Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any reviews: Battlestar Galactica-Complete Epic DVD Set

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this offered from DDD for $86.40. Didn't the show run for two seasons? 1978 - 1979? Are ALL episodes included in this set? I know it says "Complete Epic" but want to make sure and to know how the video/audio/extras are.

Anyone?
Old 10-02-03, 04:29 AM

The second season was "Galactica 1980", which only ran for 10 episodes, with only Lorne Greene (Adama) and Herbert Jefferson, Jr. (Boomer) returning from the original cast. Trust me, you DON'T want to see these...the only good episode was the final one, "The Return of Starbuck", in which Dirk Benedict came back for a show.

"Battlestar Galatctica" premiered in the Fall of 1978 and ran through Spring of 1979, with 24 Episodes. "Galactica 1980" didn't premiere until January of 1980, and only ran 10 episodes, leaving the air in May of 1980.
Old 10-02-03, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, there were only 24 episodes of this show? For some reason, I thought there were many more.

Old 10-02-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, just one brief, fun season.

I personally am not going to order this one online. I'm concerned about how 'sturdy' that Cylon Head box is going to be. I'd rather pick this up at Best Buy live on the release day, so I can inspect the packaging.

I haven't seen any reviews yet (unfortunately), but some of the cut scenes are here:

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/home/cut.php
Old 10-02-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I barely remember Galactica because I was only about 4 or 5 years old, but one episode really stuck out in my mind: I think it was Dirk Benedict who got stranded on some barren planet with a Cylon, and they were forced to become friends (now that I think of it, Enemy Mine stole the idea). Does anyone know the title of this episode, and know for sure if it will be on the set?
Old 10-02-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dullboy
I barely remember Galactica because I was only about 4 or 5 years old, but one episode really stuck out in my mind: I think it was Dirk Benedict who got stranded on some barren planet with a Cylon, and they were forced to become friends (now that I think of it, Enemy Mine stole the idea). Does anyone know the title of this episode, and know for sure if it will be on the set?
It won't be.

That's the "Return of Starbuck" episode of the Galactica 1980 spinoff that Spooky refers to. There's a review/synopsis here:

http://www.blast.net/hart/Wharmby.htm#BG

It was released individually on VHS at one point, but is out-of-print now.

EDIT: By the way, ENEMY MINE was based on a Barry Longyear short story that was published over a year before this episode aired. If anything, Galactica took the idea from EM, not the other way around. (In fairness, the plot device of two enemies being forced to work together for mutual survival is not unique to these stories... see Hell in the Pacific, The Defiant Ones, etc.)

Last edited by bboisvert; 10-02-03 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
EDIT: By the way, ENEMY MINE was based on a Barry Longyear short story that was published over a year before this episode aired. If anything, Galactica took the idea from EM, not the other way around. (In fairness, the plot device of two enemies being forced to work together for mutual survival is not unique to these stories... see Hell in the Pacific, The Defiant Ones, etc.)
Noted. Thanks. But that sucks that this episode was a part of the second series. I really liked it, and was looking forward to seeing it on the boxset. Damn!
Old 10-21-03, 08:57 PM

Are there any reviews of the Galactica set yet?
Old 10-22-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've gotten about halfway through the first disk and have a few observations.

Picture: For a 'digitially remastered' show it still has quite a few white specks on the picture. Should've run it through the processor one more time.
Image clarity tends to vary as well, with some shots being rather murky, with lots of white smudges around the edges of the frame. While others, usually face shots, are crystal clear.
One amusing thing I noticed is that with the remaster it's easier to spot glitches in the special effects. See-through spacecraft and the ocassional model stand that hasn't been completely masked out. But hey, things like that just add to the charm of the show. Besides, it was a brand new art form at the time.

Sound: considerably better than the TV and VHS versions. The opening theme no longer has that awful 'tinny' sound. Bass is nice too. I can't comment on the 5.1 because I don't have a surround system. This may be why a couple of background sound effects were missing.

Extras: A lengthy collection of deleted scenes, including two ongoing plot threads that were removed entirely from the script. A couple of bloopers, alternate takes, and even multiple angles of the same shot (we get to see Baltar loose his head about six times). are thrown into the package as well. There are also short , though not particularly insightful interviews with the Producer and music composer.

Packaging: Sheesh, talk about overkill! The box is H-U-G-E! The sort of thing you'd expect computer software to come in. Inside the chrome cardboard and plastic box is a large format, if somewhat thin booklet with episode descriptions and lots of stills. Underneath is a thick gatefold box to hold the six disks. Unlike the packaging that shows single sided disks, the series is on flippers. The box also doesn't have any sort of label on the spine to make it easier to put on your shelf. The spine is just a plain starfield. Personally I wish Universal had saved their money and given us a simple slipcover package rather than this thing. Like I need anymore clutter in my room.

Overall I give it two thumbs up. It's definately all that any fan could hope for. (including me)

So how's that for a review?

Last edited by Panda Phil; 10-27-03 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-23-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i watched the first disc twice. once for regular viewing and the 2nd time with the commentaries by Hatch, Benedict and the guy that played boomer.

Great story, hokey overacting at times by the little kid and lorne green, but overall pretty good.
one thing in the commentaries is that benedict and hatch wondered if some scenes are brand new and added as they have no recollection of seeing it in the original released years ago. oh and in the commentaries, hatch comes off with a pompous egomaniac as if HE IS what made galactica what it is. "We're big in France. since it came out so close to starwars over there..." (yeah, right, like jerry lewis).

anyways very nostalgic for me as i grew up watching this on tv. the box is bulky yet cool-looking, but an amazing waste of space (lots of foam packing inside to hold the dvd case.)

i'm happy with my purchase.
Old 10-23-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by peon73

oh and in the commentaries, hatch comes off with a pompous egomaniac as if HE IS what made galactica what it is. "We're big in France. since it came out so close to starwars over there..." (yeah, right, like jerry lewis).
Well, Hatch has been a big cheerleader for the show for a lot of years. Lots of convention appearances, several novels, comic books, a proposal and scripts for a new series, complete with demo trailer. So I kinda forgive him if he cops a bit of an attitude about it.
Old 10-26-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back again.

I finally found a review.

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/ubb/F...ML/000315.html

Seems a shame that noones reviewing this set. I guess all the big-shot DVD reviews are scared off by the price-tag and the percieved limited appeal.
Old 10-26-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm waiting for the Non-Protruding Head edition.

Just where the hek am I supposed to keep this thing?
Old 10-26-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one possible reason for the scant reviews is Universal screener policies.
reviewers would actually have to buy a very expensive set before they could review it.

after watching side 2 of the first disc, i would agree with the comments so far.
if you are a fan of the series, its more than you should have hoped for.
the deleted scenes on the second and third ep are quite numerous and at least one bloober/joke take involving the daggit is pretty funny.

the shows don't look as vivid and vibrant as the Hulk series produced at the same time, but its a solid transfer.

i think its a shame about the packaging though.
i for one, do not need the oversized cylon box, and the actual digipack used to hold the disc is not a nice as the one for the Hulk series.
the discs are very difficult to pry out of the hubs and come seriously close to breaking when i try.
Old 10-27-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ckolchak
i think its a shame about the packaging though.
i for one, do not need the oversized cylon box, and the actual digipack used to hold the disc is not a nice as the one for the Hulk series.
the discs are very difficult to pry out of the hubs and come seriously close to breaking when i try.
Ugh, I'd forgotten about the hubs. Those things are tool sof the devil! :P

Up in DVD Talk someone posted a link to some replacement covers though. http://www.rixgrafix.com/index_048.htm Those are definately the best way to go, and stuff that damn Cylon head in the closet.

Now to find a six-disk Alpha...
Old 11-11-03, 12:13 PM

Finally got my set last night...the packaging/extras are great for a TV show, but the picture is downright horrible. Heavy grain in a lot of shots - it almost looks like they transfered the DVDs from VHS versions of the show. If I already owned the VHS versions, I might be a little upset with what I'm getting here!
Old 01-06-04, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know the difference between this version and the one being released in Feb? I'm thinking it's just the packaging, can anyone confirm?