Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'El Mariachi (Special Edition)'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-09-03, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jason Bovberg's DVD review of El Mariachi (Special Edition) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7168 and...

What the heck does it take to get a DVD release of El Mariachi with an english dubbed soundtrack available? Come on, Robert! Every movie I own comes with a spanish language track - so why, when we get a native spanish filme, is there not an english track to choose from.

Subtitles are fine, but you cannot enjoy the film to its fullest if you need to stare at the bottome of the screen to read.

I guess no El Mariachi purchase for me till thats fixed.
Old 10-10-03, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Talk review of 'El Mariachi (Special Edition)'

Originally posted by GermanMan
I read Jason Bovberg's DVD review of El Mariachi (Special Edition) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7168 and...
Subtitles are fine, but you cannot enjoy the film to its fullest if you need to stare at the bottome of the screen to read.

I guess no El Mariachi purchase for me till thats fixed.
Ahhh. I feel the need to add my 2 cents to this. I will never, never (did I mention never already) a dubbed movie. A movie - once again, this is my opinion - should always be enjoyed with the original soundtrack. If you do not understand the language, switch on a subtitle-track, but not a dubbed audio track. I find that you lose too much of the ambiance of the movie when you watch dubbed movies.

I'm ok. I feel much better now. Please do not see this as a personal attack GermanMan, as that was definately not my intention for this post; everybody has the right to his/her own way of watching movies.

LolaRennt.

Last edited by LolaRennt; 10-10-03 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-10-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also, can they put the original spanish video master on the dvd also? When looking at footage from that master in the 10 min film school, the print looked 100 times better then the dvd print! (also, the sundance channel also shows the full screen spanish master print as well)
Old 10-10-03, 03:18 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gotta agree with the first statement. Probably because I first saw 'El Mariachi' way-back-when on a VHS preview screener before it released to video. Seeing as the 2 sequels were filmed in English it just makes sense to me to have the original in English as well. I haven't bought it yet because of this. I'm hoping that when the third is released on dvd and the inevitable 'Trilogy Boxset' comes out that we will finally have the option of an English dub of El Mariachi...it doesn't have to be 5.1 even 2.0 would be fine, just English for those of us that prefer to read books, not movies.