Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Rolling Stones: Four Flicks'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read DVD Savant's DVD review of Rolling Stones: Four Flicks at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8763 and...

am stunned that they keep letting him write reviews. I shouldn't expect much from the guy who gave the recent Convoy disc a good video rating & said it was anamorphic. But is it too much to ask that he let you know if the dvd is widescreen or full-frame. Since it's only at Best Buy there is no info on it anywhere. I looked at it in the store & it only tells you the audio. No employee knew if it was WS. The website gives you no technical specs. I had a thread asking if anyone knew & the only answer was that they thought some of the 4 discs were widescreen & some were full but no idea about 16x9. Finally a site has a review & he completely leaves out this huge part of it. Oh well, since he never fixed the Convoy review (even after the company went under because of rights violations), I guess we'll never know.
Old 12-19-03, 07:04 PM
The DVD Savant

Disgusting, reprehensible DVD Savant

Dear El Kabong ...

You're right, I shouldn't be allowed to review discs. It's shameful.

You must be looking at the DVDTalk version of the review, which omits the opening data-stat portion of my reviews. I recommend that if you want to read my reviews, you do it at the original site (also within DVD Talk), where I'm more prone to make revisions, correct mistakes (yes, I make plenty). All the info you're looking for is there. Sometimes I discuss it redundantly in the body of the review, and sometimes not.

Here are the review locations for the reviews you mention.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s1041roll.html

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s1055dog.html

The copy I have of CONVOY is anamorphic, just not very good looking.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s946convoy.html

Sorry you were upset and want me scourged from the web. I think you're really impolite, but I understand your initial confusion over the incomplete reviews in the DVD Talk files ... it's a problem I don't have a solution for. It's just too much work to correct every detail in both places, and the text data I include at the top of my original articles doesn't fit in well with the DVDTalk format. Each DVDTalk review from me has a link at the bottom to the 'real DVD Savant' page, if that makes things any easier.

I'd be happy to discuss it with you, write me any time. Especially if you're a little more civil. Thanks!

[email protected]

'DVD not-so-Savant'

Last edited by DVD Savant; 12-19-03 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-20-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What an intelligent and helpful response, DVD Savant.

I was hoping someone would finally post a real review of this set. Thanks.
I'll probably pick it up with the next coupon from BestBuy.

Last edited by bdots48; 12-20-03 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-22-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry I blamed you for omitting the technical specs, when it was the site. I didn't know they had 2 different reviews for titles. Why not just make one page with all the info? If your Convoy is the R1 Pacific Family version released a few months ago, it definitely is not anamorphic. Here's a link where it was discussed.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=312176

It will look anamorphic if you only watch it on a 16x9 tv. But on a 4x3 set the 2:35:1 image is smushed together & looks about 1:85:1. It looks the same as it would if you had your player set to 16x9 on a 4x3 tv, except there's no way to fix it & make it look normal on a 4x3 set. So it looks like they copied an anamorphic/compressed version, but never actually gave it anamorphic encoding.
Old 12-22-03, 03:09 PM
The DVD Savant

Aha! We're both right!

I get it ... it IS 16:9, but won't translate to a 4:3 set ... something I wouldn't have checked.

Thanks and Merry Christmas, Kabong! Glenn Erickson
Old 12-22-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only reason I checked it on another set myself, was I couldn't believe a company that would release a dvd with a cover like that would make it anamorphic. Too bad they disappeared before putting out Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park though. How could they mess up a tv-movie, but we'll never know.
Old 12-24-03, 09:18 AM

Rolling Stones 4 Flicks DVD SUX!

I am a ardent Stones fan, but this DVD is a total waste. After playing it I threw it in the trash. I can not believe that they wasted electricity and plastic to produce this in fullscreen. Only disc 3 is widescreen. Why would anyone try to do a project like this and waste it in fullscreen. DON'T BUY IT!. The Bridges of Babylon DVD performance/show is far superior to these, altho also in FS. I was hoping to get this for my collection in widescreen. There is NO mention on the box anywhere about the play format. I will never buy another Stones disk.
Old 12-24-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Rolling Stones 4 Flicks DVD SUX!

Originally posted by tdzee
I am a ardent Stones fan,

I will never buy another Stones disk.
I call bullshit on this one.
Old 12-28-03, 05:29 PM
Banned

I can't get no... satisfication....