Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

From Hell <-- good blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always loved Depps movies, and the atmosphere and storyline seem very interesting for "From Hell." I also loved Dead Presidents, which is directed by the Hughes brothers. Is this movie any good? I already read that the audio (DTS) and transfer are top notch. I'm just wondering if the film itself is entertaining.

Is it also true that the 2 disc limited edition isn't around anymore? If I do get this movie, I'd probably want the 2 disc one for the special features.

Last edited by NaturalMystic79; 10-22-03 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The 2 disc is out of print but you might be able to find it in stores like Circuit City still. As for the movie... i enjoyed it quite a bit, although i know there are many who didn't. I think a comparable movie may be Sleepy Hollow... Depp plays a very similar character.
Old 10-22-03, 02:00 PM
SeeNo Member

Its a good movie and if you like Depp you'll love this. The 2-disc might be hard to find though.
Old 10-22-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by StevenSpielberg
Its a good movie and if you like Depp you'll love this. The 2-disc might be hard to find though.
This is not entirely true... I'm a big Depp fan and this film is just so-so.

Read the source material instead or rent it first.
Old 10-22-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Definitely NOT a good blind-buy. Rent it first. It's certainly not for everyone. I thought it was just "fair".
Old 10-22-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
This is not entirely true... I'm a big Depp fan and this film is just so-so.
Same here. I love Johnny and that's why I bought it and also liked directors others movies, but this one was just boring to me. It's not terrible, just so, so IMO. I sold my copy a while back.
Old 10-22-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I think I'll pass on this movie. Not only has it gotten "so so" reviews, it's also hard to find. The 2 disc limited edition is nowhere to be found in my area, and I"d probably have to opt from ordering from Amazon or eBay. Maybe I'll rent it sometime.

A question for you guys though, did you all like "Dead Presidents"? I know it's a totally different movie than From Hell, but it has the same directors.
Old 10-22-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
A question for you guys though, did you all like "Dead Presidents"? I know it's a totally different movie than From Hell, but it has the same directors.
I didn't love Dead Presidents but I did like it... It was more enjoyable than From Hell...

On my so-so opinion of From Hell... I've always been interested in "Ripperology" and Alan Moore's source material is a great graphic novel, I had high hopes for From Hell... Just didn't work well for this viewer. Maybe this film would work better for those who are not familiar with Moore's work or have but a passing interest in Jack The Ripper...
Old 10-22-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I liked the movie, but it was a rental for me. I believe that 2-disc is coming back though, so that would be good to get if it was cheap.
Old 10-22-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the vote on reading the graphic novel, it is very good. I enjoyed the film, it had some pretty weird visuals. My primary compliant is the very wooden Heather Graham. There are some pretty good supplements too. Overall, I'm happy to have it as part of my collection.

I was mostly so-so on Dead Presidents except for the scene of the heist itself. That scene has some of the most dynamic cinematography I've seen.
Old 10-22-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

impressions of "From Hell" 2 disc LD

I'll have to recant my previous post about not blind buying this DVD, because I just did! Being a little upset that I couldn't find Texas Chainsaw Massacre SE anywhere in town, I had to satisfy my DVD appetite I went to Circuit City (thanks Fumanstan!), and low and behold I found a few copies of the 2 disc limited edition version of "From Hell." I saw the price $22.99, and although pricey I went ahead and bought it. I already knew it had a top notch transfer and DTS sound, on top of the plethora of extras on both discs, so the price didn't seem as intimidating.

I selected DTS from the setup menu, started the movie, turned up the volume, and turned off the lights. Needless to say, I enjoyed the movie, overall. It was NOT anything epic or 5 out of 5 stars, but enjoyable nonetheless. The sound, action sequences and cinematography were excellent. The acting was also very good. As always, I enjoyed Johney Depp's performances. I was a bit leary that Heather Graham would ruin it for me, but she did an adequate job as one of the prostitutes. I also loved the supporting role from the guy who played Bilboa Baggins in LOTR: FOTR.

The film itself was entertaining and had a satisfactory amount of gore, but felt a tad too predictable and cliched. It also seemed to take a few extra turns in the middle of the film which made it seem to drag just a little bit. But, toward the end of the movie things really pick up.

I also checked out the extras, and am learning some interesting stuff on speculation as to who the real Jack the Ripper was. Seems that even historians aren't for what were the exact motivations and who the actual killer was. This gave the actual film more merit in that the Hughes brothers took their own unique direction in interpretating who and what took place.

I'm still checking out the rest of the extras on the 2nd disc, and am pretty satisfied with the purchase so far. I'm sure this is NOT going to be one of the DVDs on my shelf that will only get one viewing, and collect dust.

Last edited by NaturalMystic79; 10-22-03 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-23-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big Depp fan - his presence is usually enough to get me to see a movie I might not otherwise see. However, I thought From Hell was just a really bad movie. I didn't enjoy it at all. It was just incredibly boring and run of the mill.
Old 10-23-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
Big disappointment for me too and I look forward to any Jack the Ripper or Johnny Depp movie. This one fell flat for me and the complete disregard for Alan Moore's material was a big mistake.

I think MURDER BY DECREE, the old Holmes/Ripper movie with Christopher Plummer had a similar take on Ripper and I found it much more entertaining than FROM HELL.
Old 10-24-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was kinda weak IMO. I was really expecting a lot more, especially with the names involved with this production.