Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVDFile's HILARIOUS "Real Cancun" review

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-10-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Enjoy. I sure did:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ealcancun.html

<small>From the forum FAQ:

Feel free to provide all the links to external reviews you want as long as you aren't affiliated with the site. Do not, however, cut and paste the entire review into our forum. These folks put a good bit of work into their reviews, they deserve the click throughs.
Edited to remove the entire text of article.</small>
Old 06-10-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apparently he hasn't seen some of my dumps. I think I could at least get an oscar nod if not take home the prize.
Old 06-10-03, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter Bracke hates everything.

The Real Cancun was a pretty good movie.
Old 06-10-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pdjennings

He does not hate everything. I've been reading his reviews for a long time. I'll take his word over yours on the film.
Old 06-10-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like his reviews too - I don't always agree, but I didn't think Cancun was as terrible as it was portrayed. It was much like spending an hour and a half watching MTV uncut. Nothing new.
Old 06-10-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you actually payed money to see this then you got what you deserved.
Old 06-10-03, 12:31 PM
Banned

From the article:
Wrapping it up is some promo material, including 11 minutes from the film's premiere at LA's Egyptian Theater. This is funny 'cause the cast seems to think the flick is going to hit big, and of course it totally tanked. Say hello, good-bye, to your 15 minutes. Last but not least is the film's theatrical trailer plus 7 TV spots.
That can't be true. This didn't get a premiere at the Egyptian did it? On Monday-Wednesday do they use it as venue for premieres? The rest of the week it's a revival venue that features exotic foriegn imports and very indie films. They wouldn't touch this shyte with a ten foot pole.
Old 06-10-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pdjennings

Hmmm, IMDB says 2.0/10. I think I'll go with Peter Bracke on this one too.
Old 06-10-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Hmmm, IMDB says 2.0/10. I think I'll go with Peter Bracke on this one too.
Which puts it in the coveted #1 spot on the IMDB bottom documentary list. So, at least as far as IMDB voters are concerned, this is the worst documentary of all time. It also has more votes than any of the other movies in the "bottom ten," so it's unlikely to lose its position unless people really start rating those Faces of Death movies a lot lower.
Old 06-10-03, 02:20 PM
Banned

I can't imagine anyone plopping down on their couch and watching that crap, let alone any having PAID 8 bucks to sit through it in a theater.
Old 06-10-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I havent seen this movie nor do i want to, but there's no reason to turn this into a "Real Cancun sucks balls even though i haven't seen it" crap fest. There was enough of that in the Movie forum when it was released in theaters.
Old 06-10-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fumanstan
I havent seen this movie nor do i want to, but there's no reason to turn this into a "Real Cancun sucks balls even though i haven't seen it" crap fest. There was enough of that in the Movie forum when it was released in theaters.
Funmanstan, drop it. You already blitzed my other thread when I talked about it tanking at the box-office a few weeks ago. If you don't want to join in on the fun laughing at this movie, then go somewhere else.
Old 06-11-03, 02:06 PM
Registered

We got the DVD in our office late yesterday so I sat down and watched it last night (expect a full feature review from one of our columnists in the next few weeks).

My take on The Real Cancun:

This movie simply has gotten a bum rap. Everyone who has an axe to grind has picked The Real Cancun as their whipping boy. It's been a long time since I've seen this many people WANTING a movie to fail and fail miserably.

All in all I really enjoyed The Real Cancun for what it is - A 90 Minute filmed Reality TV show about spring break in Cancun. It's produced by the same folks who did MTV's The Real World, and you can just tell that they enjoy the freedom of an 'R' Rated format to explore more of the selatious elements of a reality show.

Is The Real Cancun an amazing movie? No. It's far from perfect, but put it along side many of the 'Romantic Comedy' or recent 'Teen Sex Comedies' and it does hold its weight. My biggest gripe about The Real Cancun is the fact that it is way too short. Reality TV is a 'long form' entertainment and this movie clocking in just over 90 mins has to condense way to much in far to little time. The result is, we learn a lot less about the people, have less of an opportunity to connect with them and generally feel rushed through the look at spring break.

The DVD itself is SPECTAULAR. I was WOWed by both the picture and sound. New Line has done a simply fantastic job with the transfer and it easily outclasses most of the 'Superbit' releases.

The extras on the disc are plentiful and entertaining. There's a perspectives section with interviews with some of the key people involved in the film as well as some additional footage that sheds more light on some of the key events of the film.

There are also a number of deleted scenes, most notably one where 2 of the key people in the film have sex (something that was left out of the film) and would be something I'd consider a KEY plot point.

Finally there's footage from the priemere of the film so you get to hear what the participants thought of the film.

The Real Cancun is an enjoyable film with a bad rap. If you are a fan of reality tv, or teenage sex comedys, The Real Cancun should be right up your alley. So many people have trashed this film without actually seeing it, which is too bad. While I don't think reality tv's future is in theaters, seeing one with such high production values does give a window into the possabilites for the format.
Old 06-11-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by gkleinman
Everyone who has an axe to grind has picked The Real Cancun as their whipping boy. It's been a long time since I've seen this many people WANTING a movie to fail and fail miserably.
Save that honor for Kangaroo Jack!!
Old 06-11-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

gkleinman, I believe you're missing the point. Most people are ragging on the idea of this film, not the movie itself.
I just posted this review because I thought it was funny. This was a critic who not only hated the movie, but he agrees it was a bad idea for the big screen as well. I'm glad you enjoyed it. But you did so where it should have been seen all along, on television. I don't think we need Reality TV in the theatres, I'm sorry. Will I ever watch "The Real Cancun" on television? Maybe. If I'm bored and it's on HBO as I'm flipping the channel. I certainly won't rent it.
Old 06-11-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
If "reality tv" doesn't belong in theaters, what about "cinema verite"?
Old 06-12-03, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by GuessWho
If "reality tv" doesn't belong in theaters, what about "cinema verite"?
"cinema verite" is made by an artist, The Real Cancun is made by schlockmeister garbage pervayors.

Klienman, as stated before, the reason people object to this is that we don't want TV quality dreck glorified 40 feet tall at the multiplex. The existance of this movie drags the cinema into the gutter with television. The makers of this movie see cinema as belonging in the gutter. That or they don't care if it goes in the gutter. I'm glad everyone skipped this junk food movie (now if they'd only skip all the other junk food movies)
Old 06-12-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pants

Klienman, as stated before, the reason people object to this is that we don't want TV quality dreck glorified 40 feet tall at the multiplex. The existance of this movie drags the cinema into the gutter with television. The makers of this movie see cinema as belonging in the gutter. That or they don't care if it goes in the gutter. I'm glad everyone skipped this junk food movie (now if they'd only skip all the other junk food movies)

Exactly. I mean honestly, do you think anyone would be talking about this (or give two s-h-i-t-s about it) had it been shown on television only? Or a direct to video feature? My guess would be no.
Old 06-13-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for an actually insightful review gkleinman. I actually liked Peter's review as he took time to actually present his thoughts on the film in a decent manner unlike some other DVD Review sites.

Last edited by fumanstan; 06-13-03 at 01:05 AM.