Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

First Review of Bowling for Columbine DVD

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

First Review of Bowling for Columbine DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BJacks
So his points are invalid because you don't agree with them? However you want to slice it, Moore made some pretty bold editing maneuvers that severely misrepresented the truth. Do you not agree that the segment of him seemingly picking up a gun at the bank was completely dishonest? I don't see how anyone could agree with what he did. And those type of acts permeate throughout the entire film.
Once again, the entire question about whether he obtained that gun that day remains because the bank itself contends it didn't happen that way. Moore, however says that it did indeed happen that way:
Q. Is that bank that hands out guns for real?

A. Yes. North Country Bank (with branches throughout Northern Michigan) offers you a wide choice of guns when you open up a certificate of deposit account. In effect, they are giving you all of the interest the account will earn in advance in the form of a gun. The bank is also an authorized federal arms dealer so they can do the quick background check right there at the bank. I put $1,000 in a long-term account, they did the background check, and, within an hour, walked out with my new Weatherby-just as you see it in the film. (I did have a choice of getting a pair of golf clubs or a grandfather clock, but they didn’t have either of those hanging on the wall like they did those three rifles). I learned about the bank’s gun offer from an ad in the local paper that showed a gun across the top with the heading, " More Bang for Your Buck" from North Country Bank. I still have the account and the gun to this day (though I plan to legally "auction" off the gun for charity, and creatively have it destroyed-more on that later!)

http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com/about/faq.php
Since this is the primary instance of lying that most critics bandy about, i'd have to say that it's largely dismissable. As I see it, the Bank has a helluva lot more at stake in trying to debunk Moore than Moore does in clarifying the timeline. People were appalled that he got the gun so easily, so the Bank stepped up and denied it....plain enough.

Which, again, is why i'm very disappointed that Moore didn't do a commentary for the dvd....he could've greatly enhanced the film by addressing many of the convoluted and illogical criticisms that have been levied at the film.
Old 07-29-03, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys.......getting back to the actual review. It's the worst review I've ever read, I think that friggin Rex Reed could do a better review. This guy hates Michael Moore (clearly is a right winger) and calls documentaries "boring", he'd be better off reviewing Bad Boys and leaving the thoughtful films to someone with a brain.
Old 07-29-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is our review of the DVD:

http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev..._where=studios
Old 07-30-03, 01:44 PM

From the letters section:

I want to comment on the DVD review of "Bowling for Columbine" by Andy Patrizio. It seems ridiculous for such a great site like IGN to have an NRA member and complete idiot review this DVD. Mr. Patrizio defends Charlton Heston's racist comments made in the film without any valid reason. Mr. Patrizio says he was insulted by the comic strip within the movie about white settlers tearing this country apart because of their own insecurities and fears. What's wrong Patrizio.... does the truth hurt! It amazes me that such a great site such as IGN would employ such a conservative narrow-minded racist jackass such as Mr. Patrizio. Maybe the next documentary that's reviewed should be by an intelligent person who can put aside their bias of the director and review the documentary on its own merit. I truly hope that the rest of the IGN staff isn't like A-hole Patrizio. It is making me seriously reconsider renewing my membership with this site.

Jay

Andy responds: Heston made no racist comments and I didn't nor wouldn't defend them. Like Moore, you're a liar. Unlike Moore, you're also crude and uncreative.
Heston made no racist comments? "Mixed ethnicities"? I loved the irony of the foreign release poster (French?) of "Touch of Evil" in the background. That's the film where he played ... a Mexican. Can't wait to pick this up next month. Thanks jfrost for the review!
Old 07-30-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts
What exactly did Heston say?
Old 07-30-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Moore: "Why do you think we have all these problems with violence in America?"

Heston: "Well, we have a lot of mixed ethnicities...." in reference to other countries that don't....thus, our problem is all them colored folk.
Old 08-01-03, 09:27 AM

Not to go too much further OT, BUT: what's funny to me is the total lack of reason and logic in the charges against Moore of being illogical. This point is one that illustrates it perfectly - it's called irony - think about it....

Furthermore, anyone who went in with such bias and only watched half the film has no basis for criticizing it....clear that cloudy brain and watch it with an open mind, you just might be surprised....otherwise, you are no better than this IGN reviewer who makes no really valid points, just nitpicks based on preconcieved assumptions....
Rofl, huh ?????

To address your first comment....

How are my points illogical?... and I know what irony means... your attempt to use it however doesn't work.

TO address your second one....

I didn't watch this movie with any bias at all? You're making a huge assumption here and you're completely and totally wrong.

I was really looking forward to watching it but I found it just plain annoying. I didn't find any humor in it at all. In all honesty, the only thing I found laughable was the way he tried to make his argument.

And what is this suppossed to be a comedy?, a documentary? a combination of both? When you get an academy award for best "documentary" it's suppose to be for a documentary. In all seriousness the whole idea of him getting the award totally confused me.

And why do I not have the right to comment on the first half of the movie? That's the part I watched, that's the part I commented on.... I didn't think I had to watch the entire thing to get that right. Was there some recap in the second half that I missed where he explains all the points I made? If so, I'll take back my comments.
Old 08-01-03, 10:45 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

I saw a sign on a church yesterday that read: "The worst lies are those that are closest to the truth" (or something close to that-I'm not a bible historian but I believe it was a quote). If Moore's intention was to vent, the documentary sounds like a good thing (for him and his followers). If the point was to sway public opinon in favor of his stance, it sounds like he blew it (again).

While documentaries are often interesting to some of us, when they start to mislead by editing, manufacture evidence, select opposition that make poor rebuttals, and all the other things Moore has done in the past (I haven't seen BFC), they become just as weak as the propaganda films put ut by Germany in the late 30's.

The DVD: Okay, a lot of y'all bring up good points. I'd have rented it for a commentary myself. As it stands, I'll wait. While I have no doubt that Moore would spend most of it whining and moaning rather than addressing the actual criticisms of his "facts", it would probably be entertaining.

Bottomline: You don't have to be a mindless zombie to enjoy Moore (however much it helps), nor do you have to agree with him and his politics. IGN has a lot of good reviews and while some may dislike Andy's review, at least he steps up to the plate (unlike most of his critics) and writes them. If he happens to be their token "NRA/Right winger" as has been suggested, what's your point? Do you automatically dismiss the views of someone because they aren't a leftist or are a member of a group you dislike? Should all reviewers have to pass a political litmus test? Sounds like diversity is only good when it includes a small subset of the population...
Old 08-15-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDfile.com has a review for BFC. Atleast the reviewer was upfront with his views.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...columbine.html

Once again, I would like to see a "High powered" gun control (get rid of these high powered guns that can overwhelm the police force...).

But, MM could have done a better job by telling the whole truth than using lies to prove his point.

I will not buy, rent or watch this movie. If he had told the truth (with the edits of lies), the DVD would have been added to my collection with pride.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 08-16-03 at 09:33 AM.