Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

King of the Hill - Season 1

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-05-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is our review of the Complete First Season of King of the Hill:

http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev..._where=studios
Old 06-05-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the review! I can't wait to pick it up. Isn't Season Two comming out in September?
Old 06-10-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely gonna pick this one up. I never really watched king of the hill until they put it on after the simpsons weekdays here. Now I love the show. Can't wait to pick this one up.
Oh, and if you take a look at IMDB, read the user comments on the main page. further proof that the user comments/plot summaries on that site are worthless and sometimes spoilerish drivel.
Old 06-10-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually agree with some of the comments from IMDB. I thought this show was definatly the poorest out of all the Fox animated series (Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy). Although i do think there are some episodes are funny, particuarly ones involving Bobby and Dale.
Old 06-11-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Here's my DVD Talk review. What a fun set!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6602
Old 06-11-03, 05:44 PM
Cool New Member

Great review.

The weird thing is that I think the animation was actually better in season 1 than it is now. The drawing of the characters wasn't dead-on, but the actual animation, in terms of the way the characters moved, had more "acting" to it sometimes than we get now. (Like the smoking episode: The characters really act with their faces and bodies in a way that they rarely do in a current episode.) Also they had more flashbacks and fantasy sequences and opportunities for the artists to do their thing. Oh, and I'm reminded that Bobby's voice used to be easier on the ear than it is now.

I'm a bit surprised that Mike Judge isn't doing any commentaries (nor is Brittany Murphy, but that's less surprising -- Luanne is my favorite character and I have to wait five weeks nowadays in between her occasional appearances). Also I would have liked to have more than one writer and one director doing commentaries, but I think it's a logistical thing; most of the first-season writers left after season 5 -- even Johnny Hardwick no longer writes for the show -- and I guess they're not going to do what The Simpsons does and round up ex-staffers and bring them into the studio. Still this sounds like an exceptional set.

Interesting point: "The Company Man" did not air until season 2, but it is included here because it was produced with the season 1 episodes. And the episodes are in production, not airing order. Will be interesting to see if they keep that up in future seasons, because as time went on they've had more and more "leftover" episodes air later than the seasons for which they were produced. Oops, rambling now...

Last edited by tobiagorrio; 06-11-03 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-12-03, 07:48 PM
Banned

king of the hill is a pretty good show im gonna put this dvd on hold thought cause i have to buy simpsons season 3, family guy volume 2, futurama season 2