Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Ninja Scroll (10th Anniversary Edition)'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-30-03, 11:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I read John Wallis's DVD review of Ninja Scroll (10th Anniversary Edition) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7623 and...
while I agree with the technical merits of the film, I was appalled at the treatment of women. There were no less than three very graphic rape scenes in this film. We really need this in animation? These scenes repelled me so much that I could not enjoy the film - and I would be surprised if most women (or men who are sensitive to rape) could.

I think this should be highlighted in reviews of this film (not just here. very few reviews mention anything but one scene where the women "was almost raped." This does not give the impression of how graphic and repulsive that scene is, imho.) Had I known about the graphic rape scenes, I never would have gotten it.. Understand not everbody feels the same way as I do, but isn't an informed consumer the best consumer?

thanks!
Old 09-30-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
actually I think only the us and japan get the rape scene, everyone else has it cut. and this is japanese animation and is not meant for kids or the easily offended. (and I thought there was only one rape scene in the movie.
Old 09-30-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, there's also tons of violence, but that's OK by comparison, right?
Old 09-30-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Originally posted by bigbro79
Yeah, there's also tons of violence, but that's OK by comparison, right?
At least in my opinion, rape is by definition a violent act. There's a huge difference between a graphic rape scene and some exceedingly innocuous sex.

Let's not get too bogged down in a discussion of rape, though, since that's a little outside the scope of a DVD review forum. The topic is more about notifying viewers that a scene like this exists and perhaps whether or not that sort of material should be noted in a DVD review. I'd be more than happy to link to a splinter thread in the Other forum if some users would be interested in furthering the rape discussion, however.
Old 09-30-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least in my opinion, rape is by definition a violent act. There's a huge difference between a graphic rape scene and some exceedingly innocuous sex.
True, true. I hope I didn't seem like I was making light of anything, as rape is indeed a horrible act. However, I was trying to point out that there's tons of decapitations and blood spilled, so focusing on one "immoral act" over all the others seems a little strange to me.

Either way, Ninja Scroll is not exactly for the faint of heart. I'd recommend Hayao Miyazaki's stuff (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro ) for those who have a problem with excessive violence in any form (although Mononoke may be a little violent in some parts). They're all excellent.
Old 09-30-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 658 Likes on 408 Posts
I was so disgusted by the violence against women in Ninja Scroll that I had to turn it off immediately and started to watch Irreversible instead. It just started, hope it's good!
Old 09-30-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
I was so disgusted by the violence against women in Ninja Scroll that I had to turn it off immediately and started to watch Irreversible instead. It just started, hope it's good!
Old 10-01-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser

By the way, the review mentioned "the corrected version" of Ninja Scroll.

I have the previous "simple" DVD of NS and I didn't notice any audio or playback problems with it. That may not mean that it's not there of course.

Does anyone have any info about where I can find more detailed info about this?
Old 10-01-03, 01:19 PM

Origianlly posted by bill_n_opus
By the way, the review mentioned "the corrected version" of Ninja Scroll.

I have the previous "simple" DVD of NS and I didn't notice any audio or playback problems with it. That may not mean that it's not there of course.

Does anyone have any info about where I can find more detailed info about this?
The corrected versions had "QC" sticker on the packaging.
Old 10-02-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by EvlAsh
The corrected versions had "QC" sticker on the packaging.
Man, don't remember the packaging. Is there any other way to find out? Like batch number or production date ....
Old 10-02-03, 02:05 AM

I don't know of any other way to identify the corrected discs, but maybe this might help:

In the center of my disc (label side) it reads: L810 8776 700099A T90923-06 D CMCA

Lower side: L807 3791 NINJATWO 091112-12 D CMCA
Old 10-03-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you. I'll check it out.