - couldn't get through it.
Old 01-11-04, 10:09 PM

Very interesting. I loved the sudden color bursts and light effects -- as well as the hushed but very important background noises and muttered voices -- all of which Anderson calls on to place the viewer in a perceptual state similar to the one being experienced by Sandler's protagonist. We're on the fringes of reality here, and it's a bit unsettling.

Still, it's not for everyone. I bought it blind, but I also bought it used off eBay for, like, $6.00 w/ shipping. Up to you. I'm happy with the purchase myself.
Old 01-12-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
NOT a good blind buy. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, I loved the movie, but I know a lot of people who didn't like it. Rent it first.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-12-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rent maybe, buy now way.
Old 01-12-04, 10:12 PM

I bought it blind (wanted to see Sandler in a different kind of movie) and loved it, but I also knew exactly what to expect from it (and I actually couldn't stand Boogie Nights or Magnolia). My friend borrowed it not knowing what to expect (I tried to tell him), and called me up yelling at me for letting him watch what he and his wife thought to be a terrible movie. I agree with those who have said do not buy it blind (I got lucky), but it is truly a great movie.
Old 01-13-04, 12:43 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I liked this movie so much that I watched it once by myself and then again the next night with my girlfriend. She didn't care for it all that much, but she likes more mainstream stuff. She didn't hate it, however, and thought that it was passable. I thought the transfer was top-notch and the audio was great with the drums banging along throughout the scenes. Philip Hoffman does a great job as does Sandler as does Guzman. Overall, a worthwhile film experience.

(I am not a Sandler fan, but liked him in "The Wedding Singer". I am a PT Anderson fan, however.)

As far as a blind buy...what are some of your favorite films? That might help us to help you.

Last edited by Franchot; 01-13-04 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-15-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought PTA succeeded in getting to the primal emotions at play in this film. This film is not cerebral, it's all about feelings that motivate the characters towards action.