Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Etre et Avoir (To Be and to Have)'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-15-03, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of Etre et Avoir (To Be and to Have) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7583 and...
ohmygod it sounds horrible! I'd of opened a vein or thrown myself under a bus to escape the sheer boredom! I know you like the weird and obscure, but this one sounds over the top even for you. Rent it? I'm surprised you didn't say come over and help me burn my copy...
Old 09-16-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,241 Likes on 826 Posts
Before you commit suicide over this film I suggest you read other reviews... This film is not "weird and obscure" it's an excellent documentary that has been praised by almost every critic out there. Philibert's goal isn't to criticize the education system or to "spice things up", it is to observe and show that there are still classrooms where the desire to learn is still present. That the French education system is not all violence, delinquency, lack of respect and lack of communication. Sure it's only one classroom, and a relatively small rural one at that. But Philibert is not interested in comparisons. In a world where we are constantly bombarded by images of young, foul-mouthed brats, he just wants to show that it's not all that. That there is still humanity in the classroom. That some teachers love their students, and that some kids are still interested to learn. It's a tender, touching, and often funny film that is well worth seeing.
Old 09-16-03, 11:15 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

I thank both of you for your input. I know Ginger's tastes better than anyone else and will be the first to admit, she really would rather jump under a bus than watch this one. All movies aren't made for all audiences so this is understandable.

Excentris, I wasn't the one who suggested the film was weird and obscure but, to be fair, a lot of people would surely take it that way (keep in mind that many folks have great distain for subtitles, the French, and documentaries in general-I'm not one of those people but I can understand where they're coming from).

I'd disagree that people can't learn in a more traditional system and admitted I liked some aspects of the classroom in the film. That doesn't make it any more interesting to watch after a short while. I guess I called it right when I said: " I’m suggesting it as a Rent It since I’ve come to the conclusion that people will either find this great or weak with little middle-ground."
Old 09-18-03, 10:28 PM

Excentris, be that as it may, I still think it sounds extremely boring. If I wanted to watch a movie about humanity in the classroom I'd watch How Green Was My Valley or To Sir With Love or even Blackboard Jungle. My favorite school movie is The Breakfast Club, but it has, like you say, young, foul-mouthed brats it in so that's not a good choice for tender and touching. As for as reading what the critics have to say, H.D. is a pal or I wouldn't read his stuff and I generally agree with his diagnosis, but by and large I think critics's tastes are all in their mouths. All too often their idea of 'great' and mine are poles apart. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and you have a intelligent way of writing your view point, but my purpose in watching any film is for the entertainment value not to be lulled to sleep.
Old 09-19-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,241 Likes on 826 Posts
Texasgingersnap,

Ah! Mr Houston being your pal explains the conversational tone of your original post. Perhaps you'd like to use the phone next time yes? Heck, he might even offer to lend you the DVD so you can actually watch the film for yourself and form your own opinion before starting a thread to bash it.

Seriously, I was slightly ticked off originally because I didn't get the point of you starting this thread. Normally someone would say something like "I read this review and the guy didn't seem to like this film, anyone else heard of or seen this?". Instead you just mention a review, proceed to bash the film to bits without having seen it while seemingly having a conversation with the reviewer.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive.
Old 09-20-03, 11:04 PM

I wouldn't say you're too sensitive, I'd say you're entitled to your opinion and you've expressed it. I'm also entitled to babble on so long as I don't break the forum rules. I don't expect you to know me or my style, but the way I started this thread is pretty indicative of the way I start most of my posts. I often comment on films that I haven't watched and don't intend to, but that shouldn't limit anyone from buying, renting, loving, bashing, or agreeing. Best bet would probably be when you see "Texasgingersnap" has started a thread is to keep on walking so your blood pressure doesn't rise if I upset you. Have a great weekend and maybe we'll exchange words again sometime.