Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Last Temptation Of Christ a good blind buy?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-05-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm thinking about getting the Criterion Collection The Last Temptation Of Christ as a blind buy (trying to slip in a last . . . 4th . . . order at DDD before the coupon expires ). I've heard good things about it, but I'm just not sure. What do you giys think?

In a bit of a hurry . . . coupon expires at midnight!
Old 12-05-03, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. Better on the second or third viewing (once you're over the New Yorkish accents eminating from the Levant).
Old 12-05-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, one of the greatest films of the eighties!! And the DVD is excellent.
Old 12-05-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

technically to be politically correct maybe it should have it's title changed to the last temptation of the christ. it was a good movie but nothing great imho.
Old 12-05-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it's a good blind buy at all. It has its fair share of supporters and its critics, which makes it an ideal rental, if you can find it to rent. (Maybe libraries or online.)
Old 12-05-03, 11:17 PM
Banned

its a wonderful film...get it!
Old 12-05-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by LBPound
I don't think it's a good blind buy at all. It has its fair share of supporters and its critics, which makes it an ideal rental, if you can find it to rent. (Maybe libraries or online.)
Yeah, I think it's a terrible, sometimes laughable, very badly miscast adaptation of a great book. But that's just me.
Old 12-05-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

knowing you....I'm sure you'll love it.

if you do love it...you might end up toast in hell.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 12-05-03 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-05-03, 11:33 PM

This one is really a matter of taste. Those who are devoutly religious probably won't like it. I thought it was brilliant and THE best film of the 1980's.
Old 12-05-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was not terribly impressed with the movie.
Old 12-06-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the "Ayes" have it . . . it went in with DDD coupon order #4.

More than anything, I'm just flattered to know that gut has gotten to know me so well.
Originally posted by gutwrencher
knowing you....I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 12-06-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought it back in March...and still haven't watched it. Oh well, not like that's the only DVD I haven't watched...
Old 12-06-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brak55
This one is really a matter of taste. Those who are devoutly religious probably won't like it. I thought it was brilliant and THE best film of the 1980's.
I diagree! I think those who have shaky faith will hate it but those of us who are secure in our faith and don't need to worry that watching a mere film will possible take away our faith can watch (an enjoy it) with complete satification. That's what's so funny about these supposed religious conservatives who like to claim they are so religious yet let someone say soming against or different then their beliefs and they go running scared ready to crucify those with differing ideas! Those people are in my opinion religious by convenience! They have such a thinly veiled faith that they are scared to death to hear anything against their religion because it may take away their faith! These are the idiots who destroyed the theatrical release of this film and are gearing up to do the same for the upcoming MEl Gibson film Passion!
Old 12-06-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think mel gibsons the passion of the christ will make temptation seem pale in comparison.
Old 12-06-03, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 446 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by Frank S
I diagree! I think those who have shaky faith will hate it but those of us who are secure in our faith and don't need to worry that watching a mere film will possible take away our faith can watch (an enjoy it) with complete satification. That's what's so funny about these supposed religious conservatives who like to claim they are so religious yet let someone say soming against or different then their beliefs and they go running scared ready to crucify those with differing ideas! Those people are in my opinion religious by convenience! They have such a thinly veiled faith that they are scared to death to hear anything against their religion because it may take away their faith! These are the idiots who destroyed the theatrical release of this film and are gearing up to do the same for the upcoming MEl Gibson film Passion!
While I agree the 'outrage' over Last Temptation and Passion is silly, I don't think it's from people with shaky faith. I'd say it's the opposite, their faith is so strong that they are personaly offended if someone creates an image contrary to their beliefs. Like let's say your father was a brilliant scientist, and then someone made a movie that included a scene where he got drunk and beat up a midget in a nudie bar. You'd probebly be pretty upset, not because you were weak in your admiration for your father, but because someone created a portrait of him that was a 'untrue' or you believed to be a untrue.
Old 12-06-03, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the 5.1 sound is excellent on this one as well.

And the Peter Gabriel soundrack to this is one of my favorites, I play the CD a lot.
(And I'm not that into Peter Gabriel or soundtracks, it's just really really good.)
Old 12-06-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
While I agree the 'outrage' over Last Temptation and Passion is silly, I don't think it's from people with shaky faith. I'd say it's the opposite, their faith is so strong that they are personaly offended if someone creates an image contrary to their beliefs. Like let's say your father was a brilliant scientist, and then someone made a movie that included a scene where he got drunk and beat up a midget in a nudie bar. You'd probebly be pretty upset, not because you were weak in your admiration for your father, but because someone created a portrait of him that was a 'untrue' or you believed to be a untrue.
Gotta back up Frank's point here. While I do agree that there are people with strong faiths who get upset about perceived disrespect of beliefs, there are a significant number who, while seeming to be sure of their faith on the surface, either don't know enough about what they really believe (i.e., just "believe" what they are told) or depend on their faith so much that the thought of questioning it (and, therefore, possibly finding faults with it) is terrifying. In both cases, the natural response is to be defense of their faith and "lash out" at any threat to it. It is not so much a "shaky" faith as it is a faith that has not been explored enough to have a solid foundational understanding of it. I not only go to church with a number of people that fall into these catagories, I used to date one too. She almost refused to even entertain or discuss any ideas that I had that differed from hers. It was actually pretty sad.

The ones who are "strong" in their faith and that are okay with challenging ideas (or at least, this is what I believe Frank is refering to), are ones who have explored their faiths enough that they don't feel threatened when faced with ideas that are different from theirs. They can explore, consider, and discuss them freely, because they are so sure in what they believe.

Frank . . . please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is what you were saying . . .
Old 12-06-03, 09:53 AM

I really liked it. The New York accents made me think of The New Testament meets Goodfellas:

" Ok, which one of you's is without sin , eh ? You throw the first stone you . "
Old 12-06-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it a few months ago. I didn't like it very much, then again I'm not religious at all, so take that as you will. I would recommend a rental or something before hand. But if you do decide to buy it, and you don't like it, you can always sell it on ebay.
Old 12-06-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great Christmas film!
Old 12-06-03, 12:08 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
I would rent it. The movie is a dull, fairly straightforward retelling of bible stories. All the controversial stuff is in the last 30 minutes or so.

What's interesting is that the protestors made a huge deal that:
Spoiler:
Jesus imagines what it would be like if he got married
But nobody said a word about:
Spoiler:
Judas is portrayed as a good guy

Also, the disc has an excellent documentary on the crucifixion, well worth watching in and of itself.
Old 12-06-03, 12:12 PM
Banned

No, this is not a good blind buy. Rent it first. It is interesting in an MST3K sort of way, but in reality is a piece of crap.
Old 12-06-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have the DVD yet, but I saw the movie in theater twice when it first came out. I really loved it. For a movie close to three hours, it held my attention. Willem Dafoe is excellent and the direction is fantastic.
Old 12-06-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't keep a straight face watching David Bowie as Pilate. The life of Brian has ruined biblical movies forever.
Old 12-06-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn
Gotta back up Frank's point here. While I do agree that there are people with strong faiths who get upset about perceived disrespect of beliefs, there are a significant number who, while seeming to be sure of their faith on the surface, either don't know enough about what they really believe (i.e., just "believe" what they are told) or depend on their faith so much that the thought of questioning it (and, therefore, possibly finding faults with it) is terrifying. In both cases, the natural response is to be defense of their faith and "lash out" at any threat to it. It is not so much a "shaky" faith as it is a faith that has not been explored enough to have a solid foundational understanding of it. I not only go to church with a number of people that fall into these catagories, I used to date one too. She almost refused to even entertain or discuss any ideas that I had that differed from hers. It was actually pretty sad.

The ones who are "strong" in their faith and that are okay with challenging ideas (or at least, this is what I believe Frank is refering to), are ones who have explored their faiths enough that they don't feel threatened when faced with ideas that are different from theirs. They can explore, consider, and discuss them freely, because they are so sure in what they believe.

Frank . . . please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is what you were saying . . .
I don't think the strength of one's faith has anything to do with it. The backlash against TLTOC was primarily a convenient opportunity for those in the religious hierarchy to flex their muscle. It was a way to show how much clout they had. Much of the protesting occurred before the film was even shown. Were there some who protested the film out of genuine heartfelt conviction? Absolutely. But the majority did it for effect.

I believe that Crocker Jarmen is on the mark. When you know that there are people who don't know the truth, it can be a bit frustrating when the untruth is paraded in front of them.

It's been a long time since I've seen the film, and the only real criticism I have with it, is the portrayal of Jesus as a tormented, possibly mental disturbed person. (if I am remembering the early part of the film correctly) The Bible says that Jesus was tempted in all way as we are, and I feel that TLTOC did a great job of portraying that. As a Christian, watching a visual interpretation of what Jesus might have possibly gone through, gave me an even greater appreciation for His sacrifice.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.