Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review of The Hot Rock AKA Another Robert Redford and the team movie finally comes on

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review of The Hot Rock AKA Another Robert Redford and the team movie finally comes on

Old 06-05-03, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much to my surprise sooner than I thought, the DVD for the 1972 hidden gem "The Hot Rock" was on the shelves and man what a good buy at $9.99
For those of you not familiar with this film, here goes. John Dortmunder (Robert Redford) has recently been released from prison assured not to go back into his life of crime. That is, until his brother-in-law Kelp (George Segal) tempts him into another job, this one involving an African diplomat (Moses Gunn) and a precious gem known as the Sahara Stone. The money is tempting and Dortmunder is reluctant at first but then after careful deliberation the job, according to Dortmunder, "is what I do".
Two other associates Greenberg (Paul Sand) and Murch (Ron Leibman) join in on the job, but getting the stone isn't as easy as they think or as difficult as they make it even when a mysterious lawyer (Zero Mostel) comes into the mix with his own motives for the gem.
I was introduced to this film on AMC a few years ago in it's original widescreen form and I've loved it ever since and thank god for DVD because any pan and scan version of this movie on any other cable channel comes out directly from the hard to find original video and it's quality is less desirable to say the least. This was a 3 film follow-up from director Peter Yates after Bullitt and with a penchant for fast cars and explosions, he turns in a more lighter fare and an enjoyable romp that's short and sweet despite the 70's decor and casual mood which adds its own bit of coolness with one of the only movie with clearance to low fly a helicopter along NYC waters(and a then in-progress World Trade Center) with a thefty jazz score by the immortal Quincy Jones and a surprising editing Oscar nomination.
Does the quality here live up? You bet. The 2.35:1 widescreen form is always been a favorite of mine and it's well displayed here even in the 70's stock film which has limitations of it's own, but is leaps and bounds over any pan and scan version.
The sound has 4 channels. At first when seeking them I thought a hidden commentary would make it's way on channel #4. It wasn't until going onto the language category of the menu that it's for stereo mono 2.0 and all sound channels sound awesome.
As for the extras there isn't much but most times for many movies on DVD I only ask for a trailer and this one is no exception. Along with a wonderful trailer for the feature, this DVD includes trailers for "Brubaker" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
Overall, The Hot Rock is a fun little trip from the 70's that is worth the 10 dollars I paid and more. Definitely a keeper and comes recommended and worthy of addition to any DVD collection

Christopher Bligh

"MEIN FURHER!!!!! I CAN WALK!!!!!!"-Dr. Strangelove
Old 06-06-03, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my favorites; I still have the laser disk. I have this on order as we speak. It's too bad that the psuedo followup, Bank Shot, was released in a pan and scan version. Would have made a nice twin bill.