Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite Britcom?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

What's your favorite Britcom?

Old 07-01-03, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia
Get Coupling Season 1 on dvd now before the bastardized American version starts airing this fall
Agreed!

Doesn't that American Version just look god-awful!
Old 07-01-03, 08:23 AM

I used to like "Keeping up Appearances" and "As Time Goes By", but the local pbs outlets have beaten them to death. Lots of high quality scripts, and acting by Judi Dench and the Lionel character, there.

AbFab has gotten to be a cliche of it's former self. The first shows were EXCELLENTLY radical, and again, high quality scripts and acting, all around. Unfortunately, the "last" episode produced, wasn't up to par with the earlier efforts.

French and Saunders, solo, prove they have the talent, but their efforts don't get recognized, this side of the water, it seems.

"Vicar of Dibley" is truly a remarkably, well done comedy gem, that doesn't get the replays here, it should. I understand that the maid/and Roz the assistant actors on Frasier, optioned the show for US production, with the Moon character playing the Vicar...but it hasn't panned out, fortunately. Can you just imagine what the American-ized version would be ? EGOD !
Old 07-02-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My favs are:

Are you being served?
Take A Letter Mr. Jones
Yes, Minister
Keeping up Appearances
Butterflies are Free
Red Dwarf

Anyone know the name of the Britcom with the "superhero" husband and the "normal" wife? I've only caught bits & pieces of this sitcom and it sure is funny.
Old 07-02-03, 01:24 PM

There is one show with mostly old people in it... Very funny.. One scene I remember is an old guy was building some old submarine where you lay down in it, and got his friend or something rather inside of it to try it out... It's been a long time since I saw it on pbs so my description might be a little vague.. anyone have any clue on it by some far out chance?
Nevermind, after a bit more research I found out that it was a show called "Last of the Summer Wine" .. The shows I watched were hilarious!

Other shows I love are:
Bean
Absolutely Fabulous

Last edited by Natedogg; 07-02-03 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-02-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by buckee1
Anyone know the name of the Britcom with the "superhero" husband and the "normal" wife? I've only caught bits & pieces of this sitcom and it sure is funny.
I think you may be referring to 'My Hero' featuring Ardal O'Hanlon from the Father Ted series in the main role.

And i've mentioned it before in this thread etc you really should try to catch the following if they are showing on any of your American/Canadian networks.

Alan Partridge - Knowing Me Knowing You
I'm Alan Partridge
The Day Today
Phoenix Nights
Drop The Dead Donkey
Spaced
Old 07-04-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to go with The Young Ones.
Old 07-05-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thinking about checking out "The League of Gentlemen. Is it very good?
Old 07-05-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Office

Fawlty Towers

Mr Bean

Steptoe And Son

Only Fools And Horses

Porridge

Spitting Image

Just to mention a few
Old 07-05-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by indycohiba
Thinking about checking out "The League of Gentlemen. Is it very good?
I highly recommend it. At times quite sick, almost always very twisted, and totally unlike anything that would ever aired on American tv.

I just really hope that series 2 gets released on dvd in Region 1 too.
Old 07-07-03, 10:50 AM

Keeping Up Appearances is my favorite. I live with the male version of Hyacinth so I can relate to Richard's situation.
Old 07-08-03, 12:59 AM

Anybody besides me remember "The Goodies", a Pythonesque series from the early/mid 70s. Very surrealistic.
Old 07-11-03, 02:09 PM
Banned

Mapp and Lucia

The best has GOT to be the very posh and genteel, yet catty MAPP AND LUCIA which is actually available in R1 as a Season One Box Set. Its truly the stuff that all Britcoms should be like and I highly recommend it!! If you like 'Keeping up Appearances' you would love this one. Its even better.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846
Old 07-13-03, 02:02 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Ah yes Alan Partridge, Steve Coogan is great in that series.

I love Fry and Laurie, those 2 guys I could watch in anything, which is why Jeeves and Wooster is hilarious.

You should also try and get the movie Wilt, its hilarious, based on an hysterical Tom Sharpe book. Search for the R2 DVD on amazon uk.

Mel Smith And Griff Rhys Jones, are similar to Fry and Laurie and are in Wilt, and many other comedy shows.
Old 07-14-03, 12:11 PM

Anybody remember "Whoops Apolocalypse" from, oh, sometime in the early 80's? I think there was only one series, and for reasons I never understood it seemed to disappear without trace. The story was based on some sort of accidental superpower nuclear standoff triggered by terrorists.
Old 07-15-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Red Dwarf, Are you Being Served?, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, and Mr Bean Collection.

Red Dwarf is my Favorite all time followed by AYBS, Fawlty, Black Adder, then Bean.
Old 07-15-03, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by caligulathegod
Father Ted.
Glad to see that somebody else likes that show. Father Jack is the best.

I also enjoy Keeping Up Appearances ("The Bucket household, the lady of the house speaking!"), Mr. Bean and Are You Being Served.
Old 07-17-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Surprised no one else has said this but for me it's gotta be "Ali G". That dude is hilarious.
Old 07-19-03, 05:21 AM

i'm from england and i've got a lot of comedy DVDs, these are the ones I would recommend if you can get them:
SPACED-very funny very surreal,throws everything in,the writer/star loves comics and films and throws loads of references into every episode.
THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMAN-very twisted comedy,very dark buy hilarious series about a small town of misfits,watch it and you wish you were "local"!
BRASS EYE-a very contriversal series,it took on subjects in a spoof news formatIt got a lot of flak in the U.K. press for bad taste but proved that minor celebrities would do anything to get their face on t.v.
BO' SELECTA-a very wierd series about celebrities,a man goes around like a stalker talking to c-list celebs,and they also do impressions of david blaine,ozzy and micheal jackson.very funny if you understand british humour.
all the disc's I,ve mentioned can be purchesed from amazon.co.uk or play.com.They do put alot of extras on these discs so you do get alot of value from them.
Old 07-19-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jdslater
THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMAN-very twisted comedy,very dark buy hilarious series about a small town of misfits,watch it and you wish you were "local"!
I believe this can still be caught on Comedy Central from time to time if you wish to get a quick taste.
Old 07-20-03, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Natedogg
There is one show with mostly old people in it... Very funny.. One scene I remember is an old guy was building some old submarine where you lay down in it, and got his friend or something rather inside of it to try it out... It's been a long time since I saw it on pbs so my description might be a little vague.. anyone have any clue on it by some far out chance?
This is a long shot but there's a homeguard-themed series called "Dad's army", where most of the characters are old people. IMDB

My favourite is "Yes, minister", I have the first two seasons of it. Blackadder is very good too. Mr. Bean used to be very funny but I've seen the episodes so many times that it has become a bit old.
Old 07-20-03, 11:05 PM

Good news Coupling fans. The second season is being released on 10/28, according to barnesandnoble.com. I think it is also available for pre-order on bbcamerica.com, but the link they give for it is dead, so I'll keep checking period periodically to see if it's back up.
Old 07-22-03, 06:40 PM

Keeping up Appearances, Fawlty Towers, and Are You Being Served, all for the same reason: Characters trying (unsuccessfully) to maintain an image of formality & upper class.

Butterflies: A comedy that took a serious turn as it progressed. I like Geoffrey Palmer.

The Good Neighbors (also called, I think, The Good Life)
Old 07-23-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bottom is my favorite sitcom, British or otherwise, of all time.
Another vote for Spaced, which is a modern classic in its own right.
And yet another vote for The Office, although it gets a little serious towards the end of season 2.
Old 07-25-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by caligulathegod
Father Ted.
I was wondering why nobody had mentioned this yet. I love this show and have already picked up S1-3 on dvd, and for me it's the funniest britcom since Monty Python.
Old 07-27-03, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Father Ted is one of my favorites. It doesn't get 1/2 of the credit it deserves. Anyone who hasn't watched it should give it a chance!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.