DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Your thoughts please: Should I get the Bond 7-disk set? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/297056-your-thoughts-please-should-i-get-bond-7-disk-set.html)

DVD NDN 06-05-03 11:09 AM

Your thoughts please: Should I get the Bond 7-disk set?

I recently got Die Another Day from Best Buy and it came with a $10 off coupon for the new 7-disk set of Bond vol.1. I was going to price match it with the Target ad of 69.99 then apply the coupon to make it $59.99 -- not bad for 7 disks, actually 8 since the set from Best Buy has a bonus disk attached.
Should I buy this set or wait a few years for the new sets. I'm not the biggest fan but I would like to own the movies. I could wait a year or two...especially if the new sets have DTS...
Or should I go with this deal?
Thanks in advance

marty888 06-05-03 11:51 AM

The current releases are really good .... outstanding extras and solid commentary tracks. If you're a Bond fan, don't deprive yourself - you'll love 'em.

REL77 06-05-03 11:54 AM

Why would you thinkthat they would re-release them yet again in Box set form only to add DTS. I think these that are coming out are the final editions. There solid and well done. I could get it, get movies and you cant beat that price.

Jim 06-05-03 12:04 PM

I'll add another vote for getting the set. The price is good and the extras are great. Watching the documentaries about each one will likely make you appreciate the series even more.

Another option for getting these even cheaper is to get them through Columbia House. They are all available individually as enrollment selections.

MasterofDVD 06-05-03 12:08 PM

I would say jump on the deal. I'm very glad to have the entire collection and I wouldn't of been able to wait any longer.

I wouldn't trust a company to release a set like this with features this good and AND DTS. My faith is movie studios seems to shrink the more DVDs I get....with the exception of a few companies.

You can hold out for the DTS but there is nothing that says you'll get all the extras. And I'm not really sure the older films need DTS. I prefer the original sound and don't think they should be messed witn.

Static Cling 06-05-03 12:20 PM

Since this is about a specific purchase, moving to DVD R&R.

Rypro 525 06-05-03 01:04 PM

I think there is a rumor that they will rerelease these in 2005 with dd 5.1 remixed sound and new extras and restored picture.

bboisvert 06-05-03 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I think there is a rumor that they will rerelease these in 2005 with dd 5.1 remixed sound and new extras and restored picture.
I hadn't heard that rumor, but I suppose anything is possible.

But, ultimately, these are the James Bond movies. MGM is going to re-release and re-re-release, and re-re-re-release them until the end of time.

If you want them, at some point you have to just bite the bullet and make the purchase... even knowing that a 'better' release may show up in 2-3 years. 9 bucks a disc sounds like as good a time to do this as any. (And it's not like these discs suck or anything -- they look and sound great and have an incredible amount of extra material.)

gutwrencher 06-05-03 03:05 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
If you want them, at some point you have to just bite the bullet and make the purchase... even knowing that a 'better' release may show up in 2-3 years.
look at it harshly....you could be dead in a year. buy it/them now. really, why wait? money? give me a break.:D