Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is Band Of Brothers Box Set Reallt That Great?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 04-20-03, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE TRIED TO TRADE FOR THIS SET IN DVD EXCHANGE FOR A LONG TIME. NOBODY WANTS TO PART WITH IT. JUST WONDERING IF IT'S REALLY THAT GOOD? SO I KNOW WHETHER I SHOULD JUST PURCHASE IT.
Old 04-20-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes it is!..It's not a set most people would trade or sell..

PS...It's "REALLY" check your spelling..
Old 04-20-03, 07:48 PM

Band of Brothers is the real deal. I can't say enough great things about this series.
Old 04-20-03, 08:17 PM
Suspended

The reason why no one wants to part with it is because it's that good!
Old 04-21-03, 09:04 AM

Take Saving Private Ryan and look at it as a small piece of BoB. In BoB you get the full view from beginning to end. It has amazing fighting sequences and you care more about the characters because you have more time to learn what makes them tick. This is hands down the best War movie (set) of all time IMO.
Old 04-21-03, 10:47 AM

In a way, Band Of Brothers is better than Saving Private Ryan, because it is based on actual events of the 101st Airborne Division in WWII. What happens to most of the main characters actually happened.

The series covers the 101st from D-Day to VE-Day. It is very good and well worth getting if you can find it for $50 or so.

It was filmed in widescreen and the DVDs are anamorphic, so watching this HBO event on a wide screen home theater is often better than it was watching it on 480i HBO.

Airborne!!!
Old 04-21-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes...it is really that great. I originally purchased my set through Amazon.ca with every intention of watching it and selling it on ebay. Do not have HBO.....

Watched it and will be keeping it!!!! Picked this up last November.
Old 04-21-03, 05:47 PM
Cool New Member

Bought it as a "blind buy" and yes, it IS that good!!
You won't regret a buy.
Enuff said, enuff threads....
Old 04-21-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Damn, this question seems to pop up once a month.
Old 04-22-03, 12:48 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Buy it, its worth it. I bought it as a blind buy and have no regrets.
Old 04-22-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been wanting to get this for a while now but I just can't pull the trigger. I have no doubt that it's worth a viewing based on what I've heard but how much replay value does it have? I've never seen it since I don't have HBO and I'd hate to pay the money to rent all of those discs.
Old 04-22-03, 11:04 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chipmac
I've been wanting to get this for a while now but I just can't pull the trigger. I have no doubt that it's worth a viewing based on what I've heard but how much replay value does it have? I've never seen it since I don't have HBO and I'd hate to pay the money to rent all of those discs.
Replay value is pretty good. For the size of the set, I could watch it at least 3-4 times a year.
Old 04-22-03, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by chipmac
You are going to watch it at least twice(so figure about 18-20 hours of viewing) because there is so much going on, you will probably need the second viewing to appreciate all the characters. I have watched it I guess 3 times now(TV plus twice on the DVD set). Not a bad price per hour of viewing, better than a lot of the other dvds I own.
Old 04-22-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by CitizenKaneRBud
The reason why no one wants to part with it is because it's that good!
EXACTLY. Worth every penny.
Old 04-22-03, 03:46 PM
Banned

just put up my entire dvd collection on dvdexchange in hopes somebody will part with band of brothers.
Old 04-22-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guess I'll look on ebay some time this summer for this set. . .I really liked the episodes I saw on T.V. One in particular I enjoyed thoroughly, where it basically focused on that medic from louisiana, and he came into contact with a woman who was a nurse in a local hospital. . . .anyways, I thought that episode was very well done.
Old 04-23-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked it up for $40 at half.com and it was a blind buy. I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago, and I must also say that it is probably one of the BEST WWII stories ever told. The picture quality is excellent, the sound is awesome....but where the set really shines is the display of humanity of the soldiers. You feel just as scared as they do(well, atleast I did)when they go off on those crazy suicide type missions. Made me give a whole new level of respect and gratitude to the men and women who fought in WWII. Go get the set. And if you dont like it, just give it to me.....I can give it to my Dad
Old 04-23-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was filmed in widescreen and the DVDs are anamorphic, so watching this HBO event on a wide screen home theater is often better than it was watching it on 480i HBO.

Amen brother
Old 04-23-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have only seen the first episode (tonight I'll watch 2), even though there was no war action, it was still very well done, my only minor problem was the casting of David Schwimmer better known as Ross on Friends. Sometimes its hard to take the character seriously but I got used to it.
Old 05-01-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by theneobez
One in particular I enjoyed thoroughly, where it basically focused on that medic from louisiana, and he came into contact with a woman who was a nurse in a local hospital. . . .anyways, I thought that episode was very well done.

That was BY FAR the best episode of the entire series. That one episode alone is worth the $75 for the set.
Old 05-02-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok I picked it up last week at Costco and just finished the last episode. I've got to say thanks to all of you who convinced me to buy it. This is definitely the single best blind buy I ever made. I thoroughly enjoyed each episode and will certainly enjoy watching it more than once. It was very dramatic without the sappy Speilberg touches of SPR. I'm very glad I made this purchase. I'm just pissed it took me so long.
Old 05-02-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just ordered this on half.com for around $44 shipped. My version will supposedly be the region 1 w/ the tin case, but does anyone know if the one they mainly sell on ebay still works in region 1 and is still the same as the US release(aka, the extras, sound, anamorphic ws, etc.)? I just don't want to wind up with a "bad" versions of this film. I don't mind if the movies have chinese writing on the cases, just as long as movies themselves are the same as the US release. Thanks in advance and I'm eagerly awaiting this blind buy.
Old 05-02-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

kneijst1
Don't know but if it's the R1 w/tin case I think your pretty safe. I picked mine up from Blockbuster during one of their "buy 2 get 1 free" deals. Ended up being $40 for the entire set plus the My First Mister DVD(another excellent film). So about $32 for the entire set which is a STEAL. Then I went to dvdcoverart.com, printed out some custom covers and WALLAH!! Best deal I've ever scored hands down!!! I've been recommending this title to my friends ever since.
Old 05-02-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks C_Fletch. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!!
Old 05-03-03, 05:12 PM

Blind purchase here as well.

The best "set" I own! Don't exchange, just go out and but it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.