Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Incredible Hulk: Original Television Premiere

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Anybody pick this up today? How does it look? Also, did it come with a ticket for the movie?
Old 06-04-03, 01:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I also would like impressions on this! I was a huge fan of the show growing up. But what's the deal? They only put one stinking episode on this disc? Are they planning on releasing at least an entire season?
Old 06-04-03, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i put in the pilot for a few minutes and the quality appears to be very good.
a little bit of speckling on the print here and there, but everything else, sharpness, black levels, color, etc appear to be quite solid.

considering what it is- tv material from the 70's, i would rate what i saw an A-

if you have seen Universals Baretta discs, the quality here is very much on par with those (i.e. excellant)

Last edited by ckolchak; 06-04-03 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-04-03, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what about the commentary is it any good??..

kenneth Johnson has got to be an old guy no??..Can he keep himself and us awake for 90 minutes??
Old 06-04-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by isamu
Yes I also would like impressions on this! I was a huge fan of the show growing up. But what's the deal? They only put one stinking episode on this disc? Are they planning on releasing at least an entire season?

Actually, there are 2 episodes on here. The pilot and "The Wedding" I believe.
Old 06-08-03, 03:00 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The commentary tracks are excellent and very informative. I highly
recommend picking up the dvd.
Old 06-08-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have to revise my review.
i watched the Married episode last night and that one at least, is reference standard as far as 70s tv product goes.
A+
you won't find very many fullscreen discs at all, regardless of the content, that look this clean and sharp.

an incredible presentation and also heartbreaking when you realize just how much good TV material Uiversal controls that could also look this incredible that we just won't be seeing because the home video division is so poorly run.
Old 06-09-03, 12:41 PM

The commentaries on this DVD (there is one for both the Pilot and for "Married") are fantastic. Anyone who owns the Original V miniseries and has listened to Johnson's commentary on that DVD can expect the same kind of treat here.

I have the feeling at the end of the summer people will be saying how much better THIS Hulk is than the version Ang Lee is putting out!
Old 06-09-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a coupon included that you send in after you see the HULK movie along with your ticket stub for a refund.

The DVD includes two double length shows, so it is almost like getting four hour long episodes.

Don't be surprised to see Season sets of this one hit the market, like maybe when the new movie hits DVD.
Old 06-10-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just bought the DVD.

Can't wait to watch this with my boy.

I have not sceen the movie for over 20 years, all I can remember is Bruce changing the tire and his eyes turning green.

Sometimes can be lots of fun.
Old 06-11-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought both of the TV movies look & sounded great. I was amazed how clear, sharp and free from scratchs/dirt the Pilot movie was. Someone really had this on their heart to give the show the kind of respect it deserved (and the movie is coming out in a 10 days). The 2nd show was very good, but I did not watch all of it, I had to play some hoops outside while my daughter watched "The Hulk gets married".

I am not sure how many time I will watch the show over and over again, but it was great going down memory lane for a few hours.

My daughter turned to me and said she wanted to watch another Hulk show. I had to tell her that their were only 2 movies on the DVD.

I have not listen to the commentary yet, but the preview of Hulk movie was cool to watch - it lasted about 5 minutes.

If you are a fan of the show, you will not be dissappointed in the Video or Sound.
Old 06-12-03, 10:48 PM

I picked this up yesterday at Wal-Mart and watched both episodes. I barely remember them when they were on tv since I was only 4 or 5. Both were awesome and hope they come out with season by season on dvd. I know I'll buy them.
Old 06-16-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
When this first came out, it seemed like I saw huge displays for it in every grocery store or Walmart I entered. Now that I'm looking to buy it, its sold out everywhere so I have to laugh.

Are the masses that are buying this actual fans of the TV series, or do people honestly think they are buying this summer's blockbuster before it even hits theaters? The packaging cracks me up because they are obviously trying to fool you into thinking its the actual movie about to come out - so it really makes me wonder if these rapid sales are solely dependent on fooling consumers.
Old 06-16-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm only about halfway through the commentary on the pilot, but it is excellent. Definitely worth a listen.
Old 06-16-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by rennervision
When this first came out, it seemed like I saw huge displays for it in every grocery store or Walmart I entered. Now that I'm looking to buy it, its sold out everywhere so I have to laugh.

Are the masses that are buying this actual fans of the TV series, or do people honestly think they are buying this summer's blockbuster before it even hits theaters? The packaging cracks me up because they are obviously trying to fool you into thinking its the actual movie about to come out - so it really makes me wonder if these rapid sales are solely dependent on fooling consumers.
When I bought the DVD, my kids where excited that they could watch the Hulk. I had to tell them it was only the old TV show.

In The Hulk gets married, watch Bruce's hands at the table when he is talking to the woman about how he did not die in the fire at the lab. In the commentary they talk about how they had to film the screen at several different times and his hands are popping all over the place. It is now funny to watch after listening to the commentary.

I need to finish watching the rest of the commentaries for both of the shows.
Old 06-16-03, 02:23 PM

I had the good fortune to rent one of the R2 discs of the hulk - and this treatment looks so much better than the Replay discs.

The good news of course is that the show stands up to the test of time. The pilot was just as solid as when I saw it 20 years ago. (the R2 disc also shows that the pilot wasnt a fluke. The other episodes I saw - also the only Hulk I saw in the last 20 years - were just as soild).

I cant wait for more episodes. . . .
Old 06-16-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does this mean were gonna see season sets??
Old 06-17-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

about the time the movie comes out on DVD, you know the first season will be released.
Old 06-17-03, 02:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Dang. I picked this up last week and watched it today. It was okay, but it's an old 1970's show. It's not the Ang Lee movie folks...don't be fooled like I was!
Old 06-17-03, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Dang. I picked this up last week and watched it today. It was okay, but it's an old 1970's show. It's not the Ang Lee movie folks...don't be fooled like I was!
Yes, Groucho was fooled into watching a well-written story instead of the mindless CGI cartoon he was looking for! Watch out!
Old 06-17-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Spooky
Yes, Groucho was fooled into watching a well-written story instead of the mindless CGI cartoon he was looking for! Watch out!
Agreed, the TV show was very well written. Bill Bixby really makes you feel the hurt that Bruce Banner feels being trapped with the Hulk inside him.

Now the movie may also be awesome, Friday will be the to praise or slam the movie.
Old 06-17-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's the only Hulk TV DVD that is worth buying. Great commentaries with the director. And great episodes. I'm not sure how the younger crowd will look at this. But if you're a fan of the TV series then this is a must-buy.
Old 06-20-03, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agree with everbody great show and to Ken Johnson for his insightful commentaries.

..Although he did make reference to The Bionic Woman + Six Millon Dollar Man several times

Does this mean they have a future on dvd??..That would be really cool Kenny Boy

Don't make me angry Mr. Johnson You wouldn't like me when I'm angry

Last edited by shanester; 06-20-03 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-25-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately, I don't see much hope in getting boxed set. Most boxed set come out in other regions first and then get ported over to R1. Other regions have discs of the Hulk with about 3 episode per disc. But they haven't been released as seasons to my knowledge. But, they should release it as seasons since there are only about 4 seasons.