Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Gods & Generals - Good Blind Buy ?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone see this in the theaters ?

I loved Gettysburg.
How does it compare ?
Old 07-14-03, 02:47 PM

Gettsyburg is one of my all time faves. I was really looking forward to this, but I honestly can't remember one decent review for it anywhere.

I think I'll do a $1 rental on it before I buy it. I'm sure it will be there on Tues ($1 nite) since I don't know anyone that wants to see it.
Old 07-14-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the reviews were torture but I'd rent it because since its on dvd, you can take breaks.
Old 07-14-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
WHY were the reviews torture? I did not see it but my friends who did really liked it. I want to buy it because I know it's long and want to be able to watch it was my leisure...
Old 07-14-03, 07:06 PM

I believe the reviews said it was very long, preachy, and boring.
Old 07-15-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by silentbob007
I believe the reviews said it was very long, preachy, and boring.
Yes, all that and (at points) surprisingly historically inaccurate.

I have not seen it yet myself. I was really looking forward to seeing this in the theater, but after every reviewer I trust said that the film was mediocre at best, it went into my Netflix queue instead.

If you are a huge Civil War buff, it may be worth a blind buy just for the commentary track (tracks?), but otherwise, I'd suggest a rental. Although I hope to be pleasantly surprised, I can't imagine any film with such universally bland reviews being worth buying.
Old 07-15-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no input on the quality of the film but figured I would toss this in... It will be available for enrollment at CH in October. If you can wait, and are in the States, go that route... That's what I intend to do.
Old 07-15-03, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
Yes, all that and (at points) surprisingly historically inaccurate.

I have not seen it yet myself...
Funny you would say that.

The DVDTalk reviewer who was a history major in college said it was incredibly historically ACCURATE.
Old 07-15-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by uteotw
Funny you would say that.
Hmmm... interesting.

Again, I haven't seen the movie. Maybe the comments about this are mostly anal-retentive nitpicking. But nearly every review I read mentioned it.

A quick Google search of "gods +generals +inaccuracies" brings up quite a few sites discussing it.

Who knows. I definitely am going to rent the thing. But the negative/mediocre reviews dampened my enthusiasm.
Old 07-15-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Gods...erals-1120554/
read all the crap reviews here
Old 07-16-03, 02:20 AM

Heaven forbid, that "inaccuracies" would get in the way of a good film ! Like it's the first time it's happening, or something !
Old 07-16-03, 10:29 AM

OK, I feel I can speak just a tad more authoritatively now that I've actually WATCHED the film.

It is very long but did not feel that long to me. It is a "sweeping epic," as they say, and I truly enjoyed it. If you don't tend to like those kind of movies, you probably won't enjoy this one.

It was quite odd at first to see a Civil War movie that's mainly from the Southern viewpoint. I had mainly vilified the South in my mind simply as people willing to die to protect slavery, and Gods & Generals put a more human face on the South than I'd ever seen. It does NOT make it seem like the South was "right," but it does a nice job of showing the war was more complex. There's a moment where
Spoiler:
a confederate soldier and a union soldier meet during a lull to share some coffee & tobacco that is incredibly poignant.

Jeff Daniels (is this the same guy from Dumb & Dumber?) is actually amazing, and so is Mira Sorvino (Romi & Michelle???), though she's in it very briefly.

In some parts it feels more like a play, because the talk is not at all what we're used to and does tend to go on at points. Yes, there are (gasp!) many references to God and the Bible, but Stonewall Jackson was, in fact, a religious man so I didn't take this as "preachy." I took it more as accurate.

GREAT sound, excellent widescreen picture. I haven't gotten to the extras yet but I will tonight. I can't believe we watched the whole thing in one sitting last night; it actually went by rather quickly. (The flipper disc has to be flipped at the most inopportune moment, it seems.)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents after watching it.
Old 07-16-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

(The flipper disc has to be flipped at the most inopportune moment, it seems.)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents after watching it.
I think warner wants us to watch these long movies in one sitting, that and putting the cut of once upon a time in america right in the middle of a gun fight.
Old 07-16-03, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I think warner wants us to watch these long movies in one sitting, that and putting the cut of once upon a time in america right in the middle of a gun fight.
Exactly. It seemed ridiculous. Gangs of New York had an odd switching point too, but in G&G it was it's in a battle, then it stops, then you flip, then the battle's over. VERY strange.
Old 07-16-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly. It seemed ridiculous. Gangs of New York had an odd switching point too, but in G&G it was it's in a battle, then it stops, then you flip, then the battle's over. VERY strange.
maybe that was the cut off point at theaters?
Old 07-16-03, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
maybe that was the cut off point at theaters?
For G&G? That's what I'd guessed, but it appears not:

Be warned though, this is a “flipper” disc – meaning half of the movie is on one side of the DVD and half is on the other side. The theatrical version (which I saw) did indeed contain an intermission, but the biggest problem here is that the end of side one does not occur at the same place the intermission did in the movie theater! Instead, it occurs about 15 to 20 minutes earlier and at an abrupt point in the movie. Whomever put this DVD together, they didn’t do a very good job of selecting a breaking point to flip the DVD over.
Old 07-17-03, 05:12 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Bought it from Wal*MArt for $17.88... but I haven't opened it yet... maybe I'll watch it this weekend... oh, and I haven't seen Gettysburg yet...

Should I watch that first?
Old 07-17-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You gotta rent gettysburg since it went oop for what ever reason (0r pay 50-70 big ones on ebay)
Old 07-17-03, 09:09 PM

Gods and Generals is one of the most boring war movies ever made......save your money and just wait till it is shown on TNT twice a day.
Old 07-18-03, 08:06 AM

This guy gives it his highest rating:

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews...generals.shtml
Old 07-18-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But, as a matter of contrast, that is the same reviewer who had this to say about the new La Femme Nikita disc:

"The presentation is very clean and clear without showing any notable mars or defects. The picture has a high level of definition, reproducing many of the subtle details in the production and beautiful cinematography. With its bold blacks, the image is deep and solid, making for a wonderful experience."

He also refers to what I consider to be some of the lamest and uninteresting supplements as "interesting" and "insightful".

His comments do not even remotely reflect what I (and just about every other reviewer) saw on that title.

Just a little perspective... I know every reviewer is going to have a different take on a film/DVD. But I definitely take things from this particular reviewer with a grain of salt after reading about the "superb" quality of the completely mediocre Nikita release.

(I'm really going to have to rent Gods & Generals soon... so I can actually participate in this discussion with some first-hand knowledge. )
Old 07-18-03, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
(I'm really going to have to rent Gods & Generals soon... so I can actually participate in this discussion with some first-hand knowledge. )
Dang--I saw your post and thought you must've watched it by now. So block off 3+ hours this weekend & give it a whirl!
Old 07-18-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't buy this movie. I saw it in theaters and it was entirely too long and boring...most of the people there walked out. The slow parts of the movie (extremely numerous amounts) are way too slow and they just dull the action scenes. If you are really into Civil War movies then I would check it out, but I don't suggest this as a blind buy.
Old 07-18-03, 07:40 PM

I saw this in a packed theater ( Surprised me ), and the audience was riveted the entire time. Kind of too long, the dialogue is kind of stilted, some sub-par special effects, but the acting saves the day. Stephen Lang, Jeff Daniels, Frankie Faison and Robert Duvall carry the film. The acting, combined with the sheer importance of this story help to make the film what it is . Ultimately, a flawed but entertaining look at U.S. history. Grade: B+

Off topic, but if people could sit through this almost 4 hour movie without flinching, why does Kill Bill need to be released as 2 parts?
Old 07-18-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Supreme Sean
Off topic, but if people could sit through this almost 4 hour movie without flinching, why does Kill Bill need to be released as 2 parts?
Notice the box office returns for G&G. Even if the audience you saw it with was riveted the whole time, as a general rule a long running time is a major turn-off for casual moviegoers.

90 minutes is really about as long as most people's attention spans will last these days. I've been to several movies lately that were around 2 hours on the nose and have heard complaints about length.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.