Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Finding Nemo - good blind buy / repeat value?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-03-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never saw it but heard many praises. Buying tomorrow, wondering if it's a good blind buy, but mainly, will it have good repeat value?

I love movies like Fight Club, Pulp Fiction and others for their repeat value, meaning I can watch them a million times. I know they're much different films than Nemo, but after hearing and seeing how successful it was, I'm inclined to buy it.

How does it rank with the Toy Story's and Monster Inc.? I enjoyed both but would probably never buy those.
Old 11-03-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Buy it with your eyes wide open.

IMO this is better than Monsters and on par with Toy Story. There are deals to be had just check out the DVD Bargains forum.

But, then again, if you enjoyed Toy Story but wouldn't buy it, perhaps you might want to stay away..

Last edited by Rogue588; 11-04-03 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-04-03, 12:10 AM

I'm figuring I can easily sell it for $15 on eBay which is what I'm gonna pay for it. Cheaper than a rental, so why not?
Old 11-04-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the movie really kiddie and cheesy or what? I read in a review that they have characters like some fish who is a "surfer dude". Sounds a little cliche, but the animation and story seem to be pretty decent. I'm thinking I'll rent it and then decide.
Old 11-04-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While Finding Nemo is probably the worst of the Pixar movies so far, it is still a very good movie.
Old 11-04-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
actually i think the adults got a bigger kick out of this movie then the kids did.
Old 11-04-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts
My wife and I are in are late 20's and we enjoyed it a lot. And the surfer dude character is very funny. He's not the usual Disney token "funny guy", he's only in one part and it's an important part.
Old 11-04-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't care for it all that much. The emotional context in Nemo didn't really apply to anything in my life so I found myself not caring about the characters, whereas TS 1&2, MI, etc all put lumps in my throat at various places. And there didn't seem to be all that many jokes either.

I may still buy it because I've got money to burn, but it probably won't ever hit the player unless a guest asks to see it.

I can't see a single reason for you (PJsig08) to buy Nemo at all. In fact, I'd strongly recommend against it.
Old 11-04-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do the characters burst into song in this one?
Old 11-04-03, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by matome
Do the characters burst into song in this one?
I'd like to know this as well.
Old 11-04-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts
Only one Pixar movie has characters bursting into song, and thats Toy Story 2, and in that one I wouldn't have it any either way.

Oops, I just remembered there is a singing character, but you'll believe it in the context of his scene.

Not to worry, it's not the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.
Old 11-04-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. Toy Stoy 1 and 2 (a tie for 1st place, and if they make TS3, it will also tie for 1st place)
2. Monster Inc
3. Nemo (3rd place is does not make this a bad move, fun (and funny) to watch
4. ...More to come
Old 11-04-03, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i got the dvd today and i enjoyed the film, no were near the level of the rest but good film none the less, however i was dissapointed with the "virtural aquaraum" feature, nothing at all like i was expecting, other then that damn good dvd
Old 11-04-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by milo bloom

Oops, I just remembered there is a singing character, but you'll believe it in the context of his scene.

Not to worry, it's not the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.
Good, that's the one stumbling block I won't have to worry about. I hate the musical stuff.
Old 11-04-03, 10:32 PM

I enjoyed Nemo more than Monsters, Inc., and I would run out and buy the Nemo DVD right now...but sea monkeys stole my money.
Old 11-05-03, 02:10 AM

Did the blind buy thing and just finished watching it....

First off, for me this movie never stood a chance because of the immense hype I had heard from friends and family. It received so much praise, I was expecting Jesus himself to step off the screen and give me a giant noogie for being such a good boy. But of course the movie isn't the end-all of all movies, so I was naturally a little let down. But not by much.

I'd rank it slightly underneath the Toy Story films in terms of humor, and WAY above anything else Pixar has done in terms of animation.

The movie looks stunning. It's frightening how well they were able to mimic underwater life. In fact they had to tone it down a lot to make is LESS realistic, so as to remind the viewer that they were indeed watching an animated film, and not real life.

The characters are wonderful, which surprised me because from the trailers I thought I'd hate the combo of Ellen DeGeneres and Albert Brooks, but I felt they pulled it off nicely. And for those of you worried the surfer dude turtles may be stupid, fear not because they were my favorite characters in the movie. They weren’t at all cheesy. In fact they were VERY funny because they seemed to fit their persona so well.

The emotional aspect of the movie was the clincher for me. Take that away and the movie would be mediocre at best. I think those who watch it and honestly can't make a connection in some small way need a big hug from their momma or something.

If you liked the previous Pixar movies then Finding Nemo is a no-brainer blind buy. It's not movie-of-the-year caliber, but it's very fun and hugely entertaining. I personally think the eye-candy alone is worth the buy myself.

Blah, blah, blah, this is starting to sound like one of my reviews so I'll shut my pie hole now.

Last edited by David Blair; 11-05-03 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-06-03, 01:35 PM

It seems you can't review this movie without saying that it's just not as good as the others. You also can't see it without really liking it. It's definitely a keeper for me, and I got rid of about 2/3 to 3/4 of the DVDs I bought last year.

The story isn't as original as Monster, Inc or Toy Story. Man smothers son, man loses son, man finds son. Classic plot line which doesn't place it up with the inventiveness of the other two. The movie isn't one to be loved as a whole, it is not greater than the sum of its parts. Who cares? The parts are what makes the movie - it's almost a series of vignettes/gags (Jason & the argonauts) which are strung together to form the plot. Each section has a fabulous quality that makes you keep watching.

Also, Ellen DeGeneres as Dori makes the film move where it might otherwise falter. She is the bridge holding the thing together, and she really shows off her comic ability (helped tremedously by the animation). There is more in this for the adult crowd than previous Pixar releases, also.

Make sure you watch the extras (though the tour is just lousy - I've never seen such an uncomfortable group of people on camera). J-M Cousteau's short is nice - once again thanks to Dori - and humorous, but gets the "save the oceans/earth" message across in a non-confrontational way.

One final tidbit - Kudos to the DVD production team. This is the first feature in which the entire disc is produced in one format. The widescreen edition has everything on it in anamorphic encoding - even the 4:3 stuff. On the standard disc, everything in non-anamorphic. Switching TV settings is annoying, IMHO, and thei is the first disc to "get it right". My only disappointment is that the special features are spread over two discs, which means two precious slots taken up in my jukebox. This one is good enough to warrant it, though.